Which top do you like better?

dscottyg

Reaction score
I like the top better on 2, but the fretboard is nicer on 1... tough call. I picked mine because of the beautiful fretboard and the insane mahogany ribbon back and sides, flame is ok but no wow factor.

Id probably pick 2. GL and post pics of whatever you get.
I will.

guitzero

Reaction score
Well then, TWO for daaaaays... I'm good with either fretboard personally.

guitzero

Reaction score
And yea, I have had an account for four years and that was my first post (saw it in my weekly email!)

PeterSfa

Reaction score
2 for me, I do not like when it is too much yellow or orange. Nr 1 is too much up in the face with yellow.

60'svibe

Reaction score
To be perfectly forthright...I have never liked FLAMED TOP PAULS. In reality I don't like flame tops period. They have become so defacto they are now trite and redundant. I have always preferred plain tops. Black LP Customs were my go to Paul back in the day. I even liked the refinished gold tops so plentiful back in the early 1970's when guitarists by the thousands refinished the tops of Pauls or the bodies of Teles and Strats. They had a REAL look to them. A pragmatic machine meant for blasting out notes to the universe. Nowadays with the current crop of guitar-wankers the glitzy, overly done look of flame or tiger topped guitars is about as fru fru as you can get. So stop assuming everyone likes a flame topped Paul or whatever. Give me a man's guitar. And I am not talking about those phaux-aged fakes on the market. Give me a little "do it yourself". Just sayin'. You can choose what you like but it seems that everyone assumes that flame tops are the defacto choice...and they aren't. I would take a natural wood top (and I have as you can see in the photo) or even a custom painted color top on a Paul or Tele.
LP14.jpg

Last edited:

premiumplus

Reaction score
#2 for the win. I like the way that the top looks more "one piece" than #1. I don't like the way that a lot of LP tops are matched up so that they look like sergeant stripes.

wjlim22

Reaction score
#1 looks very nice. I didn't know they made the 50s in ice tea burst!

skydog757

Reaction score
#2, but you're now at a point where you are overthinking it. Whichever one you get, in a year you'll be "Man! I shoulda bought that other one!" It has happened to me before.

Latest Threads