Where to get two-color Firebird V Pickguard?

kestrou

Reaction score
I have a Firebird V from the early 2000s (has banjo-style tuners) and I'd like to replace the pickguard with one that matches Johnny Winter's 1963 model.

The difference is that the Firebird logo on mine is "all red" (see below):

While the one I'm looking for is identical except the wings are red, but the body is blue.

Here's a pic of Johnny playing his, and it's a little tough to see,

but is EASILY seen on the Johnny Winter Tributes that Gibson released a few years ago:

FYI - not to be confused with the 1976 Bicentennial pickguard where the bird body is blue, but the head of the bird is stars.

So - can anybody point me to a source for a two-color Firebird V Pickguard? I've googled to no avail!

kestrou

74JMP

Reaction score
Doubt you find one unless it is a hand made custom job...I don't even see many for the new ones. Get a new one, remove the ink and get an artist to color in the lines might be your best bet

Dougie

Reaction score
The red and blue ones were for the Bicentennial reissues, '76 - '78. Ebay

ehamady6

Reaction score
If the logo is etched into your pickguard then I'd just paint fill the bird's body with a blue paint marker.

Clyde Billt

Reaction score
FYI - not to be confused with the 1976 Bicentennial pickguard where the bird body is blue, but the head of the bird is stars.
The red and blue ones were for the Bicentennial reissues, '76 - '78. Ebay
OP doesn't want the Bi-Centennial.
If you look at lefty's link you can see the top half of the bird is blue with white stars but on Johnny's guitar it is just a blue outline.

Looks like getting in touch with a decal maker and asking for one to be printed up on to a waterslide or maybe acrylic might be the cheapest way to go.
Other than that, getting in touch with Gibson or having someone draw one out for you would seem to be your only options

Southpaw66

Reaction score
Kestrou, I'm glad you asked this question first regarding the blue/red body in the FB logo! lol.
I was gonna ask about this awhile ago, but thought it might be too trivial to worry about!
I've always liked the look of those bicentennial FB's logos.
I have one of the new 2013 FB's in Lefty (sunburst), so I know I'm not gonna be able to find one with aftermarket parts.
So it looks like I'll have to try with Sharpies. But I'm afraid to use a regular one, because I don't want it to look sloppy on the top surface. I'm hoping to find sharpies with a more detailed fine point before I try it.
Keep us posted on how you make out!