Which type of Gibson Les Paul do you prefer?

Jim27

Reaction score
I'm just wondering which type of Gibson Les Paul models you prefer, Traditional weight relief or solid body? Also is it true that Gibson uses light mahogany to make there solid body custom models? How do traditional weight relief models sound different from solid body models?

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the last 40 years I've owned a lot of them. My favorites were from all categories. I don't mind a heavy guitar.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
I love a heavy les Paul. I have never played a solid les Paul, I have always played traditional weight relief les Paul's. I have tried a few modern weight relief les Paul's, and not that I noticed a huge difference, but I did notice a slight difference. I don't know if it was because the guitar felt different or actually sounded different. But I love my traditional weight relief standards.

KevinB

Reaction score
I've played quite a few different ones and I can't really detect any major variation in tone, so I don't really care if they're solid, swiss cheesed, weight relieved or whatever.

I also don't really care what the weight is within reason; anything between say 8 and 10lbs is fine.

hrfdez

Reaction score
I love them all, but if I have to choose one, it would be my 13 Traditional. Nice and heavy:thumb:

cheetah77

Reaction score
I like them lightish, 8-9lbs, no swiss cheese, chambering is fine, not overly flamed, mineral streaks a plus. I won't own a Nashville bridge Gibson again, T-Tops are essential. That's what I prefer.

Fernandomania

Reaction score
I love them all, but if I have to choose one, it would be my 13 Traditional. Nice and heavy:thumb:

Me too. My 2013 traditional is everything I want in a Lester with none of the extras that I don't need. Solid body for solid tone.

EVH9442

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I don't really know! I've played plenty of standards and traditionals in my day, and in all honesty I haven't found a single one I liked. Maybe its because they were all fresh off the wall at Guitar Center...I've always preferred used, or "broken-in" if you will. Haven't been disappointed by a studio yet, and I've loved every custom I've had the pleasure of playing! Unfortunately I can't afford a custom yet, but I have a Burny with Duncans to compromise for it!

Shredfever

Reaction score
Early 90's Classics, 70's Customs, and hotrodded 70's Deluxes. Because that's what I have, and they rule :)

entresz

Reaction score
Les Pauls with P90s or Low Impedance pickups for me. Not much of a PAF fan, it's not the sound I'm after.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Les Pauls with P90s or Low Impedance pickups for me. Not much of a PAF fan, it's not the sound I'm after.

?????

I thought this thread was about solid body, chambered bodies and/or weight relieved bodies.

I guess if we're going to derail anyway, I like LPs with a mini or P-90 on the neck, a Lollar humbucker in the bridge, and a Kahler.

I've had all the bodies save just a plain solid. I definitely dug my two solids that were "pancaked" over the ones that were weight relieved and chambered. My first "pancaked" guitar was a bit heavy, although I never weighed it. The one I have now is a very reasonable 9.5 lbs.

It sounds like a monster!

sc-closer

Reaction score
Weight relieved is fine with me. I like my guitars light because I gig them and heavy guitars just make my back hurt. I had a real '53 Goldtop once, so it was solid, but it was also not heavy. The majority of the vintage LPs I have felt/played were pretty light. I see no advantage in heavy, unless you just like way it feels. When I was younger, I did not care how heavy it was. I am not that young anymore.

I have had a couple that were chambered. They seemed fine as well.

I have come to the point where all these little details mean very little. I mean, I do have my preferences and all, but in the end, if the guitar feels right, plays nice and sounds good, that is all that matters.

SLewis

Reaction score
I'm just wondering which type of Gibson Les Paul models you prefer, Traditional weight relief or solid body? Also is it true that Gibson uses light mahogany to make there solid body custom models? How do traditional weight relief models sound different from solid body models?

Obviously:
GibsonLPWeights.jpg

I like les pauls of all body construction types. I can usually find one that sounds great in each category.

paco1976

Reaction score
I don 't buy what I prefer, I buy what is available in the used market, with an appealing price and that will do the work for me. Once I own it, of I feel right with it, it starts to make part of me somehow and them I prefer it over anything else.Otherwise I resell.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Me likes Standards, Specials and Juniors with slim taper necks. Humbuckers and P90s both. I have three with 490/498, BB Pros and P90s. I like the sound of the 57 Classics also. I like both full solid bodies with maple caps. I also like the chambered ones. I have one! Even though I dig the Customs, I don't appreciate the fat necks on the ones I've tried out.

Juanjay24

Reaction score
Jr Specials are my favorites but I do not mind a heavy Lester either. I just like the snarl I get out of the Jr Specials and those sweet sweet P-90s

GeeJay

Reaction score
I've not played a solid body LP standing up on a strap, as the only Historics I've played were in stores sat on a stool and as I'm GAS free at the moment, have not played the current solid Traditionals. So based on what I have played standing up, the Swiss cheese LPs around 8-9lbs have been best for me. Chambered versions feel neck heavy to me and I really don't like that at all. I also prefer a 50's style neck profile.

From a tone perspective, I haven't heard a Les Paul I didn't like. Solid, drilled, chambered, carved, flat, single cut, double cut, Custom Shop, USA, Epiphone, 500T, Burstbuckers, P90, Classic 57, etc... They are all different and all have plenty of goodness. My preferences are for the guitars in my signature below, but in truth if I pretty much blindly acquired another Les Paul I would probably like the way it sounded.

Yaff

Reaction score
If I have the money (which I do) I would go for a solid body Custom Shop, as generally they are the best of the bunch. Tone, Play ability, Feel and Looks

On a budget, I would go for a Studio, as they generality are great sounding and playing LP`s, as a fantastic price. I can also get the fat neck I love.

If I had the cash to bu a standard (after buying a good quality Amp / Cab), I would go for the Transitional, as I like the tone and fatter neck.

But there are exception and poor examples of each, so you still need to try before you buy !

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
Are we talking just weight relief? I can honestly say I don't hear a discernable difference between my Custom with normal weight relief and my chambered Standard I gave up for it. I don't tend to play standing up so maybe the chambered is better for me, who knows.

As for what Les Paul I prefer, I would have to say the Norlin era, not because of any tangible difference where I can say the guitars are better, but because I was born in '76 and I simply want my guitar to be from that same year.

Latest Threads