White burst Epi Flying V with Gibson pickups and neck thicker than the LP's preferred by a 10 year kid

pangpang

Reaction score

Thought I would post here as today my 10 year old kid Mina told me this Flying V plays even better than the Epi Les Paul she likes, as the pickups produce a similar sound to her LP (I can't tell the difference) but she says it's the neck profile that really makes a difference. I never thought she would prefer a thicker neck as I thought an Ibanez neck or a tele would have a neck more suitable for her small hands. Yet these days, she keeps telling me it's easier for the fingers to do more if the fretboard is wider. Still, she complains and says the Flying V is only good when playing while standing, as playing it while sitting down or practicing, the posture and the way one "anchors" or secures it in place is kinda awkward. I told her I am happy as the guitar has been on the wall for years now and it's becoming yellowish instead of white!!!! She said i have always liked patina on my stuff...oh brother.

Hope you like this Jimi Hendrix Little Wing cover we did earlier as a tribute to my dad (her grandpa), who left us exactly 18 months ago.

Ray

Davey Rock

Reaction score
You know when I was younger I really wanted a 61 reissue she or an ibanez because I thought the thinner the neck the faster you could play. I realize now, that I just love thick necks. My great grandfather has a vintage j50 that has an extremely rounded profile at the cowboy chord area. Beautiful.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Love the V's. But yeah, kind of have to play it banjo style sitting down

pangpang

Reaction score
You know when I was younger I really wanted a 61 reissue she or an ibanez because I thought the thinner the neck the faster you could play. I realize now, that I just love thick necks. My great grandfather has a vintage j50 that has an extremely rounded profile at the cowboy chord area. Beautiful.
Yap....I had no idea and I kept letting Mina try thin necks and stuff...now she tells me something i didn't know and I think she is right. ;-) I am just a bit surprised she is 10 and it's her who told me. he he

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Yap....I had no idea and I kept letting Mina try thin necks and stuff...now she tells me something i didn't know and I think she is right. ;-) I am just a bit surprised she is 10 and it's her who told me. he he
That's good man. I'm only 18 myself but it does my heart good to see kids so interested in guitar music nowadays. Congrats man!

Wuuthrad

Reaction score

Thought I would post here as today my 10 year old kid Mina told me this Flying V plays even better than the Epi Les Paul she likes, as the pickups produce a similar sound to her LP (I can't tell the difference) but she says it's the neck profile that really makes a difference. I never thought she would prefer a thicker neck as I thought an Ibanez neck or a tele would have a neck more suitable for her small hands. Yet these days, she keeps telling me it's easier for the fingers to do more if the fretboard is wider. Still, she complains and says the Flying V is only good when playing while standing, as playing it while sitting down or practicing, the posture and the way one "anchors" or secures it in place is kinda awkward. I told her I am happy as the guitar has been on the wall for years now and it's becoming yellowish instead of white!!!! She said i have always liked patina on my stuff...oh brother.

Hope you like this Jimi Hendrix Little Wing cover we did earlier as a tribute to my dad (her grandpa), who left us exactly 18 months ago.

Ray

I’ve found this method to be comfortable when playing a V while sitting:

Try playing in Classical position with the strap on and a bit tighter than playing standing. The neck will be at a higher angle. Place the V on the right leg with the wings cradling it, and sit upright with both legs even on the floor with no footrest.

It’s a bit different at first but becomes pretty comfortable with practice, and the fret access is the best. Once I got used to it it’s weird to play “normal” guitars!

Hope this helps- great video!

pangpang

Reaction score
I’ve found this method to be comfortable when playing a V while sitting:

Try playing in Classical position with the strap on and a bit tighter than playing standing. The neck will be at a higher angle. Place the V on the right leg with the wings cradling it, and sit upright with both legs even on the floor with no footrest.

It’s a bit different at first but becomes pretty comfortable with practice, and the fret access is the best. Once I got used to it it’s weird to play “normal” guitars!

Hope this helps- great video!

Good information!!! Thank you!!! Will def. try it. ;-)

Latest Threads