Which Marshall in a box type of pedal are you guys loving with your LP's?

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Wampler Plexi Drive, before I sold it and others after going Kemper and Axe FX.
Whoa....another Kemperite lol. Lots of buzz 'bout the Kemper product. Everything I've heard on line sounds excellent. Hook it up to 4 x 12 and you're rocking !!
Had the Wampler Plexi Drive but turned it back and got the Marvel FX. That one does it for me.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had an MI Audio Crunch Box, Xotic BB Preamp, and a Weehbo JCMDrive.
Easiest and most fun was easily the Crunch Box. Best overall quality sounds I would have to give to the JCM.
I loved all three though. Now my main amp is aMarshall so I am all set haha!!
Still would love to try the Skreddy Major though. Somebody here buy one and tell us about it please haha!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Which Marshall do you have ?
I have the DSL40 and run my Marvel FX thru it with very satisfying results. My BB is in transit.
BP

Its Luke

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge pedal guy but i do have an Xotic SL Drive creates some great Plexi tones, i can vouch for that.

Would like to try a Friedman BE OD, as i have heard GREAT things about this pedal.

I personally prefer to get my gain or distortion from the amp whenever possible. However when using a smaller combo amp and needing those tones at lower volume they can be great as well.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
You mean you have the opportunity to play at volume, which provides the gain/distortion?
Which amp are you playing thru?
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I had an MI Audio Crunch Box, Xotic BB Preamp, and a Weehbo JCMDrive.
Easiest and most fun was easily the Crunch Box. Best overall quality sounds I would have to give to the JCM.
I loved all three though. Now my main amp is aMarshall so I am all set haha!!
Still would love to try the Skreddy Major though. Somebody here buy one and tell us about it please haha!
The demo on the Skreddy site didn't have any Marshall thump !

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes. Didn't hear any Marshall thump. Did you like the sound on that demo?
I liked it a lot! He starts out with the red stray and I liked that but the show to me was like woah! He does another one focusing on VH tones that I liked too.
There's another Skreddy demo where all you see is the pedal on a pair of jeans and it's awful

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
If you have a Les Paul and an amp you don' t need a pedal..
To each their own. I personally run Blackface Fenders set the cleanest I can and I like using pedals for the gain sound, turning it into a Marshall. It's just to rebel against those that insist on guitar > cord > amp or in this case Les Paul > cord > Marshall. :D

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
To each their own. I personally run Blackface Fenders set the cleanest I can and I like using pedals for the gain sound, turning it into a Marshall. It's just to rebel against those that insist on guitar > cord > amp or in this case Les Paul > cord > Marshall. :D
Ha, I'll go you one better man - I use MIAB pedals WITH MY MARSHALLS! Since I don't have one that sounds like a Plexi, I run the SL Drive into one of the clean channels and presto!

alnico59

Reaction score
Ha, I'll go you one better man - I use MIAB pedals WITH MY MARSHALLS! Since I don't have one that sounds like a Plexi, I run the SL Drive into one of the clean channels and presto!
The DR JCM 900 and Artist from the 80's does that very well.

pillbug

Reaction score
I like Kelley 1962 for '60s Marshall
Zvex Box of Rock for '70s
And eHx The Glove for '80s

Zepp76

Reaction score
The Xotic SL Drive is good, I also have the Bogner La Grange which is superb, it has low, medium and high settings allowing you to get all kinds of Marshall goodness. Mind you neither beats my JTM45 pushed to the max!

kiko

Reaction score
I have the Boss Power stack into a clean ss amp that does the marshall thing nicely. For my Marshall TSL I prefer to plug in straight.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
If you have a Les Paul and an amp you don' t need a pedal..
It annoys the crap out of me whenever anyone says anything like that. If you have a way to get my stock '66 Fender Champ to sound like a Marshall without a pedal (is it "all in the fingers?"), please let me know how you do it.

Frogfur

Reaction score
I'm with keef, I come a time when you didn't have pedals. What you had were good size, to big amps that you actually turned up to get that brown sound.

What was done with your twin reverb in your bedroom was just loud enough to match your record player so you could learn, and practice what you were going to play at full volume with the band.

Back then, the smallest amp we had in the front line was a twin. The lead guitar ran thru a dual showman..what they were made for.

Today, all you young players want these little Wennie amps so you can pretend in the bedroom your some kind of Pete Towndsend.
I don't do that personally. If you want to, that's fine. But there is a difference.

No offense meant, but bedroom players, and modelers and all are for those that either live in apartments, or don't gig. I know they can be used live, you don't need to explain that.

The fact is, guitars and large amps take a degree of skill in a band to regulate, and balance sound from one band member to the next.

It's what separates the men from the boys.
The bedroom wanna be from the more professional, or semi-pro types gigging on a regular basis. I couldn't ever see jimi using a modeler. He'd still be using a "old fashioned" amp. Perhaps smaller, but no matter, whatever it was, would become the new rage.

You keep your cute little pedals..
I'll use what I have always used. A guitar and amp. If I need burn, then we turn it up. If you have concerns about your hearing then maybe you should take up sports or something.

Once again, no offense meant, just the way I see it. It's all ok. We're all in this together.

sonar

Reaction score
I played non-master Super Leads and Twin Reverbs for a number of years. There's no particular skill needed to match a couple half stacks to an Ampeg SVT and a loud drummer. They all kind of even out.

To each their own. Jimmy Page recorded the first LZ record on a "Weenie" Supro. Mr. Brown Sound was a walking advertisement for those "cute little..." MXR boxes back in the day.

I get it. A MIAB is very much a misnomer in many cases. The only thing that sounds like a real Marshall is a real Marshall. But back to reality. MIAB's offer overdrive sounds at reasonable volume levels. Small rooms can now afford inexpensive PA's that sound good. Less people call the cops because of noise complaints. And the world is a better place for it.

Like it or not the days of the small club tolerating an unknown band walking into the room with a backline of Marshall half stacks has passed. Today's guitarist needs to be more portable, versatile and better at their craft than we had to 20-30 years ago. Things change. Adapt or die.

No offense meant.

renoman_89502

Reaction score
I'm with keef, I come a time when you didn't have pedals. What you had were good size, to big amps that you actually turned up to get that brown sound.

What was done with your twin reverb in your bedroom was just loud enough to match your record player so you could learn, and practice what you were going to play at full volume with the band.

Back then, the smallest amp we had in the front line was a twin. The lead guitar ran thru a dual showman..what they were made for.

Today, all you young players want these little Wennie amps so you can pretend in the bedroom your some kind of Pete Towndsend.
I don't do that personally. If you want to, that's fine. But there is a difference.

No offense meant, but bedroom players, and modelers and all are for those that either live in apartments, or don't gig. I know they can be used live, you don't need to explain that.

The fact is, guitars and large amps take a degree of skill in a band to regulate, and balance sound from one band member to the next.

It's what separates the men from the boys.
The bedroom wanna be from the more professional, or semi-pro types gigging on a regular basis. I couldn't ever see jimi using a modeler. He'd still be using a "old fashioned" amp. Perhaps smaller, but no matter, whatever it was, would become the new rage.

You keep your cute little pedals..
I'll use what I have always used. A guitar and amp. If I need burn, then we turn it up. If you have concerns about your hearing then maybe you should take up sports or something.

Once again, no offense meant, just the way I see it. It's all ok. We're all in this together.
Your narrow mindlessness comes across as a poor attempt to pump up your pathetic ego ! How the hec do you know what Jimi would be using if he were still alive ? Jimi loved trying the latest new guitar gear and pedals. You do NOT come from a time where players only plug straight in to large amperage amps with no cute little pedals. That is what you chose to do ! I'm guessing some one in early in your life convinced you that it was the manly thing to do. Here is an example in case you need one .....WE all know that Jimmy Page used small watt Supro and Vox amps in the studio....is he less of a player than you ....probably not. A smart guitar play will use what he needs to get the job done , and not limit himself to one thing .... No offense but expand your mind bro. We are all in this together.

Latest Threads