Which sounds best

Nick_M

Reaction score
The title is of course subjective, but I'm genuinely interested which sounds better to our players, The Standard or the Studio?
I know I don't post much, but life is busy soz.

Mine are a 2016 Standard T and a 2011 50's Tribute.
Same pickups in both (57 classics) apart from the bridge in the studio is still the 498T
For me The studio wins every time and I think its because it's chambered.
What's your experience please :)

Attachments

jbash

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that most of the folks here know well enough to judge Les Paul models based on their individual merit..i.e. on a case by case basis. Some studios suck. Some are fantastic. Some customs suck. Some are fantastic...etc...

I have a Tribute that sounds better than my Traditional. I have a Slash collection Standard that makes them both seem like cheap chinese knock-off guitars from the local music store that specializes in band instruments for the Elementary School.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that most of the folks here know well enough to judge Les Paul models based on their individual merit..i.e. on a case by case basis. Some studios suck. Some are fantastic. Some customs suck. Some are fantastic...etc...

I have a Tribute that sounds better than my Traditional. I have a Slash collection Standard that makes them both seem like cheap chinese knock-off guitars from the local music store that specializes in band instruments for the Elementary School.
I’d agree with this. I’ve picked up studios and more budget models that surprised me and some really expensive models that were duds. And the reverse has happened as well. Even within the same model, they seem to vary. I’ve played several standard 60’s before getting mine and though similar…no two were exactly alike.
Add in how much specs change and vary year to year, a studio from 2005 won’t be the same specs as a studio now. It really just comes down to each individual guitar.

However, if we were to generalize. I did watch a livestream from Phillip McKnight a few weeks back and he commented that many players have sold their studios to upgrade to a standard and regretted letting the studios go. I believe Trogly has mentioned this as well. So maybe there is something special about a good studio.

Personally, I have a 2005 studio and 2020 standard and like them both for different reasons. Wouldn’t say one is better than the other. They each do their own thing well. Although if I had to pick one, the standard is definitely more dynamic and articulate tonally and I can get a greater variety of tones from it with the volume and tone knobs. This might just come down to the pickups and wiring which can be modified on both guitars.

Last edited:

Nick_M

Reaction score

Good to hear I'm not the only one, but hey one can never have too many Les Paul's

Nick_M

Reaction score

Yes very true and disappointing when that happens.

dk2429

Reaction score
I have a 2018 60's Tribute (490R/498T), and a 2012 Traditonal (50's neck, classic 57's.)

I love them both. But wow that Tribute is such an awesome guitar. Don't get me wrong! I'm all about the pretty tops, binding, pearl logo, etc... But if you get past the fact that the Tribute has none of the crazy cosmetics like a Trad/Standard/Classic, it is a KILLER instrument. Wouldn't trade mine for ANYTHING.

And I agree with the above comments. Although I will always LOVE Gibson guitars, they are the most inconsistent guitar manfacture that I know of. But when you find a good one, it is a GOOD ONE.

BDW60

Reaction score

Note to self: do not buy jbash’s Trad if it appears in the classifieds ... ;)

Nick_M

Reaction score
I have a 2018 60's Tribute (490R/498T), and a 2012 Traditonal (50's neck, classic 57's.)

I love them both. But wow that Tribute is such an awesome guitar. Don't get me wrong! I'm all about the pretty tops, binding, pearl logo, etc... But if you get past the fact that the Tribute has none of the crazy cosmetics like a Trad/Standard/Classic, it is a KILLER instrument. Wouldn't trade mine for ANYTHING.

And I agree with the above comments. Although I will always LOVE Gibson guitars, they are the most inconsistent guitar manfacture that I know of. But when you find a good one, it is a GOOD ONE.
Never a true word spoken.

So inconsistent and I would say "individual" like a living thing or a personality, and maybe that's what makes them so loved. Thank you

kisschicken

Reaction score
Sold my 2011 50s Tribute with 490/498 to fund a 2021 60s Standard with Burstbucker 61R/T.

I much prefer the look of the standard, but I wish I had kept the Tribute. It sounded great, was a LOT lighter, and the satin neck was a lot more playable than the sticky standard neck.

Not sure how the new Tributes play, but those early Tributes punched way above their weight.

Latest Threads