Who has replaced their BB Neck Pickup?

Reaction score
And why? My lp standard 50 sounds muddy/drowned/lackofballs on the neck pickup, the bridge rocks tho. Google and youtube basically confirm this is typical for the BB neck pup. Just wondering if this bugged others enough to swap it out? I can eq it out with my amp but just knowing that I have makes it seem....inferior? Ive been considering swapping to 490/498t or pearly gates in the neck.

Ive tried dropping neck pickup height and adjusting the poles, that helped (maybe in my head).

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
And why? My lp standard 50 sounds muddy/drowned/lackofballs on the neck pickup, the bridge rocks tho. Google and youtube basically confirm this is typical for the BB neck pup. Just wondering if this bugged others enough to swap it out? I can eq it out with my amp but just knowing that I have makes it seem....inferior? Ive been considering swapping to 490/498t or pearly gates in the neck.

Ive tried dropping neck pickup height and adjusting the poles, that helped (maybe in my head).
A lot of psychoacoustics come into play. I'd be okay with an R7 with a pair of BB1s. I prefer low output pickups.

tylerrose2891

Reaction score
Could be a couple very simple things. Personally I found Burstbuckers to be a quite capable set of PAF buckers. First and foremost, pickup height. How far away from the strings is it? Next try possibly raising the pole pieces for a bit more presence. Next up could be a lower pot value? Also what Value caps are you running on your neck?

NotScott

Reaction score
My R4JB came with a BB2 in neck and BB3 in bridge. I went through three sets of pickups I thought would be better before I went back to the BB2 for the neck. I don't have any mud with it whatsoever. Every guitar/pup combo is different though.

tylerrose2891

Reaction score
Could be a couple very simple things. Personally I found Burstbuckers to be a quite capable set of PAF buckers. First and foremost, pickup height. How far away from the strings is it? Next try possibly raising the pole pieces for a bit more presence. Next up could be a lower pot value? Also what Value caps are you running on your neck?
Failing all that, if you decide you would just prefer a brighter neck pickup, something with a bit of a lower wind wouldn’t be a bad place to start. A Lollar Standard or Low Wind neck wouldn’t be a bad choice.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't know anything about your rig but I can say that in today's world of lower volume and using dirt pedals for your 'dirty' tone is a major contributor to muddy neck tone. Try it out through a cranked amp with no pedals and see how it sounds. I will add that most stock BB's are potted which makes them less open. Good luck.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
My R4JB came with a BB2 in neck and BB3 in bridge. I went through three sets of pickups I thought would be better before I went back to the BB2 for the neck. I don't have any mud with it whatsoever. Every guitar/pup combo is different though.
My 2017 Studio came with that same combo and man, is it bright!

Neck is very usable and clear, no mud at all even when set to a reasonable height. I often use the tone controls in both positions to dial them back a touch..

Mine are unpotted tho... Don't know if OP's are, or what the other electronics are..

nadzab

Reaction score
I could never get along with the BB Pros in my 2016 Standard, despite all kinds of height adjustments and knob twiddling; swapped them out for 36th Anniversaries and never looked back.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have a set in my '18 Traditional...Burstbucker I and II. The neck BB I can be made brighter by lowering it. Mine neck measures 8/64” on the low E when I fret that string at the highest fret and check distance from string to pole piece. The high E string measures 4/64”. Those same measurements are set exactly for the BB II. I left the pole screws alone. I like a brighter neck tone, so I e.q. my amp for the neck when the pup volume is at 10.

Classicplayer

Sinster

Reaction score
I have changed mine. Why because I bought into the if I put "X" pickup I will get "X" tone... I went with Seth Lover in one and my own wind in my others. Would I remove a BB from my guitars if I had the chance to do it over again. Maybe.

bluefrog

Reaction score
I replaced the BB1 BB2 set with old Seymour Duncans 59N / 59BL
they deliver all I missed from BBs.

Benniator

Reaction score
I did. I swapped my Standard's Burstbucker '61s for some overwound Fralin Pure PAFs. The '61's are nice, but sort of sterile. The Fralins are sweeter, clearer, and more articulate.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
muddy/drowned/lackofballs. Google and youtube basically confirm this is typical for the BB neck pup.
Odd how the internet is different for different people.

A few months ago I was choosing between 2 SG's, one with BB1&2, the other with 490's. I didn't know much about BB's so I started surfing, and got the impression that the BB1 is widely respected and loved. And generally regarded as an upgrade over 490's.

I got the one with BB's and have been totally satisfied. Full but crisp with superb definition. A little less throaty, less vowel-sound than Duncan '59s, but sweeter. Can't imagine mud from them.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Odd how the internet is different for different people.

A few months ago I was choosing between 2 SG's, one with BB1&2, the other with 490's. I didn't know much about BB's so I started surfing, and got the impression that the BB1 is widely respected and loved. And generally regarded as an upgrade over 490's.

I got the one with BB's and have been totally satisfied. Full but crisp with superb definition. A little less throaty, less vowel-sound than Duncan '59s, but sweeter. Can't imagine mud from them.
I had the ‘59 pair In my Classic years back, and Seth's with A2 magnets and lower wound. Not that the '59's were not good, but I like the amp to do the work and Seths made that happen a bit more than the '59 pair.

The BB 1 and 2 in my Traditional do the same thing; still a lower wound pickup and e.q. Correctly and adjusted for height; I judged them one of Gibson's better pickups and quite versatile. But, it's all personal taste as to what works for the player.

Classicplayer

afjungemann

Reaction score
At some point, you have to ignore what the internet says about a certain pickup. I typically do not like 57 classics. They sound bland and lack articulation so any guitar I have had with them in it get a pickup swap. Then I got an ES355 with 57 classics with full intention of swapping them with not to find out that they sound incredible in that guitar. So you never know.

BB pickups get some love and hate but while I would characterize BB’s as bright and articulate, it might not react that way with your les Paul. If it sounds muddy, consider something with alnico V Magnets and low winds. BB pros have this but so do many other brands.

bluefrog

Reaction score
BB 2 was a bit too brittle for me in the bridge so the vintage SD59BL was the solution.
The BB1 in the neck 'd say not bad the SD59N was more a test drive but works good after the sweet spot found....
lower the neck humbucker to match the ring height more or less ... and then turn up the coil screws of the e b g strings to get the sweet spot.

So I keep the couple in for a while...

Last edited:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm glad my ears are old. I can tell you I like a sound, but I can't articulate why. ;)

Thebigt71

Reaction score
I don't seem to like any pick ups other than the 490r/498t set in my les pauls. I went through a period chasing that elusive PAF tone. I tried all kinds of picks ups --- Lollar Imperials, Seth Lovers, 59's, Classic 57's, BB1 and BB2, Bareknuckle Mules. Finally decided to put the 490/498 back in and that sounded the best. They sound so good to me that I installed them in my R8 and R7.

Latest Threads