Who has a drum sander?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a drum sander. Wanted to know who here uses one and what you think of them. Leaning towards the Jet, as it is on sale at Woodcraft through Monday, but the Supermax seems to be very popular as well. What do you guys think? How do you store them in your shop? Anything you wish you knew beforehand?

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Performax 16/32”. It is absolutely fantastic! You will have to have a good dust collection system. A shop vac won’t do...

pshupe

Reaction score
I have a SuperMAX 19-38. I also love mine. I have a lower end dust collector. I think it's a 1 HP King dust collector and it works very well to take the dust away. I did not get the infeed and outfeed tables because my shop is really small and shorter things like guitar bodies do not require those.

I do not like the way you have to change the roll but it is a fabulous tool.

Regards Peter.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I have a SuperMAX 19-38. I also love mine. I have a lower end dust collector. I think it's a 1 HP King dust collector and it works very well to take the dust away. I did not get the infeed and outfeed tables because my shop is really small and shorter things like guitar bodies do not require those.

I do not like the way you have to change the roll but it is a fabulous tool.

Regards Peter.
Like Peter, I have the 19-38 and I love it. I did get the optional infeed and outfeed tables and I'm glad that I did. Oh, by the way, the tables fold down and lay flat against the stand when you don't need them, so keep that in mind. :)

pshupe

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, the tables fold down and lay flat against the stand when you don't need them, so keep that in mind. :)
I did not know that. I might have to look into those. Although I haven’t had any issues with the shorter bed. No noticeable snipe.

Cheers Peter.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I picked up the jet 16-32 on sale. Just got it set up, need to dial it in still. I'm stoked!

pshupe

Reaction score
Congrats. Keep us posted on how you like it.

Cheers Peter.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
That’s a nice sander. I second the call for a dust collector. I tried using my shop vac when I got my Jet 10-20, and it was a disaster. The machines just create too much dust.

I hope that model doesn’t suffer from the same design defect as mine, in which the leveling threads eventually stripped.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I did not know that. I might have to look into those. Although I haven’t had any issues with the shorter bed. No noticeable snipe.

Cheers Peter.
Yes, I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the original beds did not swing down. But by the time that I ordered mine, that was a feature.

I have no problems with snipe with or without the beds, but it is nice to know that the workpiece won't end up on the floor as it usually stops and balances on the outfeed side. :)

bradland

Reaction score
Couldn't get by without it...
Dust collection is absolutely essential.

Last edited:

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I pumped out some templates for a new build last night, so it's maiden voyage approaches quickly :)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have the jet 16-32. It does a good job for me, but I kind of boned it up and its down at the moment.

I believe the issue was user error though, not product inadequacy

Be careful not to bump or bend the rollers at either end of the conveyor belt. I believe one of mine is infinitesimally bent, and now the conveyor belt wont track no matter what. I'm going to have to get a new roller...

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Just sand down the laminations for a 9 piece neck in about 45 minutes. This machine is life changing... do