Which Les Paul to buy?

Calliecal

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals!

I'm fairly new to guitar, so I don't know a huge deal about them! But I'm looking at getting an electric guitar toward the end of the year and really want a Les Paul! I've got my eye on two, just looking for some help on picking the right one for me!

The two I'm looking at are;

Les Paul Studio 2016 Traditional
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded T in Worn Brown | Andertons

Les Paul Special 2015
Gibson USA 2015 Les Paul Special Double Cut in Vintage Sunburst | Andertons

Any help anyone can give would be brilliant! Thank's a lot in advance!

Callum

iteched

Reaction score
My advice would be to audition several Les Pauls (all you can find in your price range).

Your investing a nice sum - take the time to make sure you LOVE the one you buy.

However, if you are a "new" player it will be hard for you to find "the one". It takes some time to learn what guitars you will like. Your playing style, hand size, etc all make a difference. Nearly every Les Paul (and other guitars) will feel different from others.

Bringing an experienced player along can help - but they may prefer a different "feel" than you. But they can point out issues that could cull the herd.

And - once you decide - make SURE it is setup properly. Some, but not all stores charge for this service. It is very important.

Good Luck!

EllenGtrGrl

Reaction score
Yup, try before you buy. I personally like Les Paul Specials (but not in the 2015 version - I don't like the G-Force tuning system, and I have concerns about the brass nut), but that may not be the case for you, after trying one. Ditto for the 2016 Studio Traditional. You might end up finding out that there are other Les Pauls you prefer over these two.

Coldacre

Reaction score
I've found that every Les Paul can be made to sound great with a proper setup. there is no mojo, no "this is the one". you don't need to play 36 Les Pauls to find "the one". this isn't speed dating.

find one with

a. a good colour
b. a good neck profile.

DONE.

tweak the rest yourself.

Calliecal

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone!

I'll head to the store and try out some Les Paul's and see which feels good to me! thanks a lot!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Fairly new to guitar, hey?

As you "develop", you will understand that your thread should have read:

Which Les Paul's to buy?
:naughty:

tzd

Reaction score
I can tell you what NOT to buy. Anything that says 2015 on it.

Xyrium

Reaction score
I'd get a used Studio, and if you like the feel, perhaps step up to something with binding. Traditionals are my favorite bang-for-the-buck LP.

Don't be confused by that listing for a Studio "Traditional". The Trads that folks usually refer to is the Traditional with binding, higher grade wood, etc. Found here: Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst | Andertons

Prometheus

Reaction score
I hope you are aware that those two are totally different animals
That Studio is loaded with humbuckers, which means they don't hum (esp under florescent lights) while Special that is loaded P90s most definitely WILL
Aside from that, sounds you will be getting from those pups will differ as well

Also, that special has an oddball control scheme compared to "standard" LP layout (2 vs standard 4 knobs), which will limit some of sound capabilities, and that funky killswitch action.

If you prefer P90s as some of us do (trust me, there are bunch of guys who swear by P90s, yours truly included) you may want to check out those below

Gibson 2016 Les Paul 60s Tribute T in Satin Vintage Sunburst | Andertons

Gibson 2016 Les Paul 60s Tribute T in Satin Honeyburst | Andertons

Latest Threads