Which pickups came standard....

brianbzed

Reaction score
Broke out the '89 35th Ann. Custom....was reminded why I fell in love and financed this guitar 29 years ago! Great action, great 70's and 80's crunch through the marshall type preamp, singing sustain and super resonant wood. The only complaint is her weight 10+ lbs.......before I begin pulling her apart, which pickups came standard in this instrument? I have Shaws in my '87 Standard and they are superior. Thanks in advance!

Trogly

Premium Member
Reaction score

Based on the photos I found online and on my experience with late 80s/early 90s Gibsons, it looks like they had the then new 490 series of pickups. This is the pickup that came after the Bill Lawrence Circuit Board pickups. They look similar to shaw/ttop on the back, but don't have ink stamps and have the large base plate screws. I believe the early '57 classics looked like this too until around '92/'93 when the 'Gibson USA' base plate was finally used.

Last edited:

brianbzed

Reaction score

Based on the photos I found online and on my experience with late 80s/early 90s Gibsons, it looks like they had the then new 490 series of pickups. This is the pickup that came after the Bill Lawrence Circuit Board pickups. They look similar to shaw/ttop on the back, but don't have ink stamps and have the large base plate screws. I believe the early '57 classics looked like this too until around '92/'93 when the 'Gibson USA' base plate was finally used.
Thanks!

KV242

Reaction score
I've have/had a few LP from 1989, a Custom and a couple Std, and all came with the Bill Lawrence Circuit Board pickups. Now out of the Norlin sub! ;)

Progrocker111

Reaction score
I've have/had a few LP from 1989, a Custom and a couple Std, and all came with the Bill Lawrence Circuit Board pickups. Now out of the Norlin sub! ;)
Yes, AFAIK they came as stock pickups on 87-89 Customs.