Which truss rod cover do you have on your Standard Les Paul? Pictures?

Atomant

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen alot of Les Pauls, be it Traditional or Customs you know those with the Kluson Tuners that goes with a blank truss rod cover thats really nice.

So I'm wondering for owners of Standard Les Pauls with Grover tuners, what truss rod covers do you have on? The one with 'Standard' written on it? Or just a blank one? Would be great to see some pictures.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
My 2001 came with Grovers and a "Standard" truss rod vover.

Music.jpg

(most recent, Kluson style, P.G. off, SD TB-6 in the bridge)
LPc_zpspk87djd2.jpg

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are not Grover, but they are Standards. I personally like the model written on the TRC; I guess because my first (and now departed) LP was that way. I also like the speed knobs.

My first (and now departed) a '96 Standard

My 1990 (giving me my user name, which was SUPPOSED to be "cherrysunburst90" but OOPS and now, I like the "00")

And Lastly, my 2004 Standard which had a blank TRC, but I purchased the '90s style with the "squared" S on Standard and I changed the knobs to speed knobs

I even had 1 specially made for my Axcess
http://s428.photobucket.com/user/le...eee23ddf335c_zpscss0xq0f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

Atomant

Reaction score
hee hee thanks. You guys are really cool. For a moment I thought I'm gonna get flamed for being a Les Paul geek!!! But you guys really posted some pictures!!!

I wanna find out if it would be weird for a les paul with grovers to have a blank TRC on like how most Les Pauls would have with traditional kluson style tuners. :)

cherrysunburst00

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to worry about being a Les Paul geek on THIS site!!

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
The white imprinting dissolves easily with fret polish like Mag polish. It's not embosed to last...meh!

Frankg11

Reaction score
Why are some standard with pick guard and some are not

I have a standard quilted maple top no guard. Is The a ryhme and reason

Slower minds want to know

Gargamel647

Gold Plated Member
Reaction score
I put blank covers on all mine except my customs. I not a fan of the big white script. It looks tacky to me.

Atomant

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, but it seems like I've almost never seen a blank TRC on a Standard LP with Grover tuners, just like how there are hardly any historic or old Standards with Grover tuners though the Grover tuners holds a place in history as much as the Klusons.

ARandall

Reaction score
Why are some standard with pick guard and some are not

I have a standard quilted maple top no guard. Is The a ryhme and reason

Slower minds want to know

Because there is personal taste involved.

More recent LP's have come without a guard fitted from the factory due to popular demand (as you cannot undrill the holes if you want no guard). But of course it is not hard to fit the supplied guard should you choose to.

ARandall

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, but it seems like I've almost never seen a blank TRC on a Standard LP with Grover tuners, just like how there are hardly any historic or old Standards with Grover tuners though the Grover tuners holds a place in history as much as the Klusons.
The stock LP never came with grovers, it was always an upgrade after the fact. Hence the stock reissues come how they came from the factory (otherwise its hardly a reissue).

Of course the CC line is how the guitar is now, or was when it became iconic. So any guitar like a Jimmy Page replica would have the Grovers.

cherrysunburst00

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock LP never came with grovers, it was always an upgrade after the fact. Hence the stock reissues come how they came from the factory (otherwise its hardly a reissue).

Of course the CC line is how the guitar is now, or was when it became iconic. So any guitar like a Jimmy Page replica would have the Grovers.

Respectfully, that is not correct. Starting in 2008, the Standard had Grovers. Also, the 2016 came with Grovers, and in the early 2000s they came with Grovers, as JCM900 stated above.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard/High-Performance.aspx

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Mine is engraved..:naughty:
20160522_151933_HDR.jpg

(Grovers not stock of course)

cherrysunburst00

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice One, Kris. All of mine are engraved too.

Frankg11

Reaction score
Because there is personal taste involved.

More recent LP's have come without a guard fitted from the factory due to popular demand (as you cannot undrill the holes if you want no guard). But of course it is not hard to fit the supplied guard should you choose to.

Thank you for this. I have a 2013 didn't even get a pickguard with the guitar to make the choice. LOL. If I wanted to go with the removable I would also need to replace the pickup rings. Almost to much to worry about.

Thanks.

GuitarJoe

Reaction score
When I was younger & just starting out, I'd see this ad every month in the guitar mags and I guess it made an impression in me because I really like that style of "Standard" on the tuss rod cover.

il_570xN.1030570355_i8oy.jpg

Atomant

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply guys. Even though I haven't got my answer, looking at all these pictures are a whole lot of fun! :)

ARandall

Reaction score
Respectfully, that is not correct. Starting in 2008, the Standard had Grovers. Also, the 2016 came with Grovers, and in the early 2000s they came with Grovers, as JCM900 stated above.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard/High-Performance.aspx

Oh, I would have thought my meaning was clear.....given my next sentence concerned 'the reissues' - I'm talking the 54-60LP. And I never mentioned the standard either, as it wasn't a standard back then.

To make it even more clear - The original LP's never came with Grovers......

Latest Threads