which songs do you think are done to death in Rock cover bands

splatter

Reaction score
Way to many band play the same old tired songs,I think a lot of the time its because they play whats easy and quick, to get out playing,everyone knows the tune and they just never take it off the list .

I'll start

gimmie 3 steps
born to be wild
tush
pride and joy
fly me courageous
play that funky music
simple man
paranoid ( Black sabbath version)
livin after midnight
another thing coming

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I'll add in

La Grange
Call Me the Breeze
Can't Get Enough
Black Magic Woman

All the songs listed so far was like 1/2 of the set material in the classic rock/blues band I used to be in. I was begging, pleading with the member to wake up and change the material, but they just loved it and now they have a harder time getting gigs as they stil lhave a lot of that material. I warned em. We needed to have 500+ songs from every genre ready to go. Only way you're going to keep the bar owner and patrons happy. No one wants song after song of SRV blues. It's so dead.

many of these songs are ruined for me. I won't play Pride and Joy anymore....can't stand it. I even have to turn if off when it's on the radio.....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Way to many band play the same old tired songs,I think a lot of the time its because they play whats easy and quick, to get out playing,everyone knows the tune and they just never take it off the list .

I'll start

gimmie 3 steps
born to be wild
tush
pride and joy
fly me courageous
play that funky music
simple man
paranoid ( Black sabbath version)
livin after midnight
another thing coming

Three words.... "Know. Your. Audience."

We play all that shit, and more. It's what the folks who come to see us want to hear. I'd rather play the same old fucking shit (other than a few that I swore off and make no bones about it) to a crowded dance floor of happy people -- jumpin' jivin' & wailin' -- than maintain some pretense of artistic creativity to a dead house.

It's a cover band, FFS :rofl:

The audience chooses, not you!

splatter

Reaction score

We play all that shit, and more. It's what the folks who come to see us want to hear. I'd rather play the same old fucking shit (other than a few that I swore off and make no bones about it) to a crowded dance floor of happy people -- jumpin' jivin' & wailin' -- than maintain some pretense of artistic creativity to a dead house.

I knew this thread would strike a nerve with someone. I meant to add a disclaimer that I hope it didn't offend anyone if your band was playing these songs but I forgot,

There is no pretense of artistic creativity. Its a cover band. However, I contend that a cover band can try to play something a little different. I don't mean jam away on the tune either I'm of the belief that a good cover is as close to the original as possible.
I mean something that not everyone else is playing like Boston maybe or some Foreigner. I realize every song has been covered at some point. I'm just saying I would rather play the ones that aren't done all the time by every other band out there.

dave b

Reaction score
Our entire set list has been beat to death. 18 songs listed above^^ . We do 10 of them, and have been doing some of them for 20+ years :band:.

Come to think of it, my band is 25 years old this week. Woo-hoo.

I'll add: The Weight
Brown Sugar
Hey Joe
Long Cool Woman
Hotel California
Already Gone
Yadda yadda yadda :cheers2:

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Crazy Train
Gimme 3 steps
anything Bon Jovi
living after midnight
breaking the law
Highway to hell

Pappy58

Reaction score

While I tend to agree with this in general...there is a limit as well. If you are a GOOD BAND, the material doesn't matter as much, as long as it's recognized. When I was in my Classic Rock band for many years, we didn't put things like Mustang, 3Steps, Alabama etc on the list. We played several ABB songs, and for Skynyrd it was Curtis Lowe, I Need You, Tuesdays Gone, Things going on etc. But even then I got pretty burned outplaying that shit. I'm in a Blues band now and we have a good harp player and play a lot of Chicago and Delta blues, in a rock style. We rotate stuff around and try and keep it fresh. Much more enjoyable.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
2 gigs ago a chick came up to me and requested Sweet Home Alabama. Soon as I played the first four notes the dance floor instantly filled up. I thought to myself, why the hell isn't this song on the regular set list?

At the first chorus I remembered why...

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2 gigs ago a chick came up to me and requested Sweet Home Alabama. Soon as I played the first four notes the dance floor instantly filled up. I thought to myself, why the hell isn't this song on the regular set list?

At the first chorus I remembered why...
What? You don't just love it when they all sing along? :laugh2: