Where is Gibson Getting This Wood - AAA I Don't Think So

jaqueh

Reaction score
Yes. But still should apply to the standards listed as AAA tops. Same difference just some different hardware
Yeah I think they are reserving the good tops for wildwood and slash. The 50s is actually specked as just having a maple top and the 60s is aa

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
Yeah I think they are reserving the good tops for wildwood and slash. The 50s is actually specked as just having a maple top and the 60s is aa
That's a fair statement. Like I said I would have settled on a couple different 50s ones had they not been so ugly, and then I happened to get lucky

jaqueh

Reaction score
That's a fair statement. Like I said I would have settled on a couple different 50s ones had they not been so ugly, and then I happened to get lucky
yeah totally agree. the regular line of 50s and 60s has been a crapshoot!

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Yup, I'll attest as a 21' LP Standard buyer, it was not a good year for wood choices. I also found A LOT of lackluster top choices. But we've also discussed on another thread how the rosewood fingerboards for this year have been very dry and not very consistent color wise. I was patient and found a top I was pretty happy with. (I actually don't like super flamed tops, just enough so you can see it at angles) And I'm gonna go in and oil up the fingerboard the first chance I get to change strings.

Here, rate my top:

Attachments

• DSC_0441.jpeg
    DSC_0441.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0428.jpeg
    DSC_0428.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 94

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I have to agree. I have a 60’s AA top and it’s plain. I just bought a PRS and that really drove home how different a good flame top is…

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sure it's always been hit or miss for a great top when you purchase site unseen, but in the past there were still some flames at least. Now, it seems most are plain tops with very little flame.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Yup, I'll attest as a 21' LP Standard buyer, it was not a good year for wood choices. I also found A LOT of lackluster top choices. But we've also discussed on another thread how the rosewood fingerboards for this year have been very dry and not very consistent color wise. I was patient and found a top I was pretty happy with. (I actually don't like super flamed tops, just enough so you can see it at angles) And I'm gonna go in and oil up the fingerboard the first chance I get to change strings.

Here, rate my top:
That's a good top and definitely oil that board!

Spyderg0d

Reaction score
Agree with thread title. My 2005 studio premium plus with AAA+ top is better than current AAAA+. My 2017 studio premium plus, which is pre-bankruptcy by a few months, is labeled AAA+, and by far not as good as the 2005. I wandered into my local gibson dealer a week ago and every single standard on the wall looked like it had that crappy recent "faded" top. As in its "faded" as an excuse to have plain old completely left field grain pattern from epiphany left overs after they shave the the tops for veneers. LOL. I admitted to the dealer that I wouldn't pay $2g for a guitar that was almost embarrassing to be seen with. I'd rather buy an old studio for a few hundred and spend the grand for refinish.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
I picked up this 2021 Slash, because I couldn’t find a 50’s Standard with a decent top and weight, I like the top on the Slash and it’s under 8lbs
View attachment 570355 View attachment 570357
That is phenomenal flaming. The Slash's are basically 50's Standard's with custom calibrated alnico II's for a more bitey tone. And definitely, it looks like they're also getting the top maple caps. The trend at Gibson has always been toward catering to the upper levels of the market. Pretty soon, if you want anything of quality from them, you'll have to fork over Custom Shop bread. I'm pissed they moved the LP Custom into Custom shop. It should be back in the Gibson U.S.A. Line, so that it's sanely priced. I'm talking about the Modern NON-REISSUE Customs. Damn money grubbing...

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Scratch that, just checked some makes over at sweetwater (Slash Standards). Some lousy tops there too. It probably has to do with all the supply chain issues/Cutting corners to lower cost (i.e. buying from cheaper wood sources)

Spyderg0d

Reaction score
Eh. It's deffinatly either supply, or just shabby craftsmanship.
I put a few possibities. Either the company is "adjusting" with less quality tops to span the sales losses in the bankruptcy for recovery, or... they are purposefully slobbing off crappy tops because they don't have the supply of proper wood, and still scamming buyers with sub parts level woods.

Even if there's a shortage of quality top maple, they should be capitalizing on it. Produce a bunch of cheap studios and tributes, sell the customs, standards, premiums at higher prices for demand value.
I'd be mad AF if I ordered a 2-4k AAAA+ top and got a crap top guitar in the mail.
*send it back*.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I just went to Sweetwater again to look at what's available, and it was very disappointing looking at all the available guitars and the tops to choose from. I did like one lemonburst top, but that was it, only 1 top I really liked. It was not even flamed, it just had a nice look to it, with a darker dirty lemon compared to the lighter ones.

northernbreed

Reaction score
This is how it looked on website
View attachment 570162

This is what it looks like in reality
View attachment 570161

I think they will look better in person, Note this was advertised as AA

Sometimes they look better at the bar, then once you wake up the next day you say Wholey Schitt, you gotta go.
It's a crapshoot.

Please get those red pickup rings off of there quick. Thanks so much.

Latest Threads