Which Gibson/Epiphone

marcin0903

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going soon for new axe. It will be a Gibson or an Epiphone.
I looked on:
- Gibson SG Special Faded
- Gibson LP Standard Double Cut - what gives me double cut? only lower weight? - there is pretty big difference in prizes between normal std and std dc
- Gibson LP Studio - worth buying? Is it really good Gibs for good prize?
- Epiphone LP Custom/Std - is it shit or not, is it worth to buy it instead of those upper axes?

I ve got an amp and it's VOX AD100VT.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
inout.gif

JBranch

Reaction score
The good one is the one that sounds and plays best to you. If you can't tell any difference between your choices, then it doesn't really matter, does it? Just pick one at random.

marcin0903

Reaction score
Yes I heard it a lot of times but my example is different.
I'm from Poland, and there Gibson Studio costs about $1300 and nowhere in my town I can find it, only I can check out Epi LP Std/Custom - they sounds for me not bad - but I think others of guitars I listed could be better and I think that I will shoot and get someting from Ebay in US - and that's why I am writing.

Underliner6

Reaction score
Buy the Gibson LP Standard Double Cut. It will be way better than the studio or epiphone!:thumb:

JBranch

Reaction score
OK then:

- Gibson SG Special Faded
It's not a LP. Different sound from the rest of these. If you're into "that" sound, then go for the SG. Otherwise...

- Gibson LP Standard Double Cut - what gives me double cut? only lower weight? - there is pretty big difference in prizes between normal std and std dc
The Double Cut means that it is cut not just on the high E string side, but also on the low E string side, thus giving easier access to the higher frets. Do a google image search, you'll see what I mean.

- Gibson LP Studio - worth buying? Is it really good Gibs for good prize?
Studios are definitely worth buying. There are different models of studios and variations in them, from year to year, like the Vintage Mahogany, the GC Limited Edition Silverburst, etc etc. The main differences in the Studio are cosmetic. I've only played a couple of them, but they played and sounded just fine.

- Epiphone LP Custom/Std - is it shit or not, is it worth to buy it instead of those upper axes?
This question will get you different answers depending upon who you ask. I personally would have no problem having an Epiphone, if I found the right one. I've played quite a few in the past year. I played a Zakk Wylde signature model that was GREAT. I probably would have bought it except... I just couldn't get past the bullseye paint job. I like Zakk well enough I guess, but I'm not a big enough fan that I want my guitar to look exactly like his. I probably should have bought it and stripped it down. Since then, I've played several Epi LP Customs, they all FELT nice, had no problems with fit and finish. But their pickups did not sound good. If I had bought one, I would have immediately ripped out the stock pickups and upgraded.

But to go back to my point about trying them out... I understand you're in a position where it's hard for you to try before buying. But ANY make and model can and will have some guitars that just aren't that great. The trick is finding the good ones from among the bad ones.

Good luck in your quest.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
i am one of the resident Gibson Custom Shop snobs, but i have to admit i really like the Faded Studio models. of the handful i played, they all sounded great and a very nice feel. i like them a lot more than the "regular" studios.

marcin0903

Reaction score
Thanks a lot it helped me so much but still I have some question.
Sg I think is out of game because of its pick ups that are not good for playing metal.
Lets leave Epis alone for a while

And now, would you rather go for Gibs Studio or Standard DC. And what is the difference between std and std dc (excluding easier acces to higher frets) cause this prize difference is pretty big!

marcin0903

Reaction score
Hey, I don't know why are u laughing:) because I am not from english speaking country and still learning.

Anyway, what guitar should be better for metal - Gibson lp Studio or Gibson lp Std double cut?

marcin0903

Reaction score
Oh I say u are so clever and u think that you are there to help in fact most of u do NOTHING. I asked serious question and want serious answer...

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh I say u are so clever and u think that you are there to help in fact most of u do NOTHING. I asked serious question and want serious answer...

O I C. Sry.
It's ironic that you say you are not a native English-speaker, yet use common 'texting slang' that is not taught in English classes in non-English-speaking countries. Out of sincere curiosity, how did you learn the slang?

marcin0903

Reaction score
It's nice that you though/think that I am from English speaking country - no I'm not. I know English slang from movies, games, boards, etc... :D

So now someone can answer on my question :).

Latest Threads