Who’s Into Small Amps?

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of fun with the 5F1 circuit. It's just about the best amp for a raw voicing.

My biggest complaint with the original factory amps is the undersize cabs and poor quality speakers. I'm not one that considers a crappy speaker to be part of the "vintage mojo" of old amps.

View attachment 294269

View attachment 294270

View attachment 294277

View attachment 294272
Good lord man, how much can you fit in that little chassis??!! :-o

I see what looks like an impedance selector, but what's the little PCB that power lead's hooked into?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good lord man, how much can you fit in that little chassis??!! :-o

I see what looks like an impedance selector, but what's the little PCB that power lead's hooked into?
:rofl::rofl: The 5F1 is definitely a "ship in a bottle" amp, but mine isn't as bad as it looks. The PCB you're referring to is just a terminal strip for the power cord & transformer connections.

I do use a multi-ohm OT to provide more flexibility with speaker options, and I don't use a 5F1 OT. I use something different, my secret weapon! Provides more bandwidth and I feel better harmonics, yet retains the raw tweed tone.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I started a thread Backstage saying Gibson should start building their amps again.
I think they’d sell, in Fender’s 68 Custom market, maybe even their Blackface Reissue market.
The GA-5, done right, would do well, I think.

Apache Crumb

Reaction score
I am addicted to 1 X 12 combo's both vintage & modern. I have had Marshall half stacks and 100 watt monsters but have sold them off over the years. Now I have been going after high quality 1 X 12 combo's. There's something special in the small cabinet tones that I love. Compression I quess? Eye balling a few Friedman combo's now. Can not rule out Mesa either. Here's a super clean 1964 Blackface Champ I own, production run #1 [November 1964].
Vintage Champ #1.JPG
Vintage Champ #2.JPG

Vox Amp.JPG
Vox Cap 03.JPG

Minty 65 Vox Student.

Clark Beaufort Ins.1.JPG
Clark Beaufort Ins.2.JPG

Hand Wired Clark Beaufort [ Tweed Deluxe Clone] Outstanding tone & build quality.

Here is the Chassis...
Clark Chassis & Spkr.JPG

Many more , don't want to hijack the thread.
I'm running out of space in my small guitar room.

scozz

Reaction score
To answer your questions...I am! :D

I haven’t gigged in many years so I sold all the large amps I had, I’m strictly a play at home musician now, so small low watt amps fits the bill for me.

The first small amp I tried, after the band, was a Marshall MG15! OMG!!! Just an awful amp. This was when they first came out, must be close to 20 years ago, maybe they’re better now I don’t know.

Then in 2000 I found a used Marshall AVT20 at a GC. Sounds great, I’ve still got it. Others that have come and gone...1980 Fender 30 all valve...Vox ac4h... Blackheart Little Giant.

I did keep one amp from back in the day, but I can’t use it... waaaay too loud. I’ll probably sell it this summer...a 1966 Blackface Bandmaster head

So right now I’m playing thru the 2000 Marshall AVT20 and a Bugera G5 infinium head and a 1-1/12 spk. cab.

azzapeel

Reaction score
I got a vox vt100, & a vox ac15c1..... but its my vox ac4tv that i am using most at the moment. Even looking at vox ac4c1 12 or possibly vox ac4hw1...
( tempting)

scozz

Reaction score
That AVT20 is a sweet Classic Rock machine all week long.
Thanks @cherrysunburst00!! It really is! These AVTs don’t get a lot of love because they’re hybrids, but man they rock.

I’ve had this amp for almost 18 years now and it sounds great! I put a 5751 tube in replacing the stock 12AX7...to tame the gain a bit, but there’s still loads of gain on tap. I also replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion G10 Vintage, (10” version of the Vintage 30)

This thing is a tone machine! Made in th UK too!

Dilver

Reaction score
I am addicted to 1 X 12 combo's both vintage & modern. I have had Marshall half stacks and 100 watt monsters but have sold them off over the years. Now I have been going after high quality 1 X 12 combo's. There's something special in the small cabinet tones that I love. Compression I quess? Eye balling a few Friedman combo's now. Can not rule out Mesa either. Here's a super clean 1964 Blackface Champ I own, production run #1 [November 1964].
View attachment 294593 View attachment 294594

View attachment 294597 View attachment 294599
Minty 65 Vox Student.

View attachment 294600 View attachment 294601

Hand Wired Clark Beaufort [ Tweed Deluxe Clone] Outstanding tone & build quality.

Here is the Chassis...View attachment 294602

Many more , don't want to hijack the thread.
I'm running out of space in my small guitar room.
No, no, no... you can’t leave us hanging. You wouldn’t be hijacking the thread. We WANT to see all your cool small amps. That’s how GAS works.

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, no, no... you can’t leave us hanging. You wouldn’t be hijacking the thread. We WANT to see all your cool small amps. That’s how GAS works.
OH GREAT, throw fuel on ALL of our GAS :run:

scozz

Reaction score
I found an old pic of the small amps I mentioned in a previous post.

Vox AC4 head...Blackheart Little Giant head...1980 Fender 30, all tube 30 watt 1-12 combo. They only made these for two years, 80 and 81. Two channels with reverb and push pull pots on gain, volume, treble, middle and bass.

I still have the Marshall and the Blackheart cabinet in the pic.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Currently gravitating between a Marshall Class 5 head into a 4X10 1965 cab, a modified Marshall DSL5C with a 12" GreenBack and my BIG amp is a Tweed Deluxe clone that needs an attenuator! The real BIG GUN is a Marshall JTM 30 into either a 4X12 or 4X10, but stays in it's case, except to turn it on a couple times a year to keep the caps happy! Next up is likely a 5F1 build, though it would be nice if Soul Tramp would share his OT secret, or at least sell me one! :naughty:

Small Watts = Big Tones!
Gene

Last edited: