Which Gibson/Epiphone

LedZepRulz

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I don't know why are u laughing:) because I am not from english speaking country and still learning.

Anyway, what guitar should be better for metal - Gibson lp Studio or Gibson lp Std double cut?

Get the studio, they're awesome for metal, in fact, they're awesome for anything. If I were lookin for a metal guitar, I'd buy a white or black studio, take off the pickguard, and load it with active emgs.

marcin0903

Reaction score
After all this histories with broken guitars after deliveries inside US, I decided to not buy guitar from US (because of its distance from PL). But I can get in Poland for about $650 Gibson Les Paul Special SL - what do you think about this guitar?

auction link - http://www.allegro.pl/item904055260.html (it is Polish auction service - don't worry about viruses :)) - I wanna be sure that this is original - can someone confrim that this is not fake gibson?

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I scored my last two Gibson LPs for less than $1300 each one is an 04 Manhattan Midnight LP Standard and the other an 01 LP Classic, there are good deals in the US if you look for them, Ebay is hit or miss mainly due to the scammers and fakes.

I know being from Poland kinda limits what you can find locally, but there are some good dealers in Europe that have some used gear out there.

I have 2 Gibsons, 1 Orville, and 5 Epis so I wouldn't put Epi off the list, just have to find a good one.

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Look, I'm going to be honest. Don't get mad at me, I'm not trying to be mean, this is my real attempt to help you out.

You obviously know very little, if anything, about guitars. I'm not saying that to make fun of you, that's just what it seems like. You aren't going to appreciate the subtle tone differences between the different pickup options, fretboard wood choices, bridge/tailpiece configurations, cutout options, or anything else that differs between the large price margins between various models of Les Pauls. And that's ok. Since this seems to be the case, it's probably a really bad idea to waste your money on a really expensive guitar that you won't notice being much better than one half the price, especially if you're just going to be cranking it through heavy distortion that will make any guitar sound pretty much the same.

I suggest getting a studio. It's slightly thinner than a Standard, and it's missing the binding around the body. Aside from that, it's as much a real Les Paul as any other. You can find a used Studio for cheaper than some Epiphone Les Pauls, and typically they will be better guitars (that statement can start a flame war.) Chances are that since you don't know much about the differences between guitars, you want a Les Paul for the iconic looks and classic sound, and you want a Gibson instead of a copy for the status that comes with having the name on the headstock. A studio will get you all of that. Great sound, great looks, real Gibson. All for half the price of a Standard. The pickups available on all the variations of studios are fine for metal, and you can always toss in active EMG pickups if you don't like the way it sounds stock.

I also want to clarify that SGs are great for metal. You mentioned something about their pickups not being good for metal, which is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know who told you that, but some LPs and SGs have had the same pickups installed as they roll out of the factory. The SG sounds different because it's a thin solid slab of mahogany moreso than because of pickup choice.

marcin0903

Reaction score
Ok so I will go for Studio if I will find it for a good prize, that if not what should I get SG special or Epi Custom. And btw. Things are as you said - I don't know much about guitars ;). Thanks for reply!

Xavier_32

Reaction score
An SG special or a Les Paul studio should both work out fine for you. Just buy the one that looks coolest to you since you won't be able to try them out first. The Epi custom is about the price, and some will argue that it's just as good, but for the same price would you rather have an Epiphone or a Gibson?

marcin0903

Reaction score
New Epi custom is $600, used gibs studio about $800 in Europe ;) - that's the difference

marcin0903

Reaction score
OK so now I can get BFG Black for about $900 and Gibson LP Special SL, for $900 too- guitar as I read is good, but I have some doubts that it will play some metal music :/.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a metal guitar:
Metal%20Guitar.jpg

marcin0903

Reaction score
I wish I have it :) - but taking it serious - is BFG good to play some metal?

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
I personally think the early 2000 to 2007 studio's were very well made and seemed to surpass the quality of the other models for some reason and are reasonably priced.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
OP, I really don't think you're looking for a Gibson (or an Epiphone) at all based on the discrepancy between your choices.

Check out these instead...

541177.jpg

670284.jpg

marcin0903

Reaction score
I will also check out Schecters, but to end this topic.

Gibson LP Studio or Gibson LP BFG?

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I will also check out Schecters, but to end this topic.

Gibson LP Studio or Gibson LP BFG?

Studio with a push/pull on the neck pickup (that way you could at least get a semblance of a BFG...)

And if there's a specific Studio.....

618224.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Electric Guitar Features:
•Body
•Body style: Les Paul carved top
•Top species: Maple top
•Back species: Mahogany
•Scale length: 24 - 3/4"
•Neck
•Neck wood: Mahogany
•Neck joint: Set
•Neck profile: '60s
•Nut: Corian
•Nut width: Standard Gibson: 1.695" ± .050"
•Headstock inlay: Gibson logo
•Silkscreen: Gibson logo + Les Paul model
•Truss rod: Gibson adjustable truss rod
•Truss rod cover: Bell-shaped cover, stamped "Deluxe"
•Fingerboard
•Fingerboard species: Rosewood
•Fingerboard radius: 12"
•Inlays: Figured acrylic trapezoid
•Frets: 22
•Hardware
•Plating finish: Chrome
•Tailpiece: Gibson stopbar
•Bridge: Gibson Tune-O-Matic
•Tuners: Grover
•Electronics
•Neck pickup: 490R
•Bridge pickup: Burstbucker Pro
•Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone with coil-splitting, 3-way toggle
•Control knobs: Black speed
•Control pocket cover: Black molded
•Special features: Quick-connect control pocket assembly
•Case
•Type: Gibson hardshell
•Case interior: White
•Case exterior: Black
•Silkscreen: Gibson USA logo

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Good to play metal? You have doubts that a certain guitar will be good for metal?

News flash: YOU'RE GOING TO BE SHOVING WHATEVER SOUND YOU HAVE THROUGH A WALL OF DISTORTION AND OVERDRIVE. Every guitar is going to sound relatively the same. There is no such thing as a guitar bad for metal. You could plug in a B.B King signature Lucille and get metal sounds out of it. Moreso, the BFG is a very metal guitar.

What exactly makes you think the BFG isn't good for metal? Maybe you should just go buy a pointy guitar at this point. BC Rich makes some ugly stuff you definitely won't be doubting is good for metal.

Latest Threads