Which Fender guitar do you think compliments a Les Paul the best?

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:hmm:

Well, consider this:

In the recording by The Outlaws of "Green Grass and High Tides", Hughie Thomasson is playing a Stratocaster, and in stereo his guitar will be on the left side of the recording.

Meanwhile, Billy Jones was playing a Gibson Les Paul, which can be heard on the right channel. Jones switched from playing clean to using drive, and you can hear him swapping back and forth at various intervals.

Then too, there are various live recordings of the same song by the same group out there... and as always, The Outlaws sound featured one Fender Stratocaster with one Gibson Les Paul.

This recording is from '82. So it's Hughie Thomasson with his Strat again, and the guy with the Alpine White Les Paul is Freddie Salem. And so here, you can get an idea of what the two guitars sing like together in a live setting.

--R

msalama

Reaction score
Thanks LPMAN91, will keep all that in mind. Will probably opt for a used MIA axe if the price is reasonable though.

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Fender style guitars are super versatile so I think it depends on the players and what sound you're going for.

Lynyrd Skynrd made Strats and Les Pauls work.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Something with single coils. If you find the right Strat (which took me a while as well), that's a great combination. I also think P-90s are fantastic.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Once thing I did enjoy with both of the Strats I had was the radius. 9.5 is the modern radius for a lot of Fenders. That being said maybe I should look at one with more vintage specs. The American original 60’s Stratocaster has caught my interest.
There are "Vintage" types with the 9,5 radius.
The "Eric Johnson" is one that has everything and if I remember correctly the flatter 12 radius!
It's a little high priced though!
Although I love my RI's, the 7.5 radius is something to get used to.
Bending up the neck kind of fades sustain a bit.
But it is how it was at the time.
The "Bell Bottom Blues" solo can be replicated perfectly with that "sustain fade".
I love it.
I'd love to own an "Eric Johnson" as well but I can't really justify buying another guitar.
Ah... kids! Them damn kids" needs take up all my money!

Gary

Reaction score
Being as my LP has a pair of P90 single coil pickups, I vote Tele.

bum

Reaction score
In our band I play a 335 and the other guy a Strat, it's a great combination as you tend not to step on each others toes, frequency wise - It keeps things tidy

Latest Threads