Which MIJ have "beefy" necks?

GiddyHitch

Reaction score
Cool, if you have calipers, you can add the measurements to MIJ profile thread or post it in a review. The Momose look pretty similar to the Seventy Sevens but have a more classy looking headstock.
Will do, Phoenix.

kitmac50

Reaction score
Seventy Seven make beefy necks on their 335 style (Exrubato). I had one that I stupidly sold. They used to go for less than 100k but it seems rare to see one that cheap these days.
Not sure if I posted the thickness on here but it was definitely > 0.9
100k? Is that a mistake?

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, he means 100,000 yen, or around $950 US.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I love my Tokai 1981 LS-80. I have some modern Tokai LPs. They do have thiks necks also but there is something about my LS-80 1981 that seems a bit beefier than the modern ones to me.

Sequimite

Reaction score
I learned guitar on a '58 Gibson 335. A few years back I picked up an Epiphone Dot Deluxe because it had a similar fat neck. No idea how many are like that. This is the only one I've ever played.

currypowder

Reaction score
I realize the OP is discussing necks on singlecuts and 335s, but I thought I'd throw this into the mix for anyone interested.

My current obsessions are Momose 50s Teles and Strats. The 1-piece maple necks on these are to die for, beefy (around .94" at the nut moving to almost 1" at the 12th fret) with a nice soft V shape. I've played a lot of bolt-ons and, for me, these necks are near perfection. I only wish I had discovered them years ago. It doesn't hurt that the guitars themselves are handmade with outstanding quality and attention to detail.

GiddyHitch

Reaction score
I realize the OP is discussing necks on singlecuts and 335s, but I thought I'd throw this into the mix for anyone interested.

My current obsessions are Momose 50s Teles and Strats. The 1-piece maple necks on these are to die for, beefy (around .94" at the nut moving to almost 1" at the 12th fret) with a nice soft V shape. I've played a lot of bolt-ons and, for me, these necks are near perfection. I only wish I had discovered them years ago. It doesn't hurt that the guitars themselves are handmade with outstanding quality and attention to detail.
.94" at the nut??? You're an animal, currypowder. I have a .92" U-shape Tele neck and that's about my limit. Are the Momose 60s teles and strats any thinner? Whoever runs Momose must have huge mitts. I have a killer Moon strat with a one piece walnut body but a pencil thin neck with med-jumbo frets - such a shame.

currypowder

Reaction score
.94" at the nut??? You're an animal, currypowder. I have a .92" U-shape Tele neck and that's about my limit. Are the Momose 60s teles and strats any thinner? Whoever runs Momose must have huge mitts. I have a killer Moon strat with a one piece walnut body but a pencil thin neck with med-jumbo frets - such a shame.
You know, the soft V shape makes a real difference on how the neck feels to me. I've had U and C shaped necks with the same thickness that felt much bigger.

I do believe the 60s style Momose strats and teles have a thinner more traditional neck shape and size. But I've never played one.

NJDevil

Reaction score
You know, the soft V shape makes a real difference on how the neck feels to me. I've had U and C shaped necks with the same thickness that felt much bigger.

I do believe the 60s style Momose strats and teles have a thinner more traditional neck shape and size. But I've never played one.
Thanks for the input as I love my Strats and looking for a Tele. One "beef" (pun intended) I've had against my Strats is the narrow neck....especially at the nut. How are the Momose neck widths?

currypowder

Reaction score
Thanks for the input as I love my Strats and looking for a Tele. One "beef" (pun intended) I've had against my Strats is the narrow neck....especially at the nut. How are the Momose neck widths?
The Sonix strat and Momose tele that I have are both just a hair wider than 1 5/8"

NJDevil

Reaction score
My Tokai LS-135 has a neck certainly on the beefier side. I have heard that this model was made with the same specs as a '58 LP. I would say that it is slightly less beefy than my '14 LP Traditional which is .90" thick at the 1st fret and 1.00" at the12th.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an LS100 Reborn from 79 and it is nice and beefy, a tad beefier than my LS150 from 2005 but they feel very similar to each other except for the weight of the 79 is so noticeable playing in the sitting position that it makes me want to play the less hefty one. I think I will get some measurements and post them if anyone wants them. Lemme know if you want them ;) It is allot of work to get this accomplished...... :rofl:

JrPV

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Tokai LS198 and it's neck is very beefy. I'll take measurements when I change out the strings and let you know.

GiddyHitch

Reaction score
Seems like you guys are making a strong case to add modern Tokai LS/HLS as a group to the list. Nice.

luis

Reaction score
HLS necks are similar wide then LS but thinner in deep, transitional 1980

Pooch

Reaction score
2018 Tokai LC136 is pretty beefy. I’ve heard it described as a slim 58. Definitely feels fatter than my 98 Fujigen Epi Custom, which itself is by no means skinny.

I’m sure I posted up the dimensions of both (measured with my digi callipers) around a year ago, but can’t find the post!

Latest Threads