Who has shaved a neck and can tell about the results?

DonP

Reaction score
I've had a CR8 I bought new in 2009. Not an overly fat neck, but I'd be much happier if it was like my G0 neck.

Needless to say I've thought about having it shaved for years and never had the balls.

Well, I know Jimmy Page did it and like the results. I'm wondering who else has done it too.

I love the color of my CR8 (dirty lemon). It weight 7lbs 1 oz. And it has the best looking top I've ever seen. I know many would say sell it and get an R0, but I don't know.

So, if you've had just the neck shaved and re-painted, let me know how it went.

Thanks.

judson

Reaction score
i bought a 71 lp .....it had a shaved neck, binding removed, replaced nut and all the other elements you find with 70's page mods, toggle switch coil splits, stripped top, dimarzio super distortion pups, the whole bit......but everytime i picked it up i knew the pencil neck was not to my liking..

BUT...after a day or two i have found myself playing this more than any of the others and it plays and sounds great, the neck could use a bit more work, but it fits my hand perfect....and i never liked thin necks whatsoever!! it has surprised me more than ever....very comfortable to sit there for long periods of time with no hand cramps, nothing but positive thoughts now when playing it.....its great!

if you like thin necks go for it or keep looking for a thinner one.....there no wrong answer

go for it if it will inspire you to play it!! ...screw future value, live in the present!

Last edited:

Trogly

Reaction score
My advice - just sell the guitar and buy one that does have the neck profile you like. There are many great guitars out there that you don't have to chance fate to get the way you want. If you get it back and hate it - you've also destroyed its resale value with this mod.

If you're set on doing it because the guitar has sentimental value or you have an exact measurement in mind - take it to someone that is reputable, insured and knows what they're doing or else you'll end needed a new neck. I'm sure Historic Makeovers does it enough that they could help.

I've had two guitars where previous owners shaved through to the truss rod. These were both amateur attempts, but examples of what 'could' go wrong. They still played fine, but 'feel' comes down to how good of a refin job follows.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I had one done by HM, turned out very nice. Of course the whole thing needed to be refinsihed but the neck is actually playable for me now which made a huge difference. No way would I trust any average place to do it, HM did an excellent job and I'd recommend them if you are really serious. IIRC the neck went from .920 to .887, which was HM's standard '59 spec' profile. Another huge plus for HM is their communication. I was given updates regularly and when it came down to the neck shave time, the guy who was going to be doing it was in direct contact with me each way. Little things like that went miles with me and made the price worth it IMHO

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
I had one done by HM, turned out very nice. Of course the whole thing needed to be refinsihed but the neck is actually playable for me now which made a huge difference. No way would I trust any average place to do it, HM did an excellent job and I'd recommend them if you are really serious. IIRC the neck went from .920 to .887, which was HM's standard '59 spec' profile. Another huge plus for HM is their communication. I was given updates regularly and when it came down to the neck shave time, the guy who was going to be doing it was in direct contact with me each way. Little things like that went miles with me and made the price worth it IMHO
I can echo this. HM took my R8 neck from being just slightly too much of a handful for my playing, to their extremely comfortable 59 profile (which is still fairly thick when compared to a slim 60's profile). Made a very significant playability improvement for me.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that says if you love everything about the guitar but the neck, and you know it's a keeper, then have the work done by a very trusted shop. HM is the most recommended, but I'd imagine there are 4-5 other top notch shops that guys could recommend. I'd certainly feel safe with HM. Doubt it's cheap, but it may just make your guitar perfect.

I'm usually not afraid to do these types of things though.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If a neck has to be shaven to attain '59 status,
it's a serious baseball bat!

Joe Perry's first Signature Les Paul, the Black one, featured such a neck.
It was a deal breaker for most people.

tonybony

Reaction score
If you love the guitar, I'd get the neck shaved.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I have a ‘71 which had a
thin neck already. I had the shoulders only taken down and that did a lot for the feel without the risk of taking too much wood and coming too close to the truss rod channel.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
I did it with my (IIRC) 2014 ES-345 . Best thing I ever did to it (after a string change LOL!!) Long story short ., It had a HUGE neck on it (IIRC .920 at the 1st. fret , Large "C" type ), and it wasn't possible to get another (so out goes that option) since only a small run finished Vintage Natural were made(IIRC 20 or 50 world wide) ....

Find a place that does this work and check out others who have done it ,to understand what their exp. was for the whole process .... Knowing what specs you want , before you give the guitar, is THE most important factor . Sizes (depth) at each fret , or 1st. 5th. 9th. 12th. And the type of shape you like the best .
UN-realistic expectations about how much can be removed , need to be accepted . Exp. ~ you can't shave a .920 @ the 1st. fret down to a .800 @ the 1st ....

Lots of fine shops will do a great job for you . I'd recommend a shop close to you ,so you can go there and talk with them . Hopefully they might have examples of guitars with neck types you like and can get them to shave your guitar into ....

Being close also would let you check what they consider the finished carve , that you could approve in person , before they put the finish on .... But it should pay off in the long run . That's what I did and I'm very happy with the result ....Plus you wont pay for shipping or have the risk of damage or theft while in the hands of the Shipper .

Metal Guru

Reaction score
I shaved the neck on my Flying V as part of it’s refinishing.
I made templates of the neck on one of my Les Paul Classics to get the contour correct and made lots of measurements as I rasped away. I estimated that if I stayed to the plus side of the neck thickness of my Classic, I wouldn’t break through to the truss rod and I didn’t.
I am happy with the end result. The neck feels great.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I've done it twice. First was on my 2007 Historic goldtop. My buddy, Lloyd did the job while we had a 52 goldtop on hand. The 52 has a neck shape that I REALLY like, and having it to compare directly helped. We didn't thin my goldtop's neck much, but cut back the shoulders to result in a soft "V" profile. The second was an Historic Makovers R8 that I owned. They shaped the neck to "Uncle Lou" specs. I got the guitar from the original owner, who commissioned the work from HM, and they do amazing work. If you like the guitar and plan to keep it, make it into what suits you best.

DonP

Reaction score
I'm in driving distance of Lay's or Joe G.

My real concern is keeping the color the same. I love the color of the front and the back. I wish it was a harder finish, but I'd like to keep the color the same.

I suck at taking pictures, but it looks a lot like this one:
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/hngd-2018-r9-honey-lemon-fade-vos.412343/

Just a little dustier or greenish. The red on the back is a little less bright. And the book matching is a little better on mine. The center seem isn't as noticeable.

When I take pictures (even outdoor), they look more orange than real life.

Last edited:

joff

Reaction score
If it is a keeper for sure, then just do it...

and i like my 2004 JP #1 neck btw. :)

JP #1 Aged 123 c.jpg

Redfish

Reaction score
Why is everyone so scared of a chunky neck? Guitars with big necks sound better and are more stable. If you play one and give it a little time it has been my experience that most people will begin to love chunky necks and never want to go back.

Last edited:

The Refugee

Reaction score
Why is everyone so scared of a chunky neck? Guitars with big necks sound better and are more stable. If you play one and give it a little time it has been my experience that most people will begin to love chunky necks and never want to go back. It's because of all you sissies that it's impossible to get a big necked R8 anymore.
I'm a huge fan of big necks, but a big neck isn't inherently more stable. If it is made with bad/improperly dried wood, it is still going to be unstable compared to a shredder thin neck made properly.

And they sound better? Really? I feel like plenty of absolutely incredible albums have been recorded on toothpick necks over the years. There are at least a dozen other parts of a guitar I would check out to determine how good it sounds besides the thickness of the neck.

Redfish

Reaction score
Of the dozen or so LP's I've owned the bigger necked ones generally sounded better. True a stiff neck is the most important thing and 9 times out of 10 a fatter neck will be stiffer. I didn't mind when R0's had skinny necks, R9's a little thicker, R8's thicker still and R7's were big. At least you could pick your poison but after all the crying about baseball bats now they are all on the thin side and it pisses me off. Then on top of that you guys want to shave a $4000 guitars neck even smaller. Wow. Buy a freaking Ibanez.

519tbarr

Reaction score
I can second this post. Back in the day I worked for a local music store and we received one of these guitars. It was the biggest neck on a Les Paul that I ever remember feeling/playing. For my hands it was almost unplayable - especially in the first 5 frets. The guitar did look killer though.

If a neck has to be shaven to attain '59 status,
it's a serious baseball bat!

Joe Perry's first Signature Les Paul, the Black one, featured such a neck.
It was a deal breaker for most people.