Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Purple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No pickguard at all

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Just got some aftermarket pickguards in the mail today. :D I like all of them but gotta stick with one for now. Was curious to see which one you guys thought looked best on this studio. Or maybe no pickguard at all?

Last edited:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Black, matches the rest of the guitar better - I’m in the like pick guards on Les Pauls camp generally.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Don't you mean "lick" minded?
Haha, well played good sir.
Black, matches the rest of the guitar better - I’m in the like pick guards on Les Pauls camp generally.
Good point, now that I’m looking at the pics side by side. The matching plastics does look cleaner together. Might try to find a 3 ply black pickguard.

v-man

Reaction score
From here it looks like an alpine Studio with ebony board.

I don’t like studios with PGs. The slick profile w/o binding calls for shedding the garbage and my Ebony studio looks perfect without.

That said, there’s too much white happening, and even though it looks off (like a custom that’s missing a thing or 2- namely the HS Diamond and binding), it needs a PG.

As it is an ebony board, black is required. The purple looks terrible IMO (black, white & Purple?!) and the same goes for tortoise. The tortoise would work against a rosewood board though.

judson

Reaction score
wait a minute! didnt we have this discussion before ?

take the dam pickguard off and sell it on ebay for weed or beer...

your playing will sound much better afterwards after adding weed and downing a few beers....

jeeez...this is Gibson Studio guitars101 , didnt you read the club menbership rules?

dont make me come back here !!!!!! :hyper:

Nintari

Reaction score
On Les Pauls, I'm always a no-pick-guard-kinda guy. They just look better that way.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Welp! Already requested the return labels for the purple and tortoiseshell guards.

I think it’ll be either no pickguard or a black pickguard.
Question is if I go with a black pickguard, do I go for the classic 5 ply?

Or a little more exotic?

Or if I remove the guard all together, maybe a different set of knobs might look better without the pickguard.

Or some tortoiseshell knobs?

THAT would look classy.
Hmm...you know I've never seen tortoiseshell knobs before. That's a cool idea. I didn't even think about the knobs as an option to change until today haha.

From here it looks like an alpine Studio with ebony board.

I don’t like studios with PGs. The slick profile w/o binding calls for shedding the garbage and my Ebony studio looks perfect without.

That said, there’s too much white happening, and even though it looks off (like a custom that’s missing a thing or 2- namely the HS Diamond and binding), it needs a PG.

As it is an ebony board, black is required. The purple looks terrible IMO (black, white & Purple?!) and the same goes for tortoise. The tortoise would work against a rosewood board though.
Yup! It's white with the ebony board.

Haha the purple was a risk, but I thought I'd try, after seeing a white/purple strat that i liked. But agreed, looking at them side by side, black def looks the better here.

Good point on the rosewood board and tortoise shell looking better together. I actually ordered the tortoiseshell after seeing a rosewood board LP with it that looked good. But I couldn't pinpoint why it looked a bit "off" on mine. Makes sense the ebony board is the reason it doesn’t match up.

I'm pretty much set on black now if I use the pickguard.

I wonder if going without a pickguard might look better with a different set of knobs? A user on TGP recommended replacing the knobs with 60's style black reflector top knobs and then taking the pickguard off.

wait a minute! didnt we have this discussion before ?

take the dam pickguard off and sell it on ebay for weed or beer...

your playing will sound much better afterwards after adding weed and downing a few beers....

jeeez...this is Gibson Studio guitars101 , didnt you read the club menbership rules?

dont make me come back here !!!!!! :hyper:
Haha, I gotta be honest my studio doesn’t pull it off as well as yours! I was excited to remove mine today but the gold hardware and dot inlays on yours look much better than mine with the guard off. Mine looks good, but a bit bare when I take the guard off as it is now.

I’m wondering if a set of black mirror top 60’s styled knobs might make the pickguard less look work better for mine. I’m all for getting some extra weed and beer, makes everything better! :slash:

Seeing them side by side and taking a proper look again. I agree, the black pickguard or no pickguard seems the best way to go. Those two options look much better than the other two.
I already ordered the return slips for the purple and tortoise, those are going back.

On Les Pauls, I'm always a no-pick-guard-kinda guy. They just look better that way.
Another vote to go pickguard less! I’m wondering if a change of knobs might help to make that look better.

judson

Reaction score
in reality do whatever works for you....its yours, .....doesnt matter what others think

i have a 71 and 72 deluxe that have pickguards and its fine for those two, i just left them alone.

but my other LPs including my R8 i removed the guard for playability really.....

i anchor my pinky somewhat and with a guard it raises my hand or creates a different angle to the strings.. just a comfort thing maybe but i can feel the difference and prefer no guard for that reason really and it s what i have been doing for years now......

there is no wrong answer really :yesway:

Latest Threads