Which type of Gibson Les Paul do you prefer?

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Got that Jim? As predicted, we're all over the place!

I have solid (mostly), weight relieved(2) and chambered(1). It's all good far as I'm concerned.

R8 Pilot

Reaction score
Well I would have over 10 Gibson,s come through and out the door in the past 3 years.

Chambered,Swiss cheese,solid and lots of different pickup combos,

The thing I have learn't is that there is no magic formula and if they play really nice on the neck ,sound great and say in tune...all the rest in regards to specification/build type etc is totally irrelevant.

Backstage

Reaction score
I don't care if the guitar feels, sounds and looks right to me
smiley_emoticons_ozboss_gitarre2.gif

Farquad

Reaction score
My favorites are 57 customs. I dont play mine all the time though.
I tend to play p90 modded Deluxe and Peace more.

RichBrew

Reaction score
Anything with a P-90 on it, in which case it would be my Les Paul Junior.

RichBrew

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
My Classic cCstom clocks in at 9 lbs, perfect for me, actually, since I'm a little dude

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
Here's my experience

Chambered, 7lbs 15oz. '50s neck profile = AWESOME!
bristol-posse-albums-geetars-picture68965-photo-3.jpg

Traditional Swiss Cheese, 8lb 13oz. '60s neck profile = AWESOME!
bristol-posse-albums-geetars-picture68964-photo-2.jpg

Solid no weight relief, 9lb 2oz. custom asymmetrical baseball bat neck profile = AWESOME! (but not a Gibson)
bristol-posse-albums-geetars-picture68963-photo-1.jpg

The guitar is the sum of all it's parts and production method. I do not believe you can separate out weight relief (or lack thereof) and generally say that in isolation weight relief type x always trumps all the others.

The guitar is what it is, you like it or you don't

YMMV
Matt

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering which type of Gibson Les Paul models you prefer, Traditional weight relief or solid body? Also is it true that Gibson uses light mahogany to make there solid body custom models? How do traditional weight relief models sound different from solid body models?

If it plays and sounds good, that is all that matters. I'm indifferent to the weight. I usually play sitting down anyway, which makes weight a moot point.

brianbzed

Reaction score
I like them all, if they weigh between 8 and 9 lbs. I don't care if they are swiss cheese, weight relieved, or solid. My Custom weighs in at 11 lbs.....hurts my back to play it standing up for more than an hour.....:lol::applause:

smurph1

Reaction score
I really LOVE my new Traditional.. Since the Standards went all weird and coil tappy.. I was disappointed because all my friends played Standards.. But they were old school, straight up Standards.. Then I discovered that the Traditional is what the Standard used to be.. A good old school kick ass Lester with nice low output PAF tone.. Can you tell I LOVE it? It's an awesome Tobacco-burst to boot!! :)

Latearrival

Reaction score
I would prefer my LP to be solid wood!

I have a 2009 LP Trad, so it has the traditional weight relief. Would it sound any different if it were completely solid? I doubt it! - but I have aways thought there was something sacreligious about drilling bloody big holes in a guitar - even if you can't see 'em!

Anyway I once calculated on here that the "swiss cheese" holes save about 1/4 of a lb (no one here has ever contradicted my maths, so it can't be far out!)

My LP weights 9.3 lbs. Personally I reckon I could just about manage another 0.25 lbs!!! :laugh2:

raunch

Reaction score
I really dig that people here in this thread are talking about what they like in a Les Paul. Great to see all the combinations!!

I prefer them on the lighter side, but without chambering. Swiss or solid, I think that's only a psychological thing. I love them worn in and without too much lacquer on the neck. Necks can be thick or thin, doesn't matter.

Huck1far

Reaction score
Love the tones out of my solid Trad, but the neck on my 50's honeyburst tribute (chambered) is to die for. It is more comfortable after a period of about an hour or so standing up as well....

Latest Threads