Which Fender guitar do you think compliments a Les Paul the best?

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Fender style guitars are super versatile so I think it depends on the players and what sound you're going for.

Lynyrd Skynrd made Strats and Les Pauls work.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Something with single coils. If you find the right Strat (which took me a while as well), that's a great combination. I also think P-90s are fantastic.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Once thing I did enjoy with both of the Strats I had was the radius. 9.5 is the modern radius for a lot of Fenders. That being said maybe I should look at one with more vintage specs. The American original 60’s Stratocaster has caught my interest.
There are "Vintage" types with the 9,5 radius.
The "Eric Johnson" is one that has everything and if I remember correctly the flatter 12 radius!
It's a little high priced though!
Although I love my RI's, the 7.5 radius is something to get used to.
Bending up the neck kind of fades sustain a bit.
But it is how it was at the time.
The "Bell Bottom Blues" solo can be replicated perfectly with that "sustain fade".
I love it.
I'd love to own an "Eric Johnson" as well but I can't really justify buying another guitar.
Ah... kids! Them damn kids" needs take up all my money!

bum

Reaction score
In our band I play a 335 and the other guy a Strat, it's a great combination as you tend not to step on each others toes, frequency wise - It keeps things tidy

rich85

Reaction score
The Fender Pro 2 Tele is worth a look. It sounds quite Strat like on the neck pickup and usual Tele sound on the bridge.

mbm1972

Reaction score
I'd have to add a vote for the Tele. I, too, have been looking for a single coiled thinline Tele for some time. The goal being to compliment, with a different feel and sound, what I get from my LP. I started off life with a MIJ early/mid 80's Strat - my first electric - but never really liked it. Whereas I bonded with my LP the moment I picked it up 9though I didn't like the color at first - that grew on me later). Unlike Strats, I have loved nearly every Tele I have played. For what it's worth, I think the Tele is the best compliment for a Les Paul.

The only other options I have seriously considered over the years (to augment my LP, which I would never give up) are (a) some form of a mid- to full-sized jazz box, either Gibson or Gretsch, and (b) a 6-string Rickenbacker. But usually I'm torn between the Tele and the Jazz box.

Also, and this is all obviously purely subjective on my part, I find I like the looks of the Teles way more than the look of the Strats, in addition to the sound and feel. If you're happy with your Tele, don't second guess yourself - just enjoy the great range of sounds you have at your disposal - it's a fantastic pairing.

Cheers!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
A Tele with a pine body works the best. Just ask any of the burst era players.... !! Ok I'm just biased for obvious reasons.

1623760398345.png

Brewmaster

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Nash Tele that he built for me in his early days. Korina body.
I changed out the neck pickup for a P90 somebody local made for me and have never looked back.
A great compliment for my LP.

JonnySledge

Reaction score
Assuming traditional single coil Teles and Strats, I personally think a Tele gets along really well with a Les Paul in a two-guitar band. I also think a Tele gets along well with a Strat in a two guitar band. However, Les Pauls and Strats have to choose their parts and tones more carefully to blend well together.

Proliferant

Reaction score
As someone who's been asking the same question for a few years, I actually bought a Strat, didn't get on with it tonally and sold it, within the last two years. More recently I've been looking at Teles and clicked much more with them. I tried a few and will probably go for a Vintera 50s Modified one when it's time to buy...

You should try as many as possible first, of course!

Latest Threads