which pots for your Reissue?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
@jonesy Blues pots in both my R9 and my ES175 '59 reissue and they are amazing. Truly took both guitars to another level of tonality and i'm very happy with the sweep/taper of both the volume and tone pots. It will be an automatic upgrade any time i buy a guitar from now on.
I put Jonesy's 50s harness in every LP I own. I'm up to 5 or 6 now. I gig with all of them and would not care for anything else. When I get an LP, I will gig with it for 2-3 weeks to see what I like or don't like about the sound. This will determine whether I keep the pickups or try something new, along with a Jonesy 50s harness. Can't miss with them.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage harness in my Shanks, but I've had really great ones from MSSC and Joneseyblues in previous reissues.

cmcgov

Reaction score
Martin Six String Customs had the pots I liked the most. Electric City Pickups now carries the same pots that Martin Six String Customs sold. Going to Electric City Pickups website, it looks like theyre under construction. Ive found they respond to emails very well. This was four years ago. Does anyone know if theyre still in business?

I wont go with anything else. They are so transparent. I highly reccomend that you inquire about all four pots being rated at minimum 550k.

jamman

Reaction score
If not Late 50s centralabs , Vintage caps (I like out of spec BB's .033 or so ... And they sell much cheaper and work just fine , just turn up you treble on the amp a little to compensate) ....
OR ,
I would try and buy Crazy parts CTS 500K pots . If you can find any . I haven't looked for them for a while . so I'm not sure about them being available .

RocketKing

Reaction score
Martin Six String Customs had the pots I liked the most. Electric City Pickups now carries the same pots that Martin Six String Customs sold. Going to Electric City Pickups website, it looks like theyre under construction. Ive found they respond to emails very well. This was four years ago. Does anyone know if theyre still in business?

I wont go with anything else. They are so transparent. I highly reccomend that you inquire about all four pots being rated at minimum 550k.
I had a look at their website a few weeks, I'd like to change the harness in my traditional. I actually decided to get one from them but the site has been down for at least a couple of weeks... It says under maintenance. I don't have an email or anything to write to them so I have no idea what's going on actually.

Mr.Woody

Reaction score
Well, i wired in the Superpots last night and freaking LOVE them!!!!!
No jumps in volume anywhere so i'm finally able to do swells again. This will also allow me to actually use my volume knob to clean up as well. That jump between 8-10 just didn't do it for me. Too extreme.

Jer

Reaction score
Vintage Inspired Pots all the effin way. I prefer these to RS super pots. Centralab replicas and very easy to install. Well worth every penny.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
What is Gibson using in the 2019's?
New custom CTS with supposedly a very gradual taper to them (at least on the Custom Shop guitars). I wish they would put those on the regular production line also. Right now, I believe they have CTS pots in the production line, but not the newer improved pots.
Al

goodvibes

Reaction score
I did a study on a selection of pots and created a plot showing the resistance taper of a selection of pots. I posted this on a thread over on the other LP forum. The Crazyparts TVT were closest to the original centralab logarithmic taper ( but they were a tad shy of 500K :(). The VIP pots were nice but more of a linear - linear taper representation of a true logarithmic taper. The dotted grey lines a perfect linear taper for comparison. The '95 pots are a reverse log taper! Hope this helps.

A50E3830-0961-490E-A812-50E012D85229.jpeg

Last edited:

trapland

Reaction score
So if I like the pots in all the reissues and most of the USA les Pauls from the mid 90s through 2014for sure, which ones do I like? I also bought a bunch in “Gibson historic” packaging and like them too. I usually play cranked Marshalls with no drive pedals and I like the volume pots that turn down quickly.....like a major change below 7-8

treatb

Reaction score
i've been wanting to see if i can't modify the taper of a pot to get the smooth transition i want.

goodvibes

Reaction score
So if I like the pots in all the reissues and most of the USA les Pauls from the mid 90s through 2014for sure, which ones do I like? I also bought a bunch in “Gibson historic” packaging and like them too. I usually play cranked Marshalls with no drive pedals and I like the volume pots that turn down quickly.....like a major change below 7-8
I think you will like the VIP pots. They turn a bit easier than brand new CTS pots and according to several users posting about them, they are similar enough to the real centralab pots. I bought some on Reverb.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Reaction score
I would like to offer to add the taper for the CTS pots on more recent historic models, however I don't have any. If anyone is curious how they compare and they have some which they took out of their guitar, PM me and you can send them to me. I'll return them once I've measured them. You could measure them yourself if you have a quality digital multimeter and post or PM me the data to add to this chart.

Latest Threads