Which do you prefer for blues

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love both your guitars (a Les Paul Recording has been on my "someday" list since they were new) - but that's a 355 Mr. King is playing there; note the block inlays. 345s have split parallelograms.

thank u…all these years I thought it was an early 345…this thread taught me about the 355…
im saving for a black one….look for ngd june-December 2022 :h5:

-chris

Fillmore

Reaction score
Check out Warren Haynes....he plays both....and kills it. So does Joe Bonamassa. I've got to say both!

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
And don't go thinkin that a 335 is just for blues.

View attachment 572582
See also Weir, Bob; Lee, Alvin; Clapton, Eric (back when he was a great rock player rather than a mediocre blues player); Carlton, Larry; Rittenouer, Lee; Wilson, Carl; Grohl, Dave; Frampton, Peter; Berry, Chuck; Melton, Barry; Lopez, Trinidad...........the list of both pickers & genres goes on and on. Decades ago I read an interview with a Nashville studio cat who said that most of what you hear on country records (this is back when they still made country records....) that you assume is a Tele is actually a 335; said most of them use a 335, because of it's versatility.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Warren Haynes....he plays both....and kills it. So does Joe Bonamassa. I've got to say both!

SOme years back, saw a show where he played his old ass red one (Not the Gib reissue).... One of the most unique tones I've heard with him playing that guitar... If any guitar was qualified to use the adjective "Buttery" it was that guitar...

Slick Willy

Reaction score
When I get the blues. I usually prefer whiskey. Mostly red whiskey.

Steven

Reaction score
Would you say that the 335 has a broader sonic palate

Yes, You nailed it. While they are both fantastic guitars, (I own both), I believe the 335 is the most versatile guitar that exists assuming the sample is classic guitars. How ever, as most of us veteran guitarists know, any good standard guitar can tastefully be made to play the blues. It's mostly the guitarist that styles the blues

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
wait if you can afford a 335, do you really have the blues? maybe you're just bummed out they ran out of Corvettes...

PAPADON

Reaction score
Yamaha SA2200
1637381913911.png

Reactions: ehb

mdubya

Reaction score
The guy who invented rock n roll sure spent a lot of time playing 3X5 guitars, so definitely not just for blues.

CB%2B3.jpg

This guy, too. :naughty: Who is also one of my favorite blues players.

angus-young-01.jpg

787768d26aac3ed9ce7272bd7bfc4d62.jpg

18687-f7ae93043fdfd5f5a1e13985a8d18f74.jpg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
See also Weir, Bob; Lee, Alvin; Clapton, Eric (back when he was a great rock player rather than a mediocre blues player); Carlton, Larry; Rittenouer, Lee; Wilson, Carl; Grohl, Dave; Frampton, Peter; Berry, Chuck; Melton, Barry; Lopez, Trinidad...........the list of both pickers & genres goes on and on. Decades ago I read an interview with a Nashville studio cat who said that most of what you hear on country records (this is back when they still made country records....) that you assume is a Tele is actually a 335; said most of them use a 335, because of it's versatility.

I remember thinking Lionel Ritchie’s guitarist played a mean, cherry 335…now I see the small block inlays like my lp-recording and little headstock inlay…
He also did all of the commodores/rogers sessions
And Kenny was perfect live..dude could slay(singing wise)
Not a bad standup bassist either

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say that the answer lies in your hands and technique more than the instrument.

Interesting parallel for fighter pilots:
“Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.”
-- Adolf Galland

dro

Reaction score
Have wanted to own a 335 since I first saw Patrick Simmons playing one with the Doobies.
Every time I went to buy one. I couldn't get on with the tone.
Ended up buying another Les Paul.
Borrowed an original 1963 335 to do some recording tracks.
After doing multiple runs on the 335.
Ended up doing the track on a Les Paul.
Maybe a 335 is just not for me.

macdog

Reaction score
Quite a different feel to a Les Paul. Mine is as hot as hell - loud, loud, loud. My most fierce guitar.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Exactly, what a performance.
Calling Clapton a mediocre Blues guitarist is blasphemy.

Even if you listen to Bluebreakers, Cream and Derek albums, if you don’t hear Freddie King or great blues in Clapton’s playing then you’re a lost cause.

To the OP, I much prefer 335 types.
The tone is a touch sweeter, and the upper frets very accessible.

Reactions: HRC

angeldeville

Reaction score
wait if you can afford a 335, do you really have the blues? maybe you're just bummed out they ran out of Corvettes...

Corvettes are for peasants….

blues gets played by whatever is hanging on the wall at the time… Danelectro, Gibson, Gretsch, Epiphone, 7ender, Charvel, Jackson, whatever…

Latest Threads