Who actually likes/prefers Speed Knobs over Top Hats?

Kitchissippi Hippie

Reaction score
It can depend on the guitar usually. I do find that speed knobs feel faster to use and articulate better.. BUT..

Reflectors and top hats look better. And I'm less concerned with fast and function on a Les Paul. She is a thing of beauty not ease of use, and so looks often come first, at least when it comes to hardware and plastics. Which is why I usually swap out the speed knobs.

I don't play Les Pauls because they're comfortable and play fast. There are many faster playing and more comfortable guitars out there.. I play Les Pauls because they sound better than any other guitar out there, because they're beautiful, and because the greatest (your opinion may vary) players to pick up a guitar play(ed) Les Pauls.

To me they're a lot like a 1969 GTO.. Are they impractical, maybe. Are they comfortable, maybe not terribly.. Are they cool as all hell and worth the loss of practicality and comfort? You're god damn right they are!

trapland

Reaction score
I think I tend to prefer whichever I'm used to at the time. I like both depending on the Gibson model I'm using. But in every case with a Gibson I use knob pointers, and I will install them if they don't come with the guitar.

I can't even imagine a Fender Stratocaster having speed knobs. That's just wrong.

This. I like whatever I'm using just fine. If I had any little gripe, it's that pointers have been sharp enough to draw blood. But I love them for quick index.

And I've never been able to play a strat without removing the first knob. I accidently turn it off all the time.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I like whatever I'm using just fine. If I had any little gripe, it's that pointers have been sharp enough to draw blood. But I love them for quick index.

And I've never been able to play a strat without removing the first knob. I accidently turn it off all the time.

I have the same problem with my Strats, I pick from the bridge always bumping the volume knob. It is a dummy knob now, not wired to anything. The middle tone is now the volume with a master tone.It's funny, when I turn the dummy knob when playing I have had people tell me they can here a difference.Really!:D

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I prefer the speed knobs, but can deal with the top hats just fine as well. It is just easier for me to adjust my volume/tone with the speed knobs than my finger trying to find the top hat which is smaller.

UKPortista

Reaction score
I prefer the looks and functionality of speed knobs. In fact, I've just removed some top hats in favor of speed knobs on one of my Explorers.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
I kind of like the notched speed knobs you see on some of the newer models. Looks like a bourbon cap or something. Pretty chunky but they're great if you're using any of the push/pull functions.
1942d37f3e413f5ef3bf6f7f83213ec4.image.1140x760.jpg

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have no preference, unless i have a stiff pot, speed knobs are easier to grip with sweaty hands. I just use what i have on hand.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Holy moly - now I'm over-analyzing what I think about speeders vs. top hats vs. reflectors. I have guitars with all three. I like 'em all, and never thought much about it, other than aesthetics on certain guitars. (I prefer top hats on sunbursts, speeders on dark solid-colors and reflectors on gold tops.)

You're slowly getting there.
You should worry about every part of you guitar(s), search the Interwebs in a frenzy,
go to bed late and neglect your wife's needs (!) and the most important thing:
Don't play until you've resolved all those issues,
not only for yourself, but for humanity.

I can see a corksniffing award in your future.
But you have to focus and work at it.
We will be here to support your quest.

471px-Caspar_David_Friedrich_032.jpg

gball

Reaction score
I greatly prefer speed knobs. I would put them on a Les Paul that came with another style, but I left them on my Firebird because of the volume knobs being squeezed together. Strat knobs just feel like silly little toys but any other type just seems wrong on a Strat so I leave them.

dspelman

Reaction score
I have speeds on the LP-style guitars that don't already have the Ibanez Sure-Grips.

Macronaut

Reaction score
I mostly prefer the look and function of speed knobs but, I think "certain" guitars may look a little better with top hats than speed knobs.

CherryVelour

Reaction score
When I first got my LP, I couldn't shake the feeling that something looked slightly off... Until someone told me to change the knobs and that's when it hit me! Replacing the speed knobs with gold top hats made it look like a Les Paul should.
Love the black reflector top hats for SGs and ES guitars!

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
X–Ray;8024084 said:
31688927016_5e49e36cb2_o.jpg

Unused ambers to 10 and 11

You can have either one or both as an early Xmas gift

PM me if interested....

That is an offer I'm going to refuse (but very very politely)
Thanks a bunch. Possibly the nicest thing a stranger has offered me this year.

n4wkdn.jpg

1allspub

Reaction score
I will admit that the Speeds are easier to use to adjust vol/tone on the fly (not massively easier, but easier)... but Top Hats just look massively better to my eye. This is one of those rare occasions where form trumps function for me. They (Top Hats) just look so much better that I deal with the relatively minor loss of functionality. I know... I'm shallow... :laugh2:

danohat

Reaction score
That is an offer I'm going to refuse (but very very politely)
Thanks a bunch. Possibly the nicest thing a stranger has offered me this year.

n4wkdn.jpg

Didn't your daddy ever tell you when a man wants to give you something you're supposed to accept? It's code.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Didn't your daddy ever tell you when a man wants to give you something you're supposed to accept? It's code.

If he offered me a flapjack and a shigarette or a shigar and waffle or a shmoke and pancake or a bong and a blintz....

Goldmember.jpg

In Holland we say "Don't take candy from strangers" isn't that vierd?

linkpro

Reaction score
I kind of like the notched speed knobs you see on some of the newer models. Looks like a bourbon cap or something. Pretty chunky but they're great if you're using any of the push/pull functions.
1942d37f3e413f5ef3bf6f7f83213ec4.image.1140x760.jpg

I believe Gibson calls these "supreme grip" knobs. Came standard on many 2014 and 2015 models. Don't know why they stopped offering these, IMO they are much nicer and easier to turn than top hats.

Steven

Reaction score
I prefer speed knobs. I find them more comfortable to use. I also prefer them aesthetically.