White Les Paul Customs made in Memphis - I thought ALL LP Customs were. ???

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
I saw in a video recently that white Les Paul Customs made in Memphis.
I understand that this is due to concerns with contaminating the white finish.
(Gibson was shipping white guitars wrapped in paper or a shroud for awhile when they still used the purple case lining...)

Then I started thinking - I thought ALL LP Customs were made in the Custom Shop.

Is this not the case?

6pack Jon

Reaction score
LPCs were a standard production model up until about a decade ago.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
All white Customs are sprayed/finished in the same shop that they make the 335s, because they have a spray booth dedicated to white finishes. It's done to avoid contamination from other colors (ebony, etc).

michaelinokc

Reaction score
The Custom Shop is not in Memphis. No Customs are made in Memphis. Memphis builds hollow body and semi hollow body guitars. Any Custom Shop hollow or semi hollow body is started in Memphis and shipped to Nashville for completion.

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Shipped to Nashville for completion?
Really?

When did that start?

LPCs were a standard production model up until about a decade ago.
Yeah, I remember when the changeover was done - Gibson adding a million models to their line and all... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

My 2006 EDS-1275 was one of the first to get the OFFICIAL Custom Shop logo on the headstock.

So, is the Custom Shop in Memphis or Nashville?
(And what about Montana?)

It was my understanding when I bought my 335 ten years ago that the Custom Shop was there in Memphis too.
I know Gibson has re-tooled and moved stuff around regularly as they shifted production focus.

:dunno:

Slick

Reaction score
My 335 says custom shop on the orange f hole sticker and came with a custom shop COA and case, it was made in Memphis :hmm:

JMB1984

Reaction score
It's all in the link above:

The Nashville Custom is where Gibson builds all of their historical reissue solid body models, carved arch top guitars, and the Les Paul Custom. Solid carved wood Jazz Guitars, such as the L5, Super 400, and CS-336 models.

The Memphis Custom Shop builds all of Gibson’s laminate semi hollow bodies, like the ES 335, ES 339, and ES 359.

So getting to the original question, if they infact have a special white finish station in Memphis, it makes sense for those guitars to also be spray finished in the Memphis Custom shop regardless of the build being done in the Nashville Custom shop. Either way the white Custom is still Custom Shop.

stratlt

Reaction score
Anyone have official confirmation that white Les Paul Customs made in Memphis? Sorry, this is old thread, but still interesting.

ddh101

Reaction score
Anyone have official confirmation that white Les Paul Customs made in Memphis? Sorry, this is old thread, but still interesting.

A work mate of mine just got back from touring the Memphis facility. They make and finish the White Customs in Memphis. It's the only solid body they produce there.

stratlt

Reaction score
A work mate of mine just got back from touring the Memphis facility. They make and finish the White Customs in Memphis. It's the only solid body they produce there.

They produce them in Memphis or just sprayed/finished them in this factory?
Where they are doing the final assembly?
And where can I find the official info on the web about that?

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know it is a little outside the lines of the "white" discussion here but, last time I was in in Memphis, they also made some basses there....were making T-Birds that day.

musicmaniac

Reaction score

Does that include white Studios?

ddh101

Reaction score
I know it is a little outside the lines of the "white" discussion here but, last time I was in in Memphis, they also made some basses there....were making T-Birds that day.

I was wrong (which doesn't shock my wife). According to this video @ 2:10 he confirms the Double Neck (solid body) production, too. This video is dated circa 2010 so not current. I reckon basses may be part of their production now, too.

http://youtu.be/zEiiDa0twNM

Latest Threads