Who actually likes/prefers Speed Knobs over Top Hats?

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Oh, and I nearly forgot: given that the original Gold Tops had speedknobs for the first few years before the top hats appeared, I have no issue with historical relevance of speed knobs on a Lester, even a slightly later-looking model.

:cool:

sk8rat

Reaction score
I dont mind the smooth speed knobs. I hate the gibson ones with the knurled edges.

I have top hats on my lp but I do prefer the look of reflectors most of the time. I just dont care enough to change them.

P-Nutz

Reaction score
Speed knobs with rubber around the edges on my Gibson All American, Hawk, Nighthawk and Blueshawk, reflectors on the Les Paul and Firebird, big @$% Fender Custom reflector knobs on the offset Tele, and regular chrome dome Tele knobs on the Tasler Tele and Reverend Charger ...

Prolly more than anyone cares to know ...

Peace.

Al Walker

Reaction score
Reflectors here. Don't care for speed knobs. Don't have any problem dialing them in.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
30738659534_4e6308a525_o.jpg

Function over form - wherever I grab one without looking (almost always with my little finger), it's always in the right spot of the knob

Anything that cuts down on my "thinking" while playing is a plus in my book....

scozz

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with either and don't think much about it. When I need to adjust I turn knobs. I tend not to use my pinky so maybe this is why both types aren't much different to me. I do a lot of 'on the fly' adjusting with my LPs so have just adapted, plain and simple.

This holds for me. Also...I like the look of speed knobs.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Totally depends on the guitar.

ido1957

Reaction score
Speed knobs on my LPC. I don't feel the need to change - they work fine for me.

Zipslack

Reaction score
Maybe you should look at the Ibanez style Sure Grip knobs.

$_1.JPG

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that speed knobs (1/2" height) are in fact era appropriate for '53-55 LPs. The similarly looking 5/8" barrel knobs were used in '52. Top hats showed up in '55, so either those or speed knobs are right for for a '55. Reflector knobs came around on LPs when Gibson re-released the LP in '68. Info from guitarinfo.com.

My '50s Tribute P-90 GT had black reflector knobs that I replaced with gold top hats. My '14 LPMM had the new grippy black speed knobs, and I replaced those with standard gold speed knobs. I think I'll swap the knobs around. I broke two of the reflector knobs, so they'll stay in storage.

I thought the top hats were the older design, but nope.

David Garner

Reaction score
I prefer the looks of top hats, but I have speed knobs on mine (the stock ones). They just work better on the fly for me. It helps that my PRS has them too, so it may be more continuity than anything.

You can see the top hats in my profile picture. I paid an absurd amount of money for them from Creamtone, and I think they may have been on there a month or so. I'll get around to selling them one day.

edselman

Reaction score
For functionality I prefer speed knobs. For looks, it depends on the guitar. I would never put speed knobs on a '50's reissue, but I do like the look of '90's LP's with speed knobs. I've owned three LP Traditional's and I immediately swapped the speed knobs for gold bell knobs. On my current Tradional I can't bring myself to make the switch.

mobidevjc

Reaction score
Speed knobs are easier to turn, in part due to leverage. On a top hat, the full diameter of the knob is only at the very bottom flared part, whereas speed knobs are the full diameter everywhere .

When you turn it with just the tip of a finger, you're typically touching a speed knob farther from its rotation axis, while on a speed knob, you're closer to the axis. As a result, you can apply the necessary torque with less force when using a speed knob, so it's technically, demonstrably easier.

Plus, speed knobs just look better. Top hats are OK. Reflectors are abominations.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Maybe you should look at the Ibanez style Sure Grip knobs.

$_1.JPG

Read my mind. While I wouldn't want them on most of my LPs... they are the best damn speed knob, on the planet! I have always loved them.

Have them on my destroyer.

As for Gibson LPs, its not a big deal to me. I usually go with what looks best, just because its not that big a deal. I suppose, on function, I'd choose speed knobs, but top hats aren't an issue... so... :thumb:

Latest Threads