Which new cab? Mesa?Orange?Other?

Ddavid

Reaction score
I bought an Orange Tiny Terror and need a cab. I've looked the Orange PPC112, a Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12, and a Legacy 2x12 cab. They are all in the same ballpark price wise (some new some used) and I've tried them all. Unfortunately it's hard to A/B them with a terror and I couldn't play loud enough to get a better sense of which cab sounds better.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions about these cabs with a smaller amp?

Reaction score
I think you hear crickets because the members here don't know what to tell you.
What cabinet to choose is subjective. I think you should start with a baseline. What kind of sound are you hoping to achieve? You ask which sounds better. Better than what?

Rhust

Reaction score
a cab is still wood and speakers... if they use quality of both, they will be pretty much the same... I want to say someone mentioned on here the PPC212 was pine and a Celestion V30... pretty good mats right there... I'd bet all of these cabs mentioned used good mats though...

they might have a different spacial characteristic, or better/worse insulation... both of these are subjective... I built mine and have no complaints, does that mean it's the best? not at all... it works for me, and sounds good though.

there's also avatar cabinets, they have a good reputation...

fwiw, for the same or less $ you might find a nice 4x12 cab on craigslist...

these are all just things to keep your mind open... in the end you'll take a leap of faith, you'll buy one and you'll be happy about how good it sounds.

Ddavid

Reaction score
Thanks, they all have Celestion V30's and sealed backs, with the Legacy having a 1/3 removable back. The Mesa and Legacy are both 2x12's with the Legacy having about 35% less internal volume.

I searched the Orange forum but thought I'd check here for less invested opinions.

qpHalcy0n

Reaction score
My personal recommendation with the voicing of that amp is to steer clear of the V30's. Some will disagree, but I believe these amps REALLY shine w/ a Greenback or G12H30 variety speaker. I have an AD15 which is somewhat similar in voicing and the V30's just didnt cut the mustard with me :\

You may be better off looking at a sealed back Avatar cab and have him put whatever speakers you want in there.

M Dub

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the Orange or Legacy but I had a 2x12 Mesa Boogie Rectifier cab and didn't really dig it. It was too boomy and didn't have the mid range punch that I'm used to from my Marshall cabs.

I was so surprised by what a difference dimensions and size made. I would definitely recommend trying it out or at least make sure they have a good return policy. I bought the Mesa from GC and returned after a few weeks within the 30 days because i wasnt digging it.

I still need a 2x12 or 1x12 big enough to fit a full size Marshall head so let us know how your search goes and what you decide on.

Ddavid

Reaction score
I was so surprised by what a difference dimensions and size made. I would definitely recommend trying it out or at least make sure they have a good return policy. I bought the Mesa from GC and returned after a few weeks within the 30 days because i wasnt digging it. .

I assumed internal volume plays a big roll in speaker performance and I thought others would have preferences about that, especially since all speakers are the same. I've tried all three but not side by side. I am not discerning enough to quantify the differences I may or may not have heard. (even though I played with a rosewood fingerboard on all tests! :thumb:)

M Dub

Reaction score
Apparently it does, it at least the difference seemed apparent to me.

Since you bought the Tiny Terror I'd say to go for that cab since that's a tone you clearly like and those will obviously work well together. Just take it home, crank it then if you don't like it take it back. =)

Latest Threads