Which tube brand?

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
I have a Bugera 333XL that desperately needs new set of tubes and I can't decide on which tubes to buy!

I play metal (think Metallica-ish) and a bit of punk. So dirty channels is my main priority in tone wise.
I'd like to keep the EL34s since I enjoy the midrange I get out of them.

Would it be worth it to buy tubes that are a bit more expensive on such a budget amp?
For some weird reasons I can't quite see it's worth it to invest in more expensive tubes for a cheap amp.

I'd like to hear some from your experience. And I'd like to hear about JJ tubes - Are they really the best value for money?

monty john

Reaction score
Forget JJ....been using Tung Sol on the last 2 amps I had...work great and affordable....

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Id recommend whatever a dealer stocks for your amp who goes through Apex Tube Matching. A full set of power and preamp tube replacements is best imo. When you bias the amp properly with matched sets the tubes perform better and last much longer.

Last edited:

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
Id recommend whatever a dealer stocks for your amp who goes through Apex Tube Matching. A full set of power and preamp tube replacements is best imo. When you bias the amp properly with matched sets the tubes perform better and last much longer.
I'm not sure about the whole Infinium technology on my amp, but if it's not just a marketing thing, I guess I don't have to worry about biasing

jtwoods4

Reaction score
I have a Bugera 333XL that desperately needs new set of tubes and I can't decide on which tubes to buy!

I play metal (think Metallica-ish) and a bit of punk. So dirty channels is my main priority in tone wise.
I'd like to keep the EL34s since I enjoy the midrange I get out of them.

Would it be worth it to buy tubes that are a bit more expensive on such a budget amp?
For some weird reasons I can't quite see it's worth it to invest in more expensive tubes for a cheap amp.

I'd like to hear some from your experience. And I'd like to hear about JJ tubes - Are they really the best value for money?
JJ tubes, Ruby tubes, Tung Sol you'll be fine with any of those brands. I'm an active touring musician and have to change tubes pretty often. Don't waste your money on expensive NOS tubes ( old stock ). They do a pretty good job making tubes nowadays. Hell even groove tubes from Guitar center are going to sound pretty decent.

unless you're one of the guys sitting in their bedroom doing a blind a/b test and comparing tubes it's really not going to make that much of a difference when you're out there on the road playing gigs. Trust me I've been there and done that.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
There are three tube manufacturers left on the planet; Reflektor in Russia, Shuguang in China and JJ in Slovakia. Any tube you buy, whether labelled Groove, Ruby, Mesa Boogie-whatever, comes from one of these factories.

Hannahhh

Reaction score
I would not say that Bugera has bad amplifiers, although they are cheaper than many others. For example, many 15 watts of Bugera sound better than 50 watts of another amps. Should You buy expensive tubes? Why intentionally buy something expensive? You need to look for something quality, but choose a place where it costs less. For example, You can even watch the tubes of Bugera's production.
Well, or really popular JJ electronics and Groove. In general, I wonder what You'll choose. I would be glad if you write here what you bought and read your reviews.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
www.audiotubes.com

Many don't cost much more than a modern tube.

He also offers Noise/Microphonics test on a single ended Class A amp they use to test microphone tubes, and other critical applications where you want very quiet tubes. I have all my tubes tested that I buy from him, and have never gotten a bad tube from him. He also Oscopes them so he can both see, and hear any noise.
He also tests all tubes, at full output, on Every Parameter the tube has, on a Tektronix Curve Tracer. $5. $15 for complete test of each tube, and well worth it. I also believe he sells modern tubes, which he can also screen. But lke I said, many of these NOS tubes cost little more than a modern tube.

IMHO there no comparison in build quality of modern vs NOS/ vintage tubes. The main thing is, is to not get rippped off, and get what youre paying for.

And NO, I have 000 Affiliation to Brent.

7025/12AX7 Premium industrial grade, Magnavox, CBS, or GE, plus other vintage USA made brands.​
New Old Stock in original boxes and whitebox. Low noise version of the 12AX7. These are an excellent step up from the 12AX7, and are suddenly a "hot" tube , making them scarce. Get them now or miss out! Some are labeled for Fender or Amperex but are GE 1960s made.​
$40.00​
in stock​

5751 Premium industrial grade 12AX7, JAN military grade GE and 5-Star GE​
New Old Stock in original boxes, greyplates. Early 1970s production, will outlast and outperform any of the current production crap! These are Joint Army-Navy tubes, USA made, and are a BARGAIN right now. Stock up!​
$30.00​
in Stock​

12AX7 Sylvania blackplate​
New Old Stock in whiteboxes, some labels are smeared but these are the genuine D-getter 1950s vintage blackplates. These resemble the JAN military Sylvania blackplates, and sound as good if not better. These are very hard to find, get 'em while you can! MATCHED PAIRS, WHEN AVAILABLE, ARE $120.00 PER PAIR.​
$60.00​
In Stock​
12AX7 Sylvania special select organ (low noise) tubes, 1950s & 1960s vintage.​
New Old Stock in whiteboxes, specially made and selected for Baldwin, Lowrey, Conn, and Wurlitzer organs. A few are for Motorola instruments, some are blank industrial stock tubes. Very nice audio graded grey plates, all Sylvania USA made. These "audio screened" selected organ tubes are the best-kept secret in the 12AX7 world. Matched pairs just $80.00! Try some now before the secret is out and the price skyrockets! CLIENT COMMENTS: "The five tubes you sent me was not a subtle difference in solving my hiss and noise level with my Rogue Cronus Magnum II amplifier, IT WAS A NIGHT and DAY difference-Totally Worth The Investment!!!!!!!! I told my buddy, who is a tube head as well, about my fortune and your company. See Yah! G.T."​
$40.00​
In Stock​
JHS12AX7A, 12AX7WA and 6681 JAN Sylvania​
New Old Stock in original military boxes. Rugged military Sylvania tubes that sound great, some of the JAN tubes are relabeled for Philips but are USA Sylvania made. The WA type is military and the 6681 type is industrial. A nice vintage 12AX7 that is still a bargain!​
$50.00​
In Stock​
12AX7 Sylvania​
New Old Stock in original and whiteboxes. A nice vintage 12AX7 that is still a bargain! Client comments: "Brent, Just a note to say the NOS Sylvania 12AX7's sound great in my older Fender guitar amps. What a buy! While I could not afford the more expensive tubes you offer, these were only a few dollars more than your typical new tubes manufactured today and they sound way better to my ears. My amps are now very quiet and have more detail and a "sweetness" they did not have before. I've tried JJ's, the new Tung-Sol's, Electro-Harmonix, Groove Tubes and even the older Fender branded 7025's. None of those sound as good as these. At $30.00 each, they are a good buy for us who own older tube guitar amplifiers. Thanks again, G.C."​
$40.00​
In Stock​

7025/12AX7 Premium industrial grade, Sylvania.​
New Old Stock in original boxes and whitebox. Low noise version of the 12AX7. These are an excellent step up from the 12AX7, and are suddenly a "hot" tube , making them scarce. Many labeled for Burroughs for critical industrial use. Some are 6681 communications grade. Get them now or miss out!​
$40.00​
in stock​

Sylvania JHS 5751 Triple Mica blackplate Premium 12AX7​
New Old Stock in original box and white box. Fine, early 1960s military tubes with yellow, gold, or green lettering on the glass, TRIPLE MICA, identical to the Gold Brand industrial line, but these have standard pins. Awesome tubes that have reached a peak in demand and are getting scarce! One is labeled 12AX7WA Sylania in yellow over the 5751 marking, one made for Westinghouse, but is the same 5751 tube as described. MATCHED PAIRS ARE $160.00 PER PAIR.​
$80.00​
in stock​
Sylvania Green or gold Labelled JHS 5751, greyplate TRIPLE MICA Premium 12AX7​
New Old Stock in original box and white box. Fine, early 1960s military tubes with green or gold lettering on the glass (Gold Brand). These sound like the blackplate triple mica versions and you pocket the savings! MATCHED PAIRS ARE $150.00 PER PAIR WHEN AVAILABLE.​
70.00​
In Stock​
Sylvania BUTT UGLY 5751, greyplate TRIPLE MICA Premium 12AX7, military type​
New Old Stock in white box. These are the same tubes as the military TRIPLE MICA tubes listed above, but are just plain BUTT UGLY! These are missing labels or have strange brands on the label, just ugly old tubes! Fine, early 1960s military tubes that sound fantastic. These sound like the blackplate triple mica versions and you pocket the savings (if you can put up with living with these ugly as sin tubes!). MATCHED PAIRS ARE $120.00 PER PAIR WHEN AVAILABLE.​
55.00​
out of Stock​
Sylvania Green or gold Labelled JHS 5751, greyplate 2 mica Premium 12AX7​
New Old Stock in original box. Fine, early 1960s military tubes with green or gold lettering on the glass. These sound like the triple mica versions and you pocket the savings! A few have been re-labeled ECG. MATCHED PAIRS ARE $110.00 PER PAIR WHEN AVAILABLE.​
45.00​
In Stock​

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
In the US I got a full set of tubes (4x matched 12AX7, 4x matched EL34) selected for my Marshall JCM 2000 shipped to me for $100 online from Amazon

Scott79

Reaction score
I've used jj's in both my blackheart handsome devil, and traynor YCV50B, I'm super happy with both. I play mostly hard rock. Check out thetubestore.com

Gutch220

Reaction score
I've had good experience with JJ tubes. I would never spend a ton of money on NOS tubes because they aren't worth it IMO. To me, tubes are like tires on a car, you want new/fresh ones. That's just me.
Thetubestore is a good place. So is Eurotubes, they will even take orders for hotter/cooler tubes depending on current draw. My go to power tubes are JJ E34L's

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Good NOS preamp tubes are usually worth the dough, provided you don't have to pay dumb money for them. I bought some Rogers branded Philips i65 tubes over five years ago and used them in my main amp, a VOX Night Train. They still test strong and have years left on them.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Ive still got the orgiinal preamp tubes that came in my 69 Dual Showman Rvb. I had the amp completely gone over, and modded to Blackface/ODS, and though I did put NOS Sylvania 6L6GCs back in, he told me to leave the preamp tubes alone. They must have 20,000 hours on them. Power Tubes probably had 15,000 hours on them.

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Really appreciate all of the input!

I had no time for hobbies since beginning a new night job - But I finally have found time to mess with my amp.
I recently bought a new cab, and I wanna test it out first before I get into new tubes - Basically trying to use the last of my tubes!

I have settled for a set of TAD tubes, and I plan to buy them next week. I will write down my thoughts about the tubes!