White les paul custom

lead

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some input, I have an opportunity to buy this guitar, it's not close, us I'm in canada
kakakallao.jpg
jdjdjdkd.jpg
jahaha.jpg
hahaha.jpg
i98iyt.jpg
so it would have to be shipped that means no hands on till the deal is done. Could you guys give me your input on the pics that I have received so far, any info would be great like price range what to look out for any input would be good input thanks.

rogue3

Reaction score
shit,its pretty pictures.has a volute.headstock looks good.fake or real?...idk. i am out.

lead

Reaction score
I wonder why the low-E and B tuners are broken like that. Are they known to snap like that if overtightened?
Good question I was wondering the same one looks a little crooked also my just be the picture.

lead

Reaction score
Looks real. US price? $2,500. Maybe a bit more for someone looking for a specific year.
Maybe a bit less for someone looking for a quick sale.

I wouldn’t bother unless the shipper has a reputation and experience shipping to Canada.
Thanks for your input I have a 92 ebony custom and this one would fit well with it. I asked for a pic of the pot cavity still waiting for a reply.

lead

Reaction score
Do you think it had a fret job I cant seem to see caps on them

lead

Reaction score
Yes, fret job. No nibs.
Do you think a fret job takes away the value because the nibs are gone? I wouldn't think so all guitars are gonna get a fret job sooner or later.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think putting a value on these early seventies white customs is difficult. There's definitely a premium on the white ones, but the market is perpetually cluttered with folks asking ourageous prices for them. The huge question is always whether it's an original finish. Those one looks professional, but it's really white for one that old and one that's been played enough to need a refret. I'd say $3500 if it's all original (besides the refret). More like $2k if it's original but professionally refinished. Less if parts have been swapped, etc.

I would want cavity pics, unless it's so cheap that it's a steal no matter what's original (like, if it's $1500, just buy it). I'd also try to get some close-ups that show the edges of binding in good profile, so you can see if they look rounded-over from sanding, or nice and crisp/square like they would've been from factory. The thing with refinishes is it's easier to confirm them than it is to rule them out. If it's a 100% professional refinish over a no breaks/repairs example and it's now a few decades old, it's guesswork.

lead

Reaction score
I think putting a value on these early seventies white customs is difficult. There's definitely a premium on the white ones, but the market is perpetually cluttered with folks asking ourageous prices for them. The huge question is always whether it's an original finish. Those one looks professional, but it's really white for one that old and one that's been played enough to need a refret. I'd say $3500 if it's all original (besides the refret). More like $2k if it's original but professionally refinished. Less if parts have been swapped, etc.

I would want cavity pics, unless it's so cheap that it's a steal no matter what's original (like, if it's $1500, just buy it). I'd also try to get some close-ups that show the edges of binding in good profile, so you can see if they look rounded-over from sanding, or nice and crisp/square like they would've been from factory. The thing with refinishes is it's easier to confirm them than it is to rule them out. If it's a 100% professional refinish over a no breaks/repairs example and it's now a few decades old, it's guesswork.
Thanks so much very informative things like this are not always thought of and considered I will definitely use this.

Injector

Reaction score
I wonder why the low-E and B tuners are broken like that. Are they known to snap like that if overtightened?
Eagle eyed! Even when you mentioned it I had to look twice.

lead

Reaction score
They sent me a pic of the pot cavity, I searched the serial on the head stock and it comes up 1999 or 2009 from Nashville

Attachments

Last edited:

Moby Dick

Reaction score
They sent me a pic of the pot cavity, I searched the serial and it comes up 1999 or 2009 from Nashville
Judging by the pot codes and of course the volute near the headstock,
That is a 1974(I can’t be sure of the number after the 7).
That would make it a first year white custom which as we all know is worth some considerable money compared to a 90s custom.

lead

Reaction score
Judging by the pot codes and of course the volute near the headstock,
That is a 1974(I can’t be sure of the number after the 7).
That would make it a first year white custom which as we all know is worth some considerable money compared to a 90s custom.
Do you have any ideal why the serial number comes up as 1999 or 2009 when searched on the date authentication sight, the body looks watered i seem to see 3 layers of mahogany and a maple cap impossibly is that the norm.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The serial is a 1974 era serial... the pot code is from 1974.... this is a Norlin era pancake body.(as detected in the cavity pic).... the caps are questionable but pots are period correct.... the dot missing from the Gibson logo and headstock shape all point to a 1974 Custom. This is a Randy Rhodes twin.... no anniversary inlay just like his (means it’s an early ‘74). Awesome find.

Make sure the seller is on the level.... if its too good to be true?..... it probably is.

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I’m done with my telestein, I’m getting a white custom...
yours is awesome...

need one

-chris

Latest Threads