Cale

Reaction score
Hello guys

I've been trying a lot on my Samick 335. This time we are going to try Jimmy Page wiring.

I've looked at a few pickups that can split coils, and I'm considering the suhr's thornbucker as a prime candidate. Among the pickups capable of splitting coils, many people have recommended that they are not too expensive and have good performance.

I bought a 550k push/pull and a 500k push/push pot from Bare Knuckles. I'm going to use push/push as volume pots because the main switch I'll be using is to split the coil. This is because I decided that ease of use was important.

For the capacitor, 220nf of styroflex will be used. I try to use a 470nf capacitor when switching to a single coil if possible.

In addition, a 1.8k (neck) 3.0k (bridge) register will be added to compensate for volume loss. As in the case of prs, registers can be added with 1.1k or 2.2k. It's not confirmed yet.

I don't have much knowledge about electronics, so I'll ask a professional repair shop to do the wiring, but I plan to prepare the parts necessary for wiring myself.

I want to share your experiences. I wonder if Jimmy Page wiring is suitable for semi-hollow guitars, and which pickups are best for Jimmy Page wiring. Also I'd like to borrow some of your golden experiences, since I don't know if it's appropriate to use pots, capacitors and resistors as I think.

Thank you.

syco

Reaction score
Of course you need 4 con pickups . Neck in the 8.20k range , Bridge: 8.80k
Magnet: Alnico 5

Semi hollow will most likely give you less sustain and "airy " low end , but don't see why it couldn't be done .

Seymour Duncan "Whole Lotta " Humbuckers .

gevalt

Reaction score
Dimarzio Super Distortion gives an amazing single coil tone. I have the Page harness in mine and I play the single coils a lot.

gevalt

Reaction score
You don't need to change pot/cap values when switching, it'll sound fine. Even with PAF style humbuckers on one I used to own, the split sound was useful. I prefer hotter pickups now though. P90's are about 8K, so I figure half of 13k is as close as I can get. My bridge split sounds exactly like "Love is Strange" by Mickey & Sylvia from 1957.

Cale

Reaction score
Of course you need 4 con pickups . Neck in the 8.20k range , Bridge: 8.80k
Magnet: Alnico 5

Semi hollow will most likely give you less sustain and "airy " low end , but don't see why it couldn't be done .

Seymour Duncan "Whole Lotta " Humbuckers .
Thank you for your reply

The output seems to be a bit high compared to the typical low power paf pickups, can those pickups be free from howling?

I'm going to try wiring Jimmy Page, but I'm not trying to imitate Jimmy Page's guitar tone.

I'm just going to set my guitar up for different tone combinations and try it out because Jimmy Page wiring is famous.

Mr French

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

The output seems to be a bit high compared to the typical low power paf pickups, can those pickups be free from howling?

I'm going to try wiring Jimmy Page, but I'm not trying to imitate Jimmy Page's guitar tone.

I'm just going to set my guitar up for different tone combinations and try it out because Jimmy Page wiring is famous.
I believe you'd want the higher reading or the guitar will not sound right when you coil tap especially for bedroom volume.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
IMO Low to Medium output PAFs style pickups 7.6K Neck 8.6K bridge sound best in a 335. Keep in mind when coil splitting it is going to sound brighter and have a weaker output. Choose a set of pickups that is going to sound good and match your style of playing. You may find that you won't be splitting coil that much. The out of phase, series and series out of phase mods on the 21 tone Jimmy Page rigs are some of the more useful ones. I have been building the JP rigs since 2008 and that has been my experience with them.

Latest Threads