Which Fender guitar do you think compliments a Les Paul the best?

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I’ve owned my Gibson Les Paul over 4 years now and it’s a keeper. I’ve owned and played other guitars along the way including 3 Fenders. A 2013 American Deluxe Stratocaster, a 2019 American professional Stratocaster HSS, and currently own a 2007 Highway One Telecaster. To my ears the Tele has been the one that matches nicely with it. The two Strats were nice but, either I didn’t click with them or there was something not quite right about them. Anyway what Fender guitar do you think goes well with a Les Paul?
Cheers

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I always thought a Telecaster could cover some Les Paul territory (Jimmy Page) and also cover some Stratocaster sounds. Still, I prefer to have at least one of each guitar.
The Telecaster definitely sounds thicker than a Strat especially with regards to the bridge pickup. Rolling off the tone knob a bit can get you close to a humbucker sound with the right pickup. I’ve got Custom shop Texas Specials in my Highway One. They’ve given me good results so far.

LPMAN91

Reaction score
When you say “matches”...... what’s the goal? Backup guitar for gigs?

If you didn’t get on well with a couple of decent Strats.... why are you still looking at Fenders?
I feel like I haven’t found the Stratocaster for me or I may just like the Telecaster more. When I say matches I mean in terms of tonality, feel, playability, etc. and yes to the backup guitar question.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Depends what kind of complimentary sound you mean.

I owned a Jazzmaster years ago and it sounded similar to my LPs. I thought it recorded well with them too.

Reactions: Who

LPMAN91

Reaction score
Depends what kind of complimentary sound you mean.

I owned a Jazzmaster years ago and it sounded similar to my LPs. I thought it recorded well with them too.
I was thinking in terms of complimentary sounds in the realm of a blues-rock or hard rock mix. Also I haven’t played too many Jazzmasters but wouldn’t giving one a go the next time I go to my local Guitar Center.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I was thinking in terms of complimentary sounds in the realm of a blues-rock or hard rock mix. Also I haven’t played too many Jazzmasters but wouldn’t giving one a go the next time I go to my local Guitar Center.
Are you looking for a sound that occupies a different space in a mix?

msalama

Reaction score
To my ears the Tele has been the one that matches nicely with it.
This absolutely! And I'm actually looking for a reasonably priced Telecaster myself ATM, since I think Lesters and Tellys complement each other so nicely. Been eyeballing the Squier Classic Vibe series lately, yet am not yet sure if I should rather get a used Fender instead. Decisions, decisions...

LPMAN91

Reaction score
This absolutely! And I'm actually looking for a reasonably priced Telecaster myself ATM, since I think Lesters and Tellys complement each other so nicely. Been eyeballing the Squier Classic Vibe series lately, yet am not yet sure if I should rather get a used Fender instead. Decisions, decisions...
Classic Vibes are great guitars. If you’re wanting an actual Fender check out the player series if you’re looking at MIM. If you’re looking for a USA Tele. A used standard, highway one, or American special are excellent choices as well.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I feel like I haven’t found the Stratocaster for me or I may just like the Telecaster more. When I say matches I mean in terms of tonality, feel, playability, etc. and yes to the backup guitar question.
When I was looking for a Strat (to play Hendrix, Stones and shit) I went around town
trying Strats and found myself dumbfounded. These guitars didn't sound like Strats to me.
Got a catalog form some store and read it through!
Found out I was more of a "Vintage" type Strat.
Started to look for a '57RI, it took some time but found one that I bought.
Soon after got a used '62RI.
Never looked back.

Since your experience with Strats has been with modern bridges and humbucker bridge pups,
I suggest you try the vintage type bridge and Vintage type pups.
Look for models with the right radius for you, 7.5 or flatter. 21 frets.
See if it speaks to you.
:thumb:

Last edited:

LPMAN91

Reaction score
When I was looking for a Strat (to play Hendrix, Stones and shit) I went around town
trying Strats and found myself dumbfounded. These guitars didn't sound like Strats to me.
Got a catalog form some store and read it through!
Found out I was more of a "Vintage" type Strat.
Started to look for a '57RI, it took some time but found one that I bought.
Soon after got a used '62RI.
Never looked back.

Since your experience with Strats has been with modern bridges and humbucker bridge pups,
I suggest you try the vintage type bridge and Vintage type pups.
Look for models with the right radius for you, 7.5 or flatter. 21 frets.
See if it speaks to you.
:thumb:
Once thing I did enjoy with both of the Strats I had was the radius. 9.5 is the modern radius for a lot of Fenders. That being said maybe I should look at one with more vintage specs. The American original 60’s Stratocaster has caught my interest.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
My elderly neighbor let me borrow his 1964 strat and it made me understand what strats were all about. For the next two years I searched for a strat with a similar feel and sound without spending $20,000. American strats didn't cut it. I ended up getting a lightly used 2008 custom shop classic strat for $2k and it is a great way to take a break from playing my les pauls. So, I'd suggest something from the custom shop with classic appointments

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:hmm:

Well, consider this:

In the recording by The Outlaws of "Green Grass and High Tides", Hughie Thomasson is playing a Stratocaster, and in stereo his guitar will be on the left side of the recording.

Meanwhile, Billy Jones was playing a Gibson Les Paul, which can be heard on the right channel. Jones switched from playing clean to using drive, and you can hear him swapping back and forth at various intervals.

Then too, there are various live recordings of the same song by the same group out there... and as always, The Outlaws sound featured one Fender Stratocaster with one Gibson Les Paul.

This recording is from '82. So it's Hughie Thomasson with his Strat again, and the guy with the Alpine White Les Paul is Freddie Salem. And so here, you can get an idea of what the two guitars sing like together in a live setting.

--R

msalama

Reaction score
Thanks LPMAN91, will keep all that in mind. Will probably opt for a used MIA axe if the price is reasonable though.

Latest Threads