Which Marshall in a Box Pedal?

LP1865

Reaction score
Hey,
i'm thinking of building a Marshall in a Box pedal from a kit. Which one do you think would be great for playing anything from ACDC to Metallica?
1.) Marshall Guv'nor
2.) Hao Rusty Driver
3.) Lovepedal Purple Plexi
4.) Lovepedal Super Lead
5.) JHS Angry Charlie V3
6.) MI Audio Crunchbox
7.) BB Preamp

Wanting to hear your thoughts. I have never had the opportunity to play any of them.

LP1865

Reaction score
You want the Runoffgroove Thunderbird:

and PCB here:

seems kinda complicated as I have never built a pedal before. the others appear far easier to build. but thanks for the suggestion

AJK1

Reaction score
Friedman Dirty Shirley or Friedman Smallbox
I own both pedals and nothing comes close

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems kinda complicated as I have never built a pedal before. the others appear far easier to build. but thanks for the suggestion
Depends on how bad you want that sound, in a box that is.

None of the pedals you listed are ones I would recommend if you've never built a pedal before. With that said, they are not all that terribly complicated relative to the Thunderbird.

However, they are all simply distortion pedals with different voicing. The RoG Thunderbird is a literal Marshall Superlead emulation. Also, maybe look into some of the Catalinbread "Amp-in-a-box" interpretations over the ones you listed.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Also, maybe look into some of the Catalinbread "Amp-in-a-box" interpretations over the ones you listed.
Good advice, imo. When I was looking for MIAB type pedals and watching a bunch of YT reviews, here's what I went with and couldn't be happier. Even has the Super Lead / Super Bass (internal) switch... all & all just a great pedal. Not counting a Ditto, it's the only pedal I own.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice, imo. When I was looking for MIAB type pedals and watching a bunch of YT reviews, here's what I went with and couldn't be happier. Even has the Super Lead / Super Bass (internal) switch... all & all just a great pedal. Not counting a Ditto, it's the only pedal I own.

mdubya

Reaction score
For straight tones, I strongly do not like MIAB pedals.

That said, my Zvex Distortron with my Maestro MFZ-1 or my Fuzz Face in front of it into a lowly little MIC Champion 600 was freaking amazing. Like better than the real thing, amazing. The combo sounded like the best JTM 45 pushed by a fuzz, about to melt down, imaginable.

If your idea of "Marshall" tone is shitty tone, no worries. But IMHO, you won't get straight classic Marshall tone from a pedal. Unless you use it as I described above.

I also have a Tech 21 British pedal. Into an amp, it sounds awful. Into a powered monitor with speaker sim (mine is built in, always on) it sounds damn good. I have recorded direct with it and had several people want to know how I got that tone. The tone was a fairly "brown" sweet JTM 45 rhythm tone. I still use that pedal occasionally. It is good enough, I would consider a Fly Rig into a powered monitor for a primary set up.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your idea of "Marshall" tone is shitty tone, no worries. But IMHO, you won't get straight classic Marshall tone from a pedal.
This is an important distinction. "Marshall" is a broad term. Many of the MIAB pedals that are just voiced distortions aim to capture that modified 80s Marshall tone.

You want a pretty convincing Late 70s/Early 80s Marshall tone? Grab a $50 Marshall MS2, modify the headphone jack to allow full power when a jack is inserted halfway and run it through a big speaker.

I'll post a clip later of mine.

mdubya

Reaction score
This is an important distinction. "Marshall" is a broad term. Many of the MIAB pedals that are just voiced distortions aim to capture that modified 80s Marshall tone.

You want a pretty convincing Late 70s/Early 80s Marshall tone? Grab a $50 Marshall MS2, modify the headphone jack to allow full power when a jack is inserted halfway and run it through a big speaker.

I'll post a clip later of mine.
I thought a DS-1 into a clean Valve Junior was pretty OK for living room volume. :thumb:

I a/b quite a few fuzz and MIAB pedals with a silver face Champ and a Class 5 and a Vox AC-4.

The VJ/DS-1 won every time. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Free, ZZ Top type tones.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
For straight tones, I strongly do not like MIAB pedals.

That said, my Zvex Distortron with my Maestro MFZ-1 or my Fuzz Face in front of it into a lowly little MIC Champion 600 was freaking amazing. Like better than the real thing, amazing. The combo sounded like the best JTM 45 pushed by a fuzz, about to melt down, imaginable.

If your idea of "Marshall" tone is shitty tone, no worries. But IMHO, you won't get straight classic Marshall tone from a pedal. Unless you use it as I described above.

I also have a Tech 21 British pedal. Into an amp, it sounds awful. Into a powered monitor with speaker sim (mine is built in, always on) it sounds damn good. I have recorded direct with it and had several people want to know how I got that tone. The tone was a fairly "brown" sweet JTM 45 rhythm tone. I still use that pedal occasionally. It is good enough, I would consider a Fly Rig into a powered monitor for a primary set up.
I love my Friedman BE-OD. It turns my 'little' 15W tube amps into fire-breathing monsters. FWIW, to me, it sounds so much better than the Marshall DSL1 head that I tried to love.

LP1865

Reaction score
None of the pedals you listed are ones I would recommend if you've never built a pedal before. With that said, they are not all that terribly complicated relative to the Thunderbird.
I amp planning to build a Naga Viper Clone before any of these
Depends on how bad you want that sound, in a box that is.
Pretty bad. i want to upgrade from the ME-70 models and get a real board. With the ME-70, i cannot put modulations in the loop
Did not know that. Should have known that. The Governor seems like a good idea.

This is a Catalinbread Clone:- https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/dls
And this is a Governor Clone:- https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/guv-nor

No love for the Lovepedals tho? (pun intended)

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How loud do you need this?

I'm currently planning on cloning the power section of the Marshall MS2 battery amp doubling the output to 1.6 watts and attaching a JTM45 type preamp to it.

Latest Threads