Which case is the keeper..Lifton or newer Customshop case?

blastcap

Reaction score
Have two cases and one guitar. One will be used to ship another Les Paul. I have a newer Lifton Historic case that's brown with pink lining. The other is the newer black case with crushed maroon velvet lining and reads Gibson Custom. Both are mint.
The Lifton has the cool vintage vibe, but is it just my perception that the newer black ones offer more protection? Which would you keep?

the_lawyer

Reaction score
I have an older Lifton, which is more like an etui than a case....definitely a keeper!:thumb:

Curlymaple

Reaction score
....keep the black ones and sell me the Lifton case :naughty:

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
how well does the brown lifton reissue case close? How many latches actually line up properly? Those are the factors in deciding which case to keep. I prefer the black custom shop cases from 2010 and 2011 over the lifton reissue ones. I really don't care about the historical accuracy of them. It's a case, I want my guitar protected, and the newer lifton reissues from 2012 and current do not make me feel well when transporting etc.. not as if I have a real burst going in one anyway..

MonsterTop

Reaction score
I have (at least) six Liftons on my closet collecting dust. Worst cases ever. Vibe schmibe--I don't know about you, but I've never felt vibe comes from a case.

The Liftons are simply no comparison to the quality of the old black custom shop cases. Keep the black case and sell the Lifton for $$$.

Cyclave

Reaction score
I'd rather have a better case for a Lester than a cool looking, era accurate case any day. When I get my first Gibson, I'll probably craigslist the case and buy a Gator case or something cheaper and better.

1. Theft Deterrent - Believe it or not, walking around with a case that says 'Gibson' makes you a bigger target. There are members here who spray paint over the Gibson logo or sell their Gibson cases and just get an Epiphone one.

2. Cases are cases - Hopefully you aren't so fixated on appearances to make it more import than your guitar's safety. This isn't a phone cover, it's something you put your guitar in while not playing it.

3. If they both offer the same functionality, by all means go with the appearance. Lifton cases are much better looking imo.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
For protection i would take the old brown cases any day! For looks and vintage nostalgia the original historic Lifton case, not the new one, don't like it one bit. The black case is cool and all.

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7193.jpg

strat1701

Reaction score
I'd kill for the case my 91 studio came in (and kill for the guitar...)

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
Keep them both ,use the one to carry your baby around in that you feel offers the most protection and STAYS closed....

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard....on this forum I think.....that the NEW Lifton type cases have the better latches now....Like the 2012 cases. But I have yet to see them.

And Yes my 1999/99 Classic had the best case Gibson ever used, the one with the pink "Blankie" Nothing like satin and fur.....kinda gives me that "special" feeling......:shock:

rclausen

Reaction score
I prefer the black CS case over the new Lifton style for function

strat1701

Reaction score
I have heard....on this forum I think.....that the NEW Lifton type cases have the better latches now....Like the 2012 cases. But I have yet to see them.

And Yes my 1999/99 Classic had the best case Gibson ever used, the one with the pink "Blankie" Nothing like satin and fur.....kinda gives me that "special" feeling......:shock:

I beg to differ. Every 2013 spec lifton case I've had has sucked immensely. The only two that actually lined up and closed with relative ease were my two s/a perry's. And the 2012 cases were just as bad. I'm sorry for the price they charge for these guitars, the cases they give are utter shite, plain and simple. No sugar coating it. They up the prices every year so I guess they have to cut quality somewhere...

Pink blankie...hehehe mine had the pink fur towel....my buddy got a studio a year later and he got the satin sheet. He had blankie envy.... :D

mfolet

Reaction score

Yep,new ones are great!

P8050164-vi.jpg

strat1701

Reaction score
Yep,new ones are great!

P8050164-vi.jpg

When did these start coming out? Every 2013 model I've got only has that one 'good' clasp case. This is a step in the right direction though. Unless the dealers are shafting/switching out old cases with these new ones, I've bought 4 new 2013 spec CS guitars (two cc's) and all have the shitty clasps.

mfolet

Reaction score
When did these start coming out? Every 2013 model I've got only has that one 'good' clasp case. This is a step in the right direction though. Unless the dealers are shafting/switching out old cases with these new ones, I've bought 4 new 2013 spec CS guitars (two cc's) and all have the shitty clasps.
The first ones I saw were with the HOG limited run about 2 weeks ago.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was Mfolet!!! Thats who it was.....I knew it was this forum.....:D

I guess either Gibson is watching or they had some disasters they had to "cover" ....:hmm:

And yea... got a crap case with the shanks....

toymaker

Reaction score
Well..since your using one to ship a guitar, keep the lifton.

The lifton has issues on either version 1 (2003-08 or so) and 2 (2012-current).

V1 the brown cover chips and peels easily in my experience. V2 latches are hit or miss..some of mine are ok, others suck..but the more times you ship one..the more chance you risk damage or mis alignment.

The black cases are good for shipping, and offer a little better protection than a v1 lifton.

Black cases cost less than a lifton too

As others have stated..the case isnt what matters..its whats inside.

I like liftons..but if your seriously gigging, invest in a cheap beater case for travel. Its unlikely an uneducated thief would leave an epiphone but take a gibson case...all they know is a free guitar for the taking is a free guitar. Like stating a shoplifter only hits the high end store..no, he just goes where the pickungs are easiest..the high end just boost the reward if risk is equal

Latest Threads