Which one?

• A

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

5F6-A

Reaction score
A clip alternating amps using an A/B switch... please excuse the sloppy playing and quick room recording. Also can you guess amp make(s)?

Amp A? (first one you can hear)
Amp B? (second one)

https://soundcloud.com/5f6-a/twins

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Not sure of the makes, but I'd say I like the first one better, but I tend to like a bit of brightness. Is one of them the Marshall keyboard amp?

5F6-A

Reaction score
Yes.... :). Well, kind of....

5F6-A

Reaction score
Not that many votes but for those who have been reading, I’m going to reveal now what the amps were.

AMP A (which seems most people’s favourite) is a 1987 Marshall Keyboard 20 solid-state combo albeit I used with a Joyo VOX AC30 type preamp pedal in front. As a guitar amp, the Keyboard 20 is just too clean and dull sounding due to the expected impedance mismatch if used as a guitar amp. Cab is slightly oversized and it sports a single Ceslestion 10” speaker.

AMP B is a 1988 Marshall Lead 12 combo for guitar. Solid-state as well and 1x10” speaker.

Maybe a surprise to some of you is that they were neither valve/tubes or emulated. Rather, good old solid-state technology. The funny thing is that for this demo I deliberately swapped the speakers. in other words, the Lead 12's speaker ended up in the Keyboard 20 and vice versa. :p

So in the clip above, AMP A (i.e. Keyboard 20) had the Lead 12's G10D-25 instead for this demo. The sonic impact and result was evident. It sounded okay but arguably it was a bit too bright and not enough lows. AMP B (i.e. Lead 12) on the other hand, became louder with the larger magnet speaker but sounded congested and too heavy in the mids. Similar to the effect of swapping a Greenback for a Vintage 30 speaker, if you know what I mean. Significant mid spike, clogged lows and not enough highs. Not surprisingly, nobody voted for it. I didn't like it either.

Now the amps have their “correct speaker” again: The Lead 12/G10D-25 sounds good for practice (although the lack of bass is slightly annoying) with tickling highs and twangy mids. At low gain settings it sounds surprisingly similar to a 50s, small American combo. At high gain and the bass knob cranked, it sounds like a JCM800 miniature amp. The Keyboard 20/G10L-35 has got rid of the unnecessary high end and the low end has returned in all its glory. I have to say that the Joyo / Keyboard 20 / G10L-35 combination sounds great. Vintage Vox with a hint of Marshall. Nice!

Thanks to everybody who took part in the poll. I must say I learnt a lot though doing this exercise and it reminded me how important the speakers are, even from the same manufacturer, dimensions and time frame.

If you have any questions just ask. Cheers!

80s%20marshalls_zpsr6efrjgd.jpg

20170524_202711_zpsdc6qopy2.jpg

Last edited:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Heh. I have the Joyo AC Tone and love it. Perhaps that's why I was drawn to clip A.

5F6-A

Reaction score
Ha ha. The AC Tone is a great pedal/preamp. The keyboard amp is over versatile and the Celestion completes the package for guitar. Cheers!

Latest Threads