Which one to buy??

arturocivit

Reaction score
Hi there guys, I'm in need of some experience, I'm about to buy a practice amp and I'm between 3 brands:

So far this is the favorite:
Vox Night Train 15 Watt Tube Amp Head | Sweetwater.com

A Marshall Class 5
Marshall Class5 5 Watt Tube Head (5 Watt Head) | Sweetwater.com

Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel-20 20 Watt Tube Amp Head | Sweetwater.com

I'm playing blues and blues rock and have a nice set of pedals, I just want one amp that delivers a nice clean tone so I can hook up my pedals, any experienced user with info on any of this 3 amps?

Thanks!

Arturo

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Egnater will be the most versatile, since it has variable wattage and the tube mix, definitely your best bet out of those selections. Plus, the Rebel 20 will have the most clean headroom and you have a master volume which will help in the gain area at lower volumes. The Class 5 has a nice tone, but not much clean headroom before it starts breaking up, and it has no master volume. The class 5 is a low wattage Plexi basically, which when you start to get the volume at 1/2 to 3/4 is when an amp like this starts to shine and that is damn loud. The Vox NT only sounds good with a really nice cabinet, otherwise it is just OK. It could also be that I played it the first time through a Marshall 1960 4x12 and it sounded totally awesome. Then I played it through there NT 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet and it sounded not very good. (kinda got spoiled on how I think it should sound, but a nice 4x12 for bedroom practice is a bit much and expensive.)

You could also look into the Marshall DSL15, which is not too bad. It is a little funky on the classic gain channel, where you really need to turn it up to get some real volume. Plus, you can't dime your guitar when using the DSL15, because it get's kind of farty sounding, but nice when you back of the guitar volume. (This also depends on how hot your pickups are.)

David Corrales

Reaction score
I'd get the Egnater as well. I have a Night Train and haven't been able to love it yet. Planning to get a C5 but for an all rounder, Egnater for sure.

james beam

Banned
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-os1rRLdKqc]Judge Fredd & the Carvin Vintage 16. - YouTube[/ame] not on your list , but the carvin has the best cleans ever , I have this amp , went through many amps in the last 2 years , the only other amp I would buy , would be a traynor .

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody! I was planning to use the VOX with this:

Vox V212NT 60 Watt 2x12" Guitar Speaker Cabinet | Sweetwater.com

But seems like the Egnater is going to win, still balancing pros and cons but this kind of help is what I wanted, thanks everybody!

Arturo
Yep, get the Egnater Rebel 1x12 cabinet with the Rebel 20 and you will be liking it a lot. The Rebel 1x12 has the Elite 80 speaker, which is has a great tone and holds nicely even when turned up. :thumb:

That V212NT just didn't do well for me with the NT, it just didn't sound that good. :hmm:

If you want a 2x12 for the Rebel 20, get this bad boy, it has the Elite 80 speakers as well.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TM212X/

tinman402

Reaction score
I have spent limited time playign them all at the music store. I didn't like the class 5.. Just seemed like a one trick pony to me, The Night train sounded thin at times, the Egnator just seemed to cover more bases..

Really depends on what you need.. Versatility or a specific sound? you may find the class 5 gets that specific sound you hear in your head. I got a buddy that has one and for what he is into it is awesome.

arturocivit

Reaction score
I have spent limited time playign them all at the music store. I didn't like the class 5.. Just seemed like a one trick pony to me, The Night train sounded thin at times, the Egnator just seemed to cover more bases..

Really depends on what you need.. Versatility or a specific sound? you may find the class 5 gets that specific sound you hear in your head. I got a buddy that has one and for what he is into it is awesome.

Well, I'm been playing a lot of ZZ Top and Gov't Mule lately, so, I'm not going to say I'm after that sound but its what I'm been playing.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
i like the class 5 the best of those three.

the night train i liked less the more i messed with it. the egnater and i didn't get along from the start.

ymmv

Zoshquin

Reaction score
when I was looking for an amp.. I've never tried the egnater because I never saw one(I live in Japan)
The Night train in my opinion lacks that "Voxy" sound. Maybe too Voxy? :hmm:
the Marshall class 5 is great. but too much for what I needed so I got an AC4TV8 instead.

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
Vox AC15c1...last amp you'll ever need. I've owned a plethora of amps from Fender, to Two Rock, to Dr Z, or Marshall and the Vox AC15 was the only amp I've ever been 100% happy with. In fact I sold it to get a Two Rock and wish I hadn't in the long haul.

mud guy

Reaction score
I have played the Vox and the Marshall, and chose a Traynor darkhorse at the time when I was looking for a small head. The Egnator looks good though. As you can see from my sig, I have a fondness for traynors (I really thought I would like the vox more though). Darkhorse runs about $500 new...they are on EBAY quite a bit and sound great, built tough, and look cool.

arturocivit

Reaction score
I have played the Vox and the Marshall, and chose a Traynor darkhorse at the time when I was looking for a small head. The Egnator looks good though. As you can see from my sig, I have a fondness for traynors (I really thought I would like the vox more though). Darkhorse runs about $500 new...they are on EBAY quite a bit and sound great, built tough, and look cool.

That one looks great, will check if there's any test video on youtube, what cabinet you recommend, I'm looking something small like the class 5 or the vox that fits the night train.

Thanks!

Arturo

mud guy

Reaction score
That one looks great, will check if there's any test video on youtube, what cabinet you recommend, I'm looking something small like the class 5 or the vox that fits the night train.

Thanks!

Arturo

Yes, and it sounds great too. More clean headroom on the USA setting than the vox and marshall. It will drive a one 16 ohm cab, a single 8 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs. I orignally had the 112 cab that traynor makes (DHX112 celestion greenback, 16 ohm) and it sounded great. I recently traded that cab for traynors 212 cab (DHX212 2 greenbacks). On both these cabs, you can switch from open to closed back. The 212 sounds fuller, of course, as one would expect. Guitar world did a good review yuo can find on youtube. Has a useable beadroom setting as well at less than 2 watts.

According to their website, traynor has a distrbutor in Caracas, Venezuela.

cheers
Cal

Latest Threads