Where is Gibson Getting This Wood - AAA I Don't Think So

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I agree. I love Gibson but I think most people who are in the market for les Paul are concerned more about how the guitar plays rather than be concerned about AA or AAA top. I mean AA or AAA tops are cool. I see how some can go for that….
So very true indeed, but they up the price for a more premium top and the top is not more premium right now.

Nintari

Reaction score
I like it, personally. Flames give off too much of an 80's, hair metal vibe for me. The subtler the better.

wmachine

Reaction score
My 2015 Trad Pro A top (single A)

AL9nZEVTR-4hJBr-vzienSDJNB8CaesujLi5THsW0m_bxoueOjAf-sPnFQrciBUNzGYBF4Ni1SZ3CE0T8Zwwx7NJk0FTsCfVGO66CjlmyhosGoPPnchItqRE819qoaSWvUDR6_qX1FdOBB2S4RJF_t6foMfH=w484-h859-no

My 2015 LP Traditional. A+ top

AL9nZEVLT2EE4OKA22lePVpoAnExqUm2GV0LKlO8FPYiF7t58fl7Ke1VktzzyS39SSPn0Lo69v9VPkzW9x2pKLS2fsfe6Ng1rNliuJOCPsxMh5XA1DxUXGqb9AWRKNiieONhnRYIzsVCAtTFCyXv9Jly2LxR=w484-h859-no

Last edited:

Plant man

Reaction score
Never judge the intensity and quality of the flame based on a Sweetwater photo. I tell my engineer every time we talk that they need to get a better location and lighting setup for photos. I make him go take pics of the tops with his cell phone to get a better idea of how they actually look.

There lighting is truly atrocious.
Yeah their pictures look overblown and too bright. You honestly would have a better picture of the guitar if the lights weren’t too bright

DBDM

Reaction score
There is no standardization of the grading of maple. Anyone can call any flame any number of As they wish.

As for the Sweetwater photos, remember that with Eastern Maple, the flame has a "3D effect" that is not always apparent in the photos. Many of these guitars look quite pedestrian in photos but can be amazing when seen in person.

Western Bigleaf Maple (as pictured in the blue LP posted by @wmachine above) has flame that is much finer and more prounounced but Western Bigleaf Maple does not typically exhibit the 3D effect like Eastern Hard Maple (Sugar Maple) has. Western Maple photographs quite well and what you see is what you get.

Eastern Maple is much harder than Western Maple and some believe it has a different tone (and is usually heavier). Western is softer (still very hard) and has the fine, regular, tight flame.

Edit--in the Sweetwater photo described in the OP, I am certain there is a large amount of this 3D effect because the flame looks totally different in photos from different angles. Personally, I love the 3D flame and would have no problem buying this guitar and returning it if the flame did not match the description.

DaveSG

Reaction score

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow that is a nice top. Aaaaaaaaaand...its gone.
Yep, I thought it was a really nice top, very sweet. Also, a nice light 9lbs, which some lucky person got it. I hope it is setup well.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Yep, I thought it was a really nice top, very sweet. Also, a nice light 9lbs, which some lucky person got it. I hope it is setup well.
Yeah, I remember earlier on in the pandemic (before the price increase) I saw this incredible topped LP (lemonburst if I remember) over at Wildwood's site, as in, good enough that I saw other people on here commenting on that very same guitar, it was noticeably better than all their other LPs, even among the 'hand selected top' guitars. I was half-tempted to get it, just to keep it for resale eventually since I knew it would hold its value, but alas, I'm a lefty and it didn't really make and sense so I decided against it. Right after that it was snapped up by someone, and I really hoped that I would one day see it again as a NGD post on this forum. Maybe someone will find this forum and post it in one of the lemonburst threads we've got.

rumble

Reaction score
Yeah, agreed that the quality of tops has been a bit inconsistent for a while, but are still out there though.

My 2021 Standard:

7538A4EC-6F26-46AF-9639-26F0EE00A311.jpeg

DaveSG

Reaction score
Its interesting how each era has their own peculiarities or themes. I haven't been looking at LPs consistently, but I have noticed that around the mid-2000s you saw a lot of bbq tops and straight consistent flame, which I sort of like. Around 2013 - 2018 I can recall seeing quite a few amazing tops on seemingly regular guitars, no upcharge. I feel like this era is sort of marked by the lightly flamed plaintop with some figure poking through the center, and half & half tops that seem to go light/dark based on lighting and look 1/2 figured, 1/2 plain. WIth the occasional standout top thrown in. I do think the tops today seem a bit more vintag-y than of previous eras.

Latest Threads