Who also plays bass?

Phylodog

Reaction score
So I've gotten curious about playing bass. I've never really been interested in it before but I've been listening to quite a bit of Tool and Red Hot chili Peppers lately and it has me wondering if I'd enjoy it. I don't think I've ever picked one up before so I know absolutely nothing about them. My biggest concern is how long they seem to be compared to a Les Paul. I had a shoulder replaced in January and it's all I can do to play the slightly longer scale length of a Tele so I'm wondering if I would enjoy it or get frustrated with my limitation and let it collect dust.

Just curious what other Les Paul players have experienced and if I should save myself the grief and forget about it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I do, but I'm definitely a more inspired guitarist than a bassist.

My current one is a 1978 Aria neck through. Love it.

E.T.

Reaction score
I do, but I don't currently own a bass. When I have done it's been a Warwick Corvette of some form and I've mostly played fingerstyle. And jammed more, because everyone always needs a bassist. I find myself hanging them lower and having the neck at more of an angle so I have about the same distance to reach for notes. Also spend a lot less time nobbing about above the twelfth fret in general!

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Played professionally for 20 odd years before switching over to guitar. Physically, it's a more demanding instrument. Even a short scale, 30", will tax you stretching wise. Scales and the like are the exact same on a bass, but there is a stretch. (1st fret to 4th fret on a bass, is like a 1st fret to a 5th on guitar.) Then there is the demand on the picking hand.
And bass wise, I have a 64 Domino "Beatle" bass 30", Hondo Alien 30", Hondo Alien fretless 30", and a custom made one I built for myself with a 34" scale.

wanderace

Reaction score
I am originally a bass player.....I have a Fender 73 Tele bass....i dont know the exact weight but I thinks its heavier than an LP
the only problems I have is the muscle memory of string spacing ....missing strings with my right picking hand and fret placement.....but you get used to it.....and then switch back to bass./......and then guitar....back to square one...rinse lather repeat.....But I say go for it../......Chicks dig bass players....thats something LP players wont admit......ahahaahhaa

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love bass like other instruments. Bass is NOT the four or five big skrangs on guitar... It ain't a piano either though it has the same notes....

Bass is its own science....

Does strengthen fingers...

wanderace

Reaction score
Not its not the same .....but the first 4 strings of a guitar EADG ...same for bass....but down an octave

sonar1

Reaction score
Different concept and role in an ensemble. Adds a lot, and once introduced cannot be removed without the whole musical structure suffering.
I have a P-bass. Tried others, but the P-bass is just basic.
Orthopedically my hands tire easily, but the bass doesn’t bother them as much as I thought it would, and actually improves strength.
In Santa Cruz, I never let anyone know I even owned a bass. But up here in Redding, I’m cherished!

59D6F0F9-09B9-41D3-B909-8B94FEEA4BE5.jpeg

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I learnt bass and then progressed to guitar. I do enjoy playing bass but haven't had an outlet for a number of years. Preferred bass is a Fender Jap PJ which was the guitar I learnt on - Dad still has it.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I play the bass parts on my tracks here at home. Over the years, I've sat in on bass as needed from time to time. I don't consider myself a bass player.

Although I played tuba from seventh grade till halfway through college.. and six+ years in the Air National Guard Band of the South, it does not translate to electric bass.

Bass does inspire songwriting in a different way. I enjoy laying down grooves I would not otherwise come up with on the guitar alone.

Sometimes I find it more enjoyable.. It has more of a sense of playfulness by contrast to approaching the guitar for what I want out of it. With the bass, it's more an adventure of seeing what's in it to find.

My current bass is a Peavey Grind 4 that I picked up for a really good deal from a shop that was closing. And a set of Rotomatics. Amp is an ACC 150/403.

There are short scale basses out there you might find suitable

Last edited:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
It can be fun!
It looks easy right, just 4 strings, large scale, much room for the fingers.

Well it way harder than you think, much less forgiving than a guitar, every wrong note, every mistake in timing will be noticed!
But you will also learn a lot from playing a bass.

BKS

Reaction score
Started bass as a teen but never got that far that i can be named a bass player haha. Used to have a nice aria pro ii back in the days. Had a washburn rb 2502 hammerhead until a few months ago, let it go towards my juggernaut ht7 as i never played it but still missed it being around. Now i have a Carvin lb75 that is pretty nice.
They are good for stretching... Feels so easy on guitar afterwards. But i never get any further than the part of Rime of the ancient mariner i proudly been playing since a pieced it together myself after listening to it probably a 100 times (always loud and no Headphone than... :rofl:
But i am focusing on guitar. I have not played for a couple of month due to a very painfull elbow:dunno:
My guitar teacher send some Death to pick it up again.

Bass is good for learning tight rhythm. But to me it still feels easier than guitar even tho my petite hands do strugle with long scale.... Good stretching haha

Phylodog

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses! I never considered bass to be an easier role than lead or rhythm guitar, just different. I have zero formal musical training of any type but in listening and playing along with Adam Jones it occurred to me that his playing is more like that of a typical bass player than many or most lead guitar roles. I know he played bass before guitar and Justin Chancellor played guitar before playing bass and I think that shows as well. It's definitely not the same as just playing a guitar with fewer and bigger strings, hopefully I didn't give that impression with my question.

I think I'll swing by GC or maybe go up to Sweetwater and try a few out. I certainly don't think it would hurt my guitar playing and while I may not be able to reach the first couple of frets maybe I'll be able to compensate and enjoy it anyway.

Thanks again for the responses!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't play bass but I have two, a Steinberger Spirit and a Chinese knock off of a Korean designed stick bass. I had a Squier P-Bass that was traded in for the Spirit. My son wanted the stick bass to learn on, along with my Rumble 15, so those are at his place.
When I noodle on guitar, I'm doing little more than riffs or melodies, but when I'm noodling on bass, I'm building song foundations. I just don't do it often, or record any of it.

bum

Reaction score
I play bass and own one, to record with.
In my band I often follow the bass player's lines and runs and use an octave pedal so I think all that helps me, I often times am beefing up the groove with the bass player.
Bass is awesome because it makes me listen to the drummer and lock in with him more and becoming a part of a groove machine, feels good.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i own one,can play basic stuff on it,but sir paul isnt too worried about the competition.a friend of mine is a killer bass player though,does the octave thing and is very melodic on it.

Rds

Reaction score
Im just a guitarist who tries to play bass for my ideas. I have a fender precision. Its nice to see and hear a good bass player. I know nothing, just basics.

Latest Threads