Which Pickup Is Which?

simon connor

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just bought this lovely looking set of OX4 LowWind humbucking pickups from a member. I'm hoping to install them myself, as they are traditional wiring (2 wire?) and after watching the Throbak video on pickup installation, I think I can manage it. However, I soon realized the pickups are outwardly identical, ie, there is no marking of Neck and Bridge positions. Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to ID which is the neck and which is the bridge? Or do I need to get a device? If that is the case please tell me what that device is - maybe a multi-meter?

Thanks for your help.

simon connor

Reaction score
I may have figured it out! I'm thinking the pickup with the longer wire must be the neck pickup, that one being farther away from the pots. Yep, it's got to be. Sorry for wasting your time.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Typically, the bridge pickup would have the higher output.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The longer wire one probably is the neck pickup but take readings with a multimeter as Victor shows to verify it's the one with the lower output (neck is lower, bridge is higher, at least that is how most people like to put them).

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I concur.
When ordering a set of pickups from any of the builders, if they are identical in every way, the neck will usually have slightly higher output by design.

simon connor

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Having no multimeter, I went with the this-one-has-a-longer-wire method LOL. I got them installed (although my 7 year old daughter came home mid-installation and started harassing me) and they seem to be working. After a slight delay to play with said daughter and eventually putting her to bed, I got to play them. The pickups sound awesome! I can't wait to play them at band practice.

Latest Threads