Where in the hell are all the dedicated guys? (SUPER LONG POST)

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
I apologize ,,, for not reading the whole OP .... but if this is about gettin a band together etc.......

Learn how to play and program all the isstruments yourself ... lay down your own tracks ... write your own music .... mix it down ....

and then hold fu=king interviews with prospective other folks that like what you have going and have no problem starting out playing the notes you tell um too ...

or ya can just play with any dam body and in up in a huge FUBAR deal ..... waste of time ... and ya end up shooting everyone while you do a left hand only solo ... right hand pulling the trigger ....

then ya got all the hole diggin and ... dam I think I broke the first shovel ... got a cheap one .... then went with quality on the third try ....

So ah ........... I don't know nuthin bout all dat......

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When your bands members have eight other gigs each, you're going to suck hind tit a bit while they're off with those bands making their dough. If you don't like that, pay them more. If you cannot do that, find players who are hungrier.

This is the problem with all my musician freinds, they
all have like five band projects going at the same time
so you never know how dedicated they really are to your
band. My last band project got half way through our recording
then my other two members had to do thier projects, six months
later they want to work again, and well i just lost intrest.

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
I apologize ,,, for not reading the whole OP .... but if this is about gettin a band together etc.......

Learn how to play and program all the isstruments yourself ... lay down your own tracks ... write your own music .... mix it down ....

and then hold fu=king interviews with prospective other folks that like what you have going and have no problem starting out playing the notes you tell um too ...

or ya can just play with any dam body and in up in a huge FUBAR deal ..... waste of time ... and ya end up shooting everyone while you do a left hand only solo ... right hand pulling the trigger ....

then ya got all the hole diggin and ... dam I think I broke the first shovel ... got a cheap one .... then went with quality on the third try ....

So ah ........... I don't know nuthin bout all dat......

And out the door I went. :laugh2:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1. Stop looking for players in your age group; you're serious about your music, and most of your peers are still waiting for their balls to drop. Besides, you'll look that much cooler being the young gun, surrounded by older dudes, and you'll prolly also sound that much better as well, because your rhythm section and singer will be that much more likely to have manly chops. :laugh2:

2. You're the guitarist, and it IS your act. You are solely responsible for scheduling rehearsals, making set lists, deciding on arrangements, booking gigs, handling promotion, etc. At least until you get enough rep for managers and booking agents to handle that stuff for you. You are NOT in a band situation; you're the star, you call the shots, and you carry the weight. Deal with it.

3. Go deep with your backup musicians; I have 3 drummers and 3 bassists on tap, plus a host of people that play various instruments who are available to sit in for a few tunes here and there, just to keep things varied and interesting for the audience at a 4 hour gig. If the guys you hire are adults, they're that much more likely to be where they say they're gonna be, and do what they say they're gonna do.

4. If you buy a cup of coffee from the local shop, and it sucks, do you go back and buy another? No, of course not. You must be willing to fire people that don't meet your standards on any account, and they have to stay fired, forever.

I think doing the above would go a long way towards making your gigging situation alot more pleasant for everyone involved. In my experience, you'll get alot more respect from your musicians if you're willing to be a dick whenever that's needed, and telling folks how it's gonna be, and then demanding that they toe the line or GTFO. A gigging act is a business, plain and simple, and has to be managed accordingly.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
This is the problem with all my musician freinds, they
all have like five band projects going at the same time
so you never know how dedicated they really are to your
band. My last band project got half way through our recording
then my other two members had to do thier projects, six months
later they want to work again, and well i just lost intrest.

It's kinda like that whole "does she like me, or do I like her more than she likes me?" thing that I suffered through in high school.

dudu

Reaction score
There are more bands/projects than there are songs.

Finding people with the exact same motivation who also click musically is a bitch. The two did happen to me, but never at the same time. So I learned to play drums, bass, even fiddled with keyboards at some point. The only thing I can't do is sing. Finding a good and willing singer has proven far more daunting than anything. Nowadays I'd be grateful to find one (for the bunch of songs on Soundclick that I haven't completed), I don't mind doing the rest.

At this painfully slow rate of 4-5 songs a year that I do on my own (as a hobby - although a strong one - I do something else for a living) I still do more than I used to do while figuring a stable and functional band lineup.

nick1962

Reaction score
A pretty harsh experience! Our lead singer continually forgets his lyrics but my problems pale compared to yours. Get older players in, they may be more mature.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't suppose I can give you any advice that's any better than what the others have already supplied you with!

Best of luck to you, though. And hang in there while you figure your next move. Be patient, too. Sometimes it takes a while for the right combination to come up.

--R

brandoniusrex

Reaction score
Hind Tit Suck and The Hungry Beavers? I'd go see that! :thumb::laugh2: I think I now grok what you said in your first post slacky, was a tad jumbled and hard to follow! Also, the doing all my stuff then bringing them in sounds like a pretty cool idea to get everyone on the same page too!

Lespaul01: I'll be sure to [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7IEuwyToc]YouTube - ‪Come On, Pt. 1 by. Jimi Hendrix‬‏[/ame]

colsteal2: Yeah, there's one of the *big* issues unfortunately.

mudfinger: Your post helped a ton, and I'm really going to keep all that in mind :applause::thumb:

dudu: Hope things go well for you, the song in your sig sounds pretty kickass!:thumb:

Nick: that's one of my main plans here now methinks.

Roberteaux: Thanks for the encouragement :dude:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
There are no dedicated guys. I have a drummer. I have "brainwashed" him. He follows my playing. I have had two power trios. One in 92 another in 2008. First one broke up after drummer stopped showing for practice. Second trio drummer wanted to take pillls and pass out:laugh2:

I said screw it. I begged my guitar tech to play drums. He is a REAL player. Great guitarist. Sympathetic drummer. Plays bass. I'm happy. GIVE ME ONE GOOD MAN! I will continue solo if Bill flakes on me. I don't think he will. I give NO pressure. I joke that I'm the fat girl who is getting laid:laugh2: No demands!

R+R is in the blood. It burns hot. No half-bakes need apply! I will play ALONE one hack guitar and raspy vocals against the world. I will NEVER quit again. 18 years was long enough!:shock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2AleuLVtE4]YouTube - ‪Hasil Adkins - Chicken Walk‬‏[/ame]

moodyedge

Reaction score
ha man................I feel the grief here of the struggling musician.....and the mind numbing frustration of the whole jive......Im just about to throw in the towel with my poxy band...Im impressed youve found so many musicians....We have a bass player now whos out in august after the last booked gig..so after that I dont think I can be arsed to find another because there jsut isnt any here. Plenty of people who think they rock and like lame music.....But mainly loads of bedroom superheros call themselves 'band seeking......' who happen to be looking for drummers and bass players......and singers...so thats pretty much a guitar player wanting a band to join and why they cant just say that I have no idea.

Bands are just not worth the hasstle Ive found out after starting one..I do everything in my band...getting gigs, trying to replace members, (being a man down at the end of summer might be the straw that broke the camels back) Ive had ads posted for months and only one pathetic lead...which turned out to be garbage....

I write, record and mix the songs....booking practice every week and then tell every1 when and where.....carting the gear around..................the lot and Ive had a tit full of it. I dont want an award Id just like other to muck in, get some gigs....phone some places.....If I do nothing, nothing happens so whats the point? I was very into it a few months back.........but.....feb this year my interest took a swift nosedive. It just isnt what Id like it to be....Limitations.

Id had more fun this past week playing Thin Lizzy songs in my bedroom.

brandoniusrex

Reaction score
ha man................I feel the grief here of the struggling musician.....and the mind numbing frustration of the whole jive......Im just about to throw in the towel with my poxy band...Im impressed youve found so many musicians....We have a bass player now whos out in august after the last booked gig..so after that I dont think I can be arsed to find another because there jsut isnt any here. Plenty of people who think they rock and like lame music.....But mainly loads of bedroom superheros call themselves 'band seeking......' who happen to be looking for drummers and bass players......and singers...so thats pretty much a guitar player wanting a band to join and why they cant just say that I have no idea.

Bands are just not worth the hasstle Ive found out after starting one..I do everything in my band...getting gigs, trying to replace members, (being a man down at the end of summer might be the straw that broke the camels back) Ive had ads posted for months and only one pathetic lead...which turned out to be garbage....

I write, record and mix the songs....booking practice every week and then tell every1 when and where.....carting the gear around..................the lot and Ive had a tit full of it. I dont want an award Id just like other to muck in, get some gigs....phone some places.....If I do nothing, nothing happens so whats the point? I was very into it a few months back.........but.....feb this year my interest took a swift nosedive. It just isnt what Id like it to be....Limitations.

Id had more fun this past week playing Thin Lizzy songs in my bedroom.

You sound just like me, down to the Thin Lizzy love. Blasting Cowboy Song right now.

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bfci-dNjvE]YouTube - ‪Thin Lizzy Montage-Dedication‬‏[/ame]

Latest Threads