Which top do you like better?

dscottyg

Reaction score
Do u plain on wiring it 50s? If so hit me up. If u don't know how..... It is easy takes about 5 minutes and is reversible, I love it on les Paul's because it allows me to thin out my tone if need be...... Instead of rolling off a bunch of highs, your tone (when volume is rolled back) thins out bass frequencies first then highs, this allows you to play with unending combos of tones.... Also helps clean up a dirty tube amp because your removing thick frequencies and by doing so increasing clarity.......i could talk all day about the differences, both r neat but I prefer "50s" (even though "modern" was used on several 50s les Paul's as well) its one of the only easy and free tonal changes one can do
Ya, how do you do it?

Reaction score
This would involve gutting guitar and if you want to use braided on the pickups you have to take the pickup apart..... Or get pickups with braided wire like SD lovers or antiquities etc. But you could get the basic 50swiring characteristics by just switching the cap...... And that's like a 2 minute job lol...... Send me a Pic of control cavity and I'll be able to tell more, I'm guessing they used 2 or 4 conductor wire on the pups but none of that matters if you only want to move caps.....

Reaction score
All that braided wire does is look cool and add capacitance..... Which moved the resonant peak down a little, so instead of getting high treble peak you might get an upper mid peak, it's also really easy to work with......

HJR

Reaction score
You made a great choice! #2 for looks and the weight seals the deal. Congrats!

dscottyg

Reaction score
All you have to do is move the cap on the volume pots to the middle lug......if you wanna go full out and use single conductor braided to the switch pm me and I'll walk you through it
Interesting. I might try that. As for changing the actual wires, I don’t think I’d get into that. Maybe at some point. I’ll run it by my friend who is rally into modifying guitars.

Latest Threads