Which Set of pickups

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Set 1
Seymour Duncan '59(N) and Seymour duncan Custom 5(B)

Set 2
Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro(N) and Custom 5(b)

Set 3
Alnico Pro 2(Neck and Bridge)

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Number 2 considering what you play...Keep in mind though that the Custom 5 has an A5 magnet...

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Im no pro. I know that the pup uses the magnet the pickup the sound, but idk what that would do with anything.
Explain?

cynic79

Reaction score
Im no pro. I know that the pup uses the magnet the pickup the sound, but idk what that would do with anything.
Explain?

Alnico V magnets are stronger, and have a higher output than pickups made with alnico II magnets, all other things being equal. Alnico V magnets tend to be a bit brighter.

The Custom 5 has a much higher output than the Alnico II Pro, so it will drive your amp a bit harder. As to whether that is a good thing, it depends on your taste. I'm finding that I like lower output pickups, just because I like to get a big clear guitar sound to start and let my amp and pedals do the work of distorting the sound. Others like to push their amps a bit more.

Any of the pickup selections you've put forth will work fine with a proper setup. If you can, try a few guitars with those pickups in them and see what you like. If that's not possible, try some guitars with similar outputs and see what you prefer.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Well all i need is a clear sound out of the clean channel and then ill let my pedals do the rest. So use the Alnico 2s?

cynic79

Reaction score
I might go for the Alnico II Pros then, although I have managed to get some decent clean tones out of higher output pickups. Again, if you can possibly try these pickups out before you get them, or listen to some sound sample (see the SD website), I would.

Darkness59fr

Reaction score
I might go for the Alnico 2 if you get your dirty sound from pedals/amps. Alnico 2 pickups are very good for Blues/classic rock/hard rock and work very well with non master volume amps. :slash:

The Custom 5 seems also to have a much more powerfull output than the Alnico 2 or 59 : haven't try a Custom 5 but it might be hard to have a good volume balance between these neck and rhythm pickups ??? Just my guess ???

Other possibility that I have tested: Alnico 2 neck and 59 bridge works very well ! It depends if you want a bit more juicy/raw/hot bridge pickup (compare to Alnico 2 bridge)

:)

EEF13

Reaction score
Alnico V magnets are stronger, and have a higher output than pickups made with alnico II magnets, all other things being equal. .

I don't think the magnet determines the output. There are so many alnico 2 pickups that are hotter than ceramics and alnico 5. Check out the Seymour Duncan El Diablo. It's dc resistance is around 22k.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
:thumb: I think Ill put a Alnico 2 Pro in the neck becasue I love slash's tone and I know he uses the neck pickup the most. I might put the Custom 5 in the bridge for a good clean tone that is also powerful

MrRhoads

Reaction score
I don't think the magnet determines the output. There are so many alnico 2 pickups that are hotter than ceramics and alnico 5. Check out the Seymour Duncan El Diablo. It's dc resistance is around 22k.

True, magnets don´t determine the output but magnets are a part of the output.
When i think of output i think of a few things;

Wire gauge + wiring method + dc resistance + magnet type = my idea of output

Would be great to hear a winders view of it:)

Latest Threads