Who Else Likes to Play Unplugged?

rifflearner

Reaction score
This may sound corny, but I just love the sound of an unplugged electric guitar. Especially a nice resonant guitar. Just noodling around the house, I probably play unplugged about 75% of the time.

I know everyone is after perfect tone, but I'm usually after an electric that sounds awesome unplugged. They are usually the best plugged in - but I just love playing them acoustically.

Anyone else like playing their Les Pauls unplugged?

Attachments

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I do it sometimes, especially for training, but i cant say I like the sound no. :)

What about an acoustic?

grumphh

Reaction score
I hate it.
The sound of playing an unplugged (solidbody) electric is just a tiny bit less annoying than the sound of biting an eggslicer.
Everything that is "the sound of the electric guitar" is missing from it.

In short, if i can't plug it in, i'll either play a proper acoustic or not play at all.

RatDaddy

Banned
Reaction score
I used to to but then I realized how sloppy it was when I actually plugged in. Maybe it's just because I have a practice amp on standby now that I plug in. In any case I'm just mostly sloppy now and not completely. :acoustic:

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
If it's late at night and I want to work on a song/solo then I will often play unplugged. I'm more interested in getting the playing right than a fantastic sound, plus there is nothing to hide behind, so if it sounds good unplugged, then it'll sound great once I turn my amp on.

Not playing because I can't plug in would be like cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Pete M

Reaction score
Yep. I play unplugged a lot and love it. Just noodling round the house. Can't plug in much of the time.

Camelot_One

Reaction score
It is extremely rare that I play my electrics unplugged. And only when there is no other option.
But I often run them clean and at low volume, roughly the same as I would get playing an acoustic.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I do. Got a full house with everybody on different schedules.

shupe13

Reaction score
Only during a setup and directly after a string change.

dro

Reaction score
It's how I learned allot of licks and scales. Watching TV playing to the commercials. You only have a minute, sometimes 30 seconds to find the key and come up with something slick. Would usually do this while stretching in new sets of strings. Been starting to do this more in the last year, as I have been playing much less than in the past 40. Gotta keep fingers moving. Want a real challenge? Learn some Disney tunes.

MooCheng

Reaction score
if its just noodling or figuring something out, I'll play it unpluged,
most of the time theres an acoustic around I just grab.

playing electrics unpluged for any length of time. the tendency to dig in can make you a touch heavy handed

Roxy13

Reaction score
I often do when I'm just noodling.

Right now I'm playing one I haven't put pickups into yet because I'm on the fence about whether I'm going to keep it or resell it. I'm not normally picky about neck shapes but this one has kind of thrown me. It's a rather flat D with big shoulders and I haven't decided if I am going to gel with it. So the pickups I put into it are going to be dependent on whether I keep it or not. It's one of my MIJ projects and it only had one pickup in it when I bought it.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I do it all the time when I want to be chill but I still feel like noodling around. I like to “feel“ the sound thru the vibrations in the neck. With really good electric guitars you can feel every little nuance and sometimes I just like that better than making noise :)

mdubya

Reaction score
Not unplugged, but my favorite way to play is at low enough volume where I am accompanying myself acoustically. I don't know why this brings me such joy in my playing, but it does.

I play quietly enough that if I am recording, I need to turn up or use headphones to clearly hear my electric tone. It is usually good, mind you, but I need to confirm it.

I always have to turn up when jamming with others.

Fillmore

Reaction score
I play unplugged. Helps with learning....I'm not scaring everybody.:rofl:

Down side is I'm not learning much about amp tones?

My Les Paul Classifieds