which amp brands do you think have the cleanest cleans

nauc

Reaction score
i know its model dependent but overall, which 2, mass produced, amp brands stand out in your mind as having the cleanest cleans, tube wise that is

thanks

zontar

Reaction score
You should put tube int he thread title, if that's what you want.

No tube amps really sound clean to me--some are close, but they aren't clean--so I'll pick two any way--one SS (Roland) and the other hybrid--Legend--it had tubes & SS, and had a great clean channel, and a greta overdrive type channel.

MagPel

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a really clean guitar tube amp? I would argue that if you wanted that, you would not like what you got.
I bought my project amp as a tube hi-fi amplifier and i would think that it is as clean as you can get since the cicuit is designed to distort the signal as little as humanly possible. I would bet that 99% of guitar players wouldn't like that clean, cleans.
Now, after modifying the circuit for more distortion, the not so clean cleans sounds almost as clean but so much better.

So good sounding cleans, in my opinion, is way more desireable than really clean cleans. And that in itself is of course purely subjective so.... i dunno.

I like typing the word clean. Clean. :)

Barber

Reaction score
a Silverface ultralinear transformered fender amp, 50 watts +

eg, later 70's fender bassmans, twin reverbs.

Blues Rocker

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a really clean guitar tube amp? I would argue that if you wanted that, you would not like what you got.
I bought my project amp as a tube hi-fi amplifier and i would think that it is as clean as you can get since the cicuit is designed to distort the signal as little as humanly possible. I would bet that 99% of guitar players wouldn't like that clean, cleans.
Now, after modifying the circuit for more distortion, the not so clean cleans sounds almost as clean but so much better.

So good sounding cleans, in my opinion, is way more desireable than really clean cleans. And that in itself is of course purely subjective so.... i dunno.

I like typing the word clean. Clean. :)
I think Magpel is right on here. When talking clean, you need to understand that clean can mean and can take you where you may not want to go.

For instance, Fender is known for cleans. The Twin Reverb, for instance is a great example. Do I like Twins? Nope!

Now if you want luscious, harmonically layered rich cleans that are musically appealing to the ear, then consider a Marshall JTM-45. No joke! A -45 at lower volumes has delightful cleans. Why? because there is just enough distortion and driving of the tubes (even at low volumes) to make what is perceived as clean very desireable.

Make sense?

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
I think Magpel is right on here. When talking clean, you need to understand that clean can mean and can take you where you may not want to go.

For instance, Fender is known for cleans. The Twin Reverb, for instance is a great example. Do I like Twins? Nope!

Now if you want luscious, harmonically layered rich cleans that are musically appealing to the ear, then consider a Marshall JTM-45. No joke! A -45 at lower volumes has delightful cleans. Why? because there is just enough distortion and driving of the tubes (even at low volumes) to make what is perceived as clean very desireable.

Make sense?
+1!! My JTM has the RICHEST cleans I have ever heard, its even better with single coils, after playing the jtm with single coils it felt like something that was missing had been filled. It's different from fender cleans which are harder compared to the JTMs "springyness"

tnvnl

Reaction score
Well, basically there are 3.
There is Fender, and then there is Fender, and last, there is Fender.
EVERYTHING else wants to sound like a Fender, but only a Fender will do if you want the cleanest cleans.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Nauc, Not entirely sure what you mean by mass produced, so I'll add one to the list that you may disqualify. Ceriatone HRM Bluesmaster. It's a Dumble HRM clone. It's not mass produced in the sense of an assembly line pumping out thousands of amps, but it is a standard offering from a reputable manufacturer.

Dumble's design uses a crystal clear power amp, that then has a wild-ass preamp for OD. He took the Fender Twin design and made it even cleaner. These amps are probably the cleanest of all amps, extant. I have the 50W version, but there's a 100 watt model if you want to play the Super Bowl.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
When I need a clean tone, I think SF Twin. My old Bassman 100 was pretty clean too.

Hardrock

Reaction score
I will agree with most of the above in that to a large extent, through most reveiws/testimonials/experience over the years, Fender's seem to be the standard to which "clean" tones are measured. I also agree with Blues Rocker and JTM-45's, though I've never played one myself. But this may be in part to being so similar to a 5F6-A Bassman circuit, and that it runs KT-66's, which is a 6L6 variant (again going back to Fender). The Roland JC120 is also touted as being a great clean amp, though solid state.

twangydave

Reaction score
I had a laney vc30 212 that would stay clean right up to ear splitting volume with 'clean' tubes fitted.

nauc

Reaction score
Nauc, Not entirely sure what you mean by mass produced, so I'll add one to the list that you may disqualify. Ceriatone HRM Bluesmaster. It's a Dumble HRM clone. It's not mass produced in the sense of an assembly line pumping out thousands of amps, but it is a standard offering from a reputable manufacturer.

Dumble's design uses a crystal clear power amp, that then has a wild-ass preamp for OD. He took the Fender Twin design and made it even cleaner. These amps are probably the cleanest of all amps, extant. I have the 50W version, but there's a 100 watt model if you want to play the Super Bowl.
i just mean basically brands yould find at Guitar Center. like Fender, Marshall, Vox, Blackstar, Peavey, Mesa, Egnater, Orange etc

zplapplap

Reaction score
Fender Twin, it's as close to 'sterile' as you will get with a tube amp.
This. It offers ridiculous headroom and a switch from 100w to 25w. If I were purely concerned about clean tone and could afford more than one amp, I would simply buy a JC 120 and call it a day.

Axis39

Reaction score
Well, basically there are 3.
There is Fender, and then there is Fender, and last, there is Fender.
EVERYTHING else wants to sound like a Fender, but only a Fender will do if you want the cleanest cleans.

Fender IS clean.

That's the brand I think of when I think quality tube clean.

Oh and I don't think it has to be a cranked Twin... my Deluxe Reverb at lower volume sis ridiculously clean. My '63 Vibroverb is nice and clean... and FAT. On both of these amps with a 'Normal' Channel and a 'Bright (Vibroverb) and Tremelo (Deluxe) channel, I put a lower gain preamp tube in V1 and then have a super clean option. I like 12at7's here. They both give me beautiful jazzy clean tones.

ApostleTone

Reaction score

+1 for this post except their Over Tone Special may be better from what I understand but not positive of that. I have the 50w version too.

Either way, you asked about "mass produced" so that really takes them out of the equation.

I've heard others give praise to Marshalls for clean but probably fender is more of the industry standard. Although, most people don't buy tube amps for their clean sound.

Latest Threads