Who does it? partial top wrap

scooter500

Reaction score
No, no, not the amazing Who, just checking if anyone plays heavier gauge strings, 11s or 12s standard tuning, and partially top wraps just the B and E or G, B and E strings to allow for bending notes and has tips on set up? Or anything similar?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I top wrap the high E and B. I'd wrap the G as well except that due to the wrap around the end of the string it would make a sharp bend, not an even one....make me think it'll create a weak point.

scooter500

Reaction score
I wrap the B and high E around the tuning posts a couple extra turns, compared to the rest of the strings. Does that count? I'm a Duane Allman fan and all but I wouldn't let Jimmie Johnson rebuild my engine.
Thanks, I'll try that.

I top wrap the high E and B. I'd wrap the G as well except that due to the wrap around the end of the string it would make a sharp bend, not an even one....make me think it'll create a weak point.
Cool, that's what I was thinking might be possible. Do you like the feel, sound? Any problems?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
No problems at all. To me i do feel a difference - but it is very slight. No change in tone that I'm aware of - just slinkier.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've never done a partial top wrap, but my experience of a full top wrap was that a) I broke more strings, and b) changing broken strings on stage in the middle of a gig is bad enough, but top wrapping makes it worse.

Compared to the noticeable, but small, differences in string compliance & tone, those were the factors that made me stop top wrapping.

Latest Threads