Where to get thumbwheels,

TKOjams

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source where I can buy just thumbwheels in quantity?
As with many other parts used on guitars, they must be used for something else, somewhere, right?:hmm:

Bigsby'd

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure this out for years. I ended up having a machine shop spin off a few dozen for me for my own bridges.

TKOjams

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure this out for years. I ended up having a machine shop spin off a few dozen for me for my own bridges.
Well now, that's not very encouraging...:laugh2:

They must be used somewhere else in manufacturing.:fingersx:

poro78

Noble savage
Reaction score
Straight from Tonepros (or other manufactor)?

Callaham, maybe?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

TKOjams

Reaction score
I would bet that Kenny, from Philadelphia Luthier Supply could give you a deal on a quantity purchase (as long as you're not looking for something that's 100% vintage accurate):

Steel ABR-1 Bridge Thumbwheels with coarse knurling fits USA Gibson® Nickel - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

Brass ABR-1 Bridge Thumbwheels with fine knurling fits USA Gibson® Nickel - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

Frank
Hi Frank, I don't care if they're vintage accurate. Thanks for the heads up.
Ken

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Contact Rockford Carving. They are the OEM manufacturer for nearly everything Gibson used in their guitars, and for many other manufacturers as well.

But, be forewarned, Rockford Carving doesn't seem to respond to emails on a consistent basis. They may not have much interest in selling a handful of parts to a smalltime operator.

I think persistence will pay off.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
I've been making my own for over a year now.

is there anything special about them that you want?

and I've supplied other makers with some of my parts as well.

here is a close up of the thumb wheels ( and bridge feet) I've been makings.. but I can make several different styles now.

and I can polish the brass for a gold look or I can nickle plate them.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I was going to set up one of my little Unimat lathes to run replicas. But I just couldn't justify paying $1000 for a custom size pair of cutter wheels. I figured that if I did not set up for replica, sure as shootin', people would only want the replica specs. I think Retro gets $40 for two lengths of stainless 6-32 and two replica wheels. McMaster -Carr has some practical ones.

Latest Threads