Which tube brand?

stp

Reaction score
on my bugera amps its self bias so you dont have to buy match pairs of tubes.you can save there.I been running JJ s with no problems

Captngeetch

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to thow in my thoughts. I have a Bugera TriRec and immediate retubed her with JJ EL34's and 12AX7's. She sounded much better, but didn't hit the mark...I knew swapping in EL34's would make it sound more like a Marshall but wanted to have the option of having a set on hand to get that sound and to try some different combinations since the Infinium circuitry allows any combo without the need to rebias the amp. I have since changed to Shugauang Coke Bottle 6L6's, a pair of Mullard reissue 12AX7's in A & B, a Tung Sol in C and JJ's in the other sockets. Now she has that Mesa sound and gain for days when pushed and sweet chimmy cleans. I never have the gain beyond 6 on channels 2 & 3 it's more than enough and zero mud.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If I am buying a new (recently produced) tube, 9 times out of 10, it'll be a JJ. IMO, JJ makes the toughest tubes and the tubes that can take the most plate voltage (and abuse). I put JJ 6v6s in my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 (a 6L6 tube amp) and it was magic (also put a GWS Green Beret in for one of the Celestions). The plate voltage of the HRD is 475v (IIRC) and the JJ 6v6s can handle it. I wouldn't try that with any other brand.

If I am playing around with a low power amp, I might roll some NOS tubes and see what happens.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
If I am buying a new (recently produced) tube, 9 times out of 10, it'll be a JJ. IMO, JJ makes the toughest tubes and the tubes that can take the most plate voltage (and abuse). I put JJ 6v6s in my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 (a 6L6 tube amp) and it was magic (also put a GWS Green Beret in for one of the Celestions). The plate voltage of the HRD is 475v (IIRC) and the JJ 6v6s can handle it. I wouldn't try that with any other brand.

If I am playing around with a low power amp, I might roll some NOS tubes and see what happens.
You make a great point.
I don't know about the rest of the Blues and HotRod series, but the Blues Junior tends to be biased very "hot" and red plating is not uncommon after tube swaps.
Unfortunately, it's also not easily biased.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
You make a great point.
I don't know about the rest of the Blues and HotRod series, but the Blues Junior tends to be biased very "hot" and red plating is not uncommon after tube swaps.
Unfortunately, it's also not easily biased.
There are a couple good vids on YT on biasing the HR and Blues series. When I swapped the 6v6s in I had to rebias and ran them a little hot. I realize that may shorten the life of the tubes, but I am fine with that, if I get the tone that I am looking for.