White switch tips on new R9s...

davidos

Reaction score
Noticed they were doing white switch tips with some new R9s... interesting. Guess that's more historically accurate?

sd_guitars

Reaction score
I got a Murphy Lab ‘57 LP Special new from CME a few weeks ago and it actually came with two switch tips... one white and one amber. I am still confused as to why

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
The current guitars are shipping with a white switch tip installed as an aid to not rip the lining of the case. The normal Historic switch tip is in the case compartment. So Dave’s is just taking pictures of the guitars as they come from Gibson. No concern.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Ooooh........the white ones will be worth a lot more in years to come :lol:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
soak 'em in urine. :thumb:

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The amber Catalina tips were white when the guitars were new. Over time the material oxidizes and turns amber in color.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Hey Dan

Gibson claims the TH and after tops are catalin. Is it old material do you think? Are they aging it? Or is it not catalin but marketing bunk?

DanD

Reaction score
Mark is correct. If Gibson shipped with the switch tip in place many would end up broken. I've picked 'crumbs' of tips out of a few cases.

The untipped switch can rip the case lining.

So new switch tip protector time.

This wasn't ever a problem for me until the Lifton cases came out.

bmb89

Reaction score
Yeah they ship with both white and amber now, well at least mine did.

boola1

Reaction score
Damn it. I have a 2020 model, just came with the amber switch tip.

Gibson do this every year! I bet you can't get a white switch tip aftermarket. Gunna have to buy a 2021 model :(

Sct13

Reaction score
I can tell you this "Real" white catalin only oxidizes so far .....under the surface, if you were to scratch it, it would be white....

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Hey Dan

Gibson claims the TH and after tops are catalin. Is it old material do you think? Are they aging it? Or is it not catalin but marketing bunk?
Catalin is clear. They mix in dyes or pigments to make it white or amber (or green, yellow, blue, red, marbled).

As it ages the surface discolors. So as Sct13 said, the originals are white under the ambered surface. The repros are real catalin but have the amber color mixed in before they're molded.

It'll be interesting to see how the amber repros look in 50 years.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Catalin is clear. They mix in dyes or pigments to make it white or amber (or green, yellow, blue, red, marbled).

As it ages the surface discolors. So as Sct13 said, the originals are white under the ambered surface. The repros are real catalin but have the amber color mixed in before they're molded.

It'll be interesting to see how the amber repros look in 50 years.
Cheers!! Thank you!!

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this "Real" white catalin only oxidizes so far .....under the surface, if you were to scratch it, it would be white....
16 years ago I bought a one owner 1960 DC Special. Back in the 1960's, the original owner stripped the finish to bare wood. Rather than remove the controls while stripping the finish, he simply remove the nuts and lowered the pots and switch into the cavity. Apparently while sanding the top of the guitar, the switch tip must have "Prairie Dog'ed" itself out of the hole and it ended up with a flat spot sanded onto its top. This is the tip as it was when I received the guitar:

I had the clever idea of threading the tip onto a stud, chucking it into a drill press, and re-rounding its shape. That's when I learned that beneath the amber surface, the material is actually white. Here is the tip after sanding it round:

I had the guitar refinished by RS Guitarworks and enjoyed it for a number of years until I sold it last year. Here is that same switch tip 15 years later. The top of the tip hadn't fully ambered yet, but it was getting close to being unifom in color once again:

Last edited:

Sct13

Reaction score
Perfect example ....thanks for sharing Dan!

Cory

Reaction score
The current guitars are shipping with a white switch tip installed as an aid to not rip the lining of the case. The normal Historic switch tip is in the case compartment. So Dave’s is just taking pictures of the guitars as they come from Gibson. No concern.
I was super confused by all the pics of 2021 historics with white tips - thanks for this clarification!

Latest Threads