Where Does the Tone Come From in a Guitar Amplifier?

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
It's interesting, but I miss some transparency.

How much post edit/processing is used?

I'm amazed with full volume and balls to the wall clips there where NO hissing or buzzing noises with a single coil telecaster or from the amps.

Also a special choice for testing rectifiers. No huge transients like palm muting to "shock" the system. Only chords and single note phrases.

Sure you can get some amps to sound the same. But how different can you get then to be? Isn't that the actual interesting part of amps? That how far apart can you take one amp from the other?

He mentions some things without really testing those things and quickly moves on

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I didn’t even listen to the vid, because I have no luck telling tones apart over computer speakers. Instead, this is my own experience only. I have high and low dollar guitars. Pups are humbuckers, P90s, and single coils. With my tube amps, their controls, and the controls on the guitars, I can pick out an amp and get the same tone out of all the guitars. Now all three of the amps sound different, but switching guitars on any of them makes no real difference with a little dialing in. It makes me think that instead of three amps and 12 guitars, I should have three guitars and 12 amps.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, the speaker choice does make a difference. And what is the Crystal lattice?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Cool. A player that is better than me (almost everybody) will clearly sound better! I was speaking that, with a player of given ability (good or not so good) the amp makes a greater difference than the guitar (provided, of course that the guitars are properly set up for the player)

Miki Dord MJ

Reaction score

Jim Lill does it again. Very thought-provoking video.
IMHO it's only provoking in order to gain klicks and attention. His video about ''air'' guitar was hilarious, but a lot of people liked it. Dude was playing a huge massive tables and call it ''air'' guitars, and conclusion was that materials and mass etc doesn't matter. Which was silly, maybe due to lack of knowledge about basics of physics and experience. Or He just pretend in order to be provocative and gain attention and those clicks.

For me personally when ever i watch the YT were someone is mocking the science, it's kind of sad and a bit worrying to me. Also as someone told, compressed recording over YT won't mean a lot when it comes to sound quality. But for sure it is fan for some people and i understand that, i don't mind to watch it partially. IMHO It's a show, but it ain't a research nor real testing.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
So the tone comes from the circuit and speakers

WOAHHH!!!!!!
Well, some tube amps can, when built, be tuned to produce certain musical tones. If you are ordering a custom anp, I have found. it possible to describe in words the tone you want, some builders understand, and some may not. It is difficult to describe a tone in mere words. If you buy an amp off the rack, be sure to test play it and others to ensure it has the basic tone and response you want. Find one that does. Once you find an amp with your basic tome, it is easy to use the knobs on the amp and guitar to get the variations you want. Speakers are important too.,I found that I was using speakers great for large venues with about 105 db/1meter/1Watt. Wrong for me as a small venue player. I changed to speakers with a lower specific efficiency, and all is well.

Last edited:

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes from the input and leaves through the speaker(s) ;)

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes from cash. The more cash you have, the more tone you can buy. Simple.
:p

redking

Reaction score
Tone comes from the neck of the guitar :)

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
It's interesting, but I miss some transparency.

How much post edit/processing is used?

I'm amazed with full volume and balls to the wall clips there where NO hissing or buzzing noises with a single coil telecaster or from the amps.

Also a special choice for testing rectifiers. No huge transients like palm muting to "shock" the system. Only chords and single note phrases.

Sure you can get some amps to sound the same. But how different can you get then to be? Isn't that the actual interesting part of amps? That how far apart can you take one amp from the other?

He mentions some things without really testing those things and quickly moves on
He used a looper to play the riffs, that should partly explain lack of hissing and buzzing, but really with an amp cranked while playing there won’t be any buzzing due to signal to noise ratio, and such noise is usually only present when there is no signal, unless there is something wrong with the amp or there is dirty power.

In my view he very accurately dispels alot of myths about bias and rectifiers, tube vs solid state, etc.

For example, that power tube distortion is what makes amps sound different; it’s a very small difference in most cases. And the difference between solid state and tube power amps aren’t that much!

His test clearly shows that what does make amps sound different, clean or distorted, has more to do with the gain staging and eq circuitry before the power amp, and even then all amps can be made to sound quite similar.

Obviously the variety of amp options makes for many possible combinations, but you can get a wide variety of different, albeit the same results in often unexpected ways, regardless of advertising jargon.

Which he clearly demonstrates by building an amp with pedals in a tacklebox!

Another video he makes a speaker box out of styrofoam … lol

If you haven’t, I recommend trying this setup, it’s totally killer! Use a headphone amp of your liking, (I’ve used a Vox Classic Rock and Metal, plugged into a Mackie and then a 5K watt PA system with Dual 15” speakers with horns, or similar.) You can EQ to your choice and also use the FX send returns to dial in just about any tone you like!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
pickguard on...other wise all the tonrz leak out the screwholes.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Probably what shocked me the most was the fact that the rebel 30 was still functional…

I went through 2 in about a months time, that was enough for me to stay away from them.

Latest Threads