Which pickups have that great "double tone" PAF thing going on ?

V!N

Reaction score
Isn't it nice to see a thread with a clear title ? :)

By now, most winders have gotten into the right territory as far as tone goes. In fact, there are heaps of different PAF tones now available now in after market / boutique pickups ! Some meant to sound close to famous recorded tone without having to duplicate the entire recording setup, others to sound close to the sound that directly comes from the jack.

A good bit of bloom also isn't a rarity any more, especially if you take the time to patiently dial in the height of the pickups.

The only thing that doesn't seem to omnipresent "yet" is the double tones, but I might be wrong here. I haven't bought a set of PAF-ish pickups in quite a while now, but I do like to follow what's going on and listen to good clips.

So, which pickups have that great "double tone" PAF thing going on ?

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've only heard the "double tone" thing with any real authenticity from OTP pickups, but it's one of those things that you really need to be playing the guitar in question to be sure about, and I have by no means tried everything that's available.

I've been messing with a few different pickups just lately, and I'm more confident than ever that web clips and youtube are NOT the way to choose musical equipment...

Liam

BrianGT

Reaction score
I've only heard the "double tone" thing with any real authenticity from OTP pickups, but it's one of those things that you really need to be playing the guitar in question to be sure about, and I have by no means tried everything that's available.
I totally agree with Liam on this.
I also use OTPG pickups but it's also already in my guitar.........acoustically the note sounds and then rises before it fades away.
The pickups just amplify this and it sounds, on some notes, that you are also playing an harmonic as well as the note......like two notes. Very sweet sounding.

honduras

Reaction score
Stephens Design Vintage Labs II & III sets seem to have the double tones, along with all the other desirable PAF traits like chirp and vowel tones.

Barber

Reaction score
i can hear doubles all over all of dave stephens VL's and 58's pickups

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
can we get a link to the site?

TM1

Reaction score
ThroBak SLE-101 Ltd's. & SLE-101 Plus Ltd's have it in spades!:applause::applause::applause::applause:

nwobhm

Reaction score
ThroBak SLE-101 Ltd's. & SLE-101 Plus Ltd's have it in spades!:applause::applause::applause::applause:
:thumb: I got the ltd's! Isn't there a set designed specifically for doubletone? DT-101 or 102?

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The "double tone" thing is due to the pickups being unpotted. It's a trade off. You can have loads of great double tone but pickups that squeal at high volume or completely sterile sounding pickups that resist squealing with all but the highest gain and volume situations, or anything inbetween. Most squeel is from the cover, so you can just pot or remove the cover and still get 80% of the microphonic qualities of the pickups.
If this effect is important to you, talk with your pickup winder and he'll be able to make them to suit you, unless you want everything, which frankly isn't possible.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are lots of squealy pickups that don't have the "double tone" thing going for them. So with more than a bit of due respect, I wonder if there's something else going on there...

Liam

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
squeal comes from covers? i thought they reduced high end?

i'm probably missing something.

The Thruth

wizzard
Reaction score
guys listen to the wise man, he know what he is talking about

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are lots of squealy pickups that don't have the "double tone" thing going for them. So with more than a bit of due respect, I wonder if there's something else going on there...

Liam

You're right, it's not created by the squeal, but I was trying (very badly) to say that it's emphasized by unpotted pickups and usually reduced by completely potting. Many winders pot at a low temperature so the coils don't get soaked through with wax.

fretboarder

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what double tone is?? think ive got a little understanding of it but not much..

cheers,

JLH

Reaction score
Zhangbuckers are definitely full of double tones, I have Duane Buckers, Pagey's and Brown Buckers, they are really really good pickups that leave me inspired when I play, they nail the double tones and bloom. These are potted and have no covers

JLH

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what double tone is?? think ive got a little understanding of it but not much..

cheers,
Great question, we all hear it different, to me it was described above concerning the OTPG's where the note blooms, there is a tone or more than one tone behind the note your playing blooming giving that old wood tone. I wonder if a solid state amp would allow this to be heard as well as a tube amp ?

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if i understand the principle, the Kloppmann pickups that Gregor Hilden sometimes features in his vids have it

korus

Reaction score
So to test whether your pickup(s) has any double-tone potential ... there is VERY useful thread/post in The Other Forum Les Paul Forum but in members only area . Since membership is free, and this post Les Paul Forum alone is worth the effort, I suggest ... register and read it. HTH, it helped me.

disclaimer : I hope this is not against any rules here, I did not want to copy the whole post without permission. I'm just a member both here and there.

Latest Threads