Which Limiter ?- Caili76/Mayer 615 Smooth/Empress Other?

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
This isn't a Favorites contest. It will also be mainly for Guitar.

Which do you feel offers the best design, function, ect ?

Cali/Mayer/Other?

The 615 is designed after the RM58, which the Stereo Version, was/is used in Electric Ladyland Studios, and many others.

Both have Class A Discreet Signal Path

Mayer has No Transformer

Cali76 Does have Trans. More Noise ???

Mayer is Both Instrument/Line Level

Mayer runs on 48 Volts.

Cali 18v

Mayer is the only 1 Ive seen that runs on a full 48 Volts.

Except its big brother the RM58. Id get it, but its $1000. So for now out of the question.

Cali has Mix.

Mayer None

Cali DI- Yes.

Mayer No

Mayer has 2 Buffered Out jacks, and can be SPLIT and used on 2 different amps. Also has a 0 loss splitter. Also has 1 x Hardwired Out jack.

Did I mention it Operates on 48 Volts ??

This is 1 of the Main Things I'm looking at.

It seems the 2 Mayers are the only Instrument Friendly Limiters/Compressors that operate on 48v ??? And also run both Line Level/Instrument Level.

Mayer 10hz-100,000khz. x 95db s/n.

Cali ??? Others ???

Also again, not really trying to say 1 s better that the other, or a favorites contest.

I'm also wondering what the Cali and the Mayer would sound like together ?

Also the Empress Tube Compressor.

Run a Tube Compressor, into the Mayer ? Cali ?

I know it wasn't uncommon to run a Tube Compressor, into a Solid State Compressor, to clean up Tube Artifacts.

ITs ALL GOOD.

But IMHO the Mayer looks Very, Very Interesting.

whoosh

Reaction score
Wouldn't 48 volt be a hazzle to run on your pedalboard? I use CIOKS powersupply on mine, and it'll do 15 volt max.

I'd love to have a great stompbox compressor that'll run nice in the fx loop (so after the pre-amp). My Dynacomp sounds god awfull that way, my studio compressor works fine but obviously wont fit on my board ;)

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
It has its own power supply, and has to be plugged into a normal type 120v input.

whoosh

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. And that is what would hold me back. Right now I run all my pedals from the CIOKS, so just a single powercable to run.

Interesting idea to run a compressor into a limiter. Something I do as-a-matter-of-fact on recorded guitar tracks. Never occurred to me to do it on the pedalboard, but now I have to try :)

Latest Threads